User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
JamesOn2Wheels OP
Banned

Oddometer: 422
installing manual oil pressure in airhead

So I've had 7 airheads and never done this.....Installed the oil pressure gauge in dash, ran the lines nice and neat, pulled the sender unit...it's straight 12mm x 1.5 damn the sender adaptor for the manual gauge is NPT....

almost the same size, a hair bigger, but thread pitch is practically identical

so what is the fix - tap out sender boss to NPT, ???

Zig
JamesOn2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
I think I remember someone taking an old BMW sender and gutting it out, tapping the inside of that for npt, making it a rube-goldberg bushing... should work! You can make it as elegant or as ugly as you would like....

If you tap the block, it would be non-reversable, and you would want to make DAMSURE that you don't get any little tappy-pieces left in the oil passages... DAMSURE....since that is downstream of the oil filter....

Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
JamesOn2Wheels OP
Banned

Oddometer: 422
3 hrs on the 'net and found an adaptor

Summit Racing

800 230 3030

12mm x 1.5 to 1/8 NPT part number 2277 from Autometer, $9.45

Zigeuner53 screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 08:17 AM Reason: price
JamesOn2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
coastranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
the adapter is the wsay to go, Id go electrical however. Ive actually been toying wiht the idea of a elec trmp gauge in place of the clock on my rt
coastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,522
I just finished installing an oil pressure gauge on a K-bike, that one was a bit tricky because I mounted a Tee to retain the oil pressure light together with the gauge.

But the adapter, 12x1.5 to 1/8 NPT I found at an Hydraulic shop for less than $2.00 and of much better quality than the cheap ones they sometimes sell with the "adapter kits" for them gauges.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
I just finished installing an oil pressure gauge on a K-bike, that one was a bit tricky because I mounted a Tee to retain the oil pressure light together with the gauge.

But the adapter, 12x1.5 to 1/8 NPT I found at an Hydraulic shop for less than $2.00 and of much better quality than the cheap ones they sometimes sell with the "adapter kits" for them gauges.

Thank you for that...!!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner53 View Post
Summit Racing

800 230 3030

12mm x 1.5 to 1/8 NPT part number 2277 from Autometer, $9.45
Photos of your completed set up?

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
I used an electric VDO gauge which is rated to light up the oil lamp at around 0.6 bar, or double that the OE switch of around 0.3 bar. Adds some measure of safety with an earlier warning. The other terminal connects directly to the electric VDO gauge. With the VDO switch and adapter, it is almost impossible to directly mount it on the oil sender hole due to space constraints. The shifter is there and the odd shape of the crankcase/tranny and VDO switch make it next to impossible. It is also in danger of getting accidentally kicked by my boot. I decided to get a fitting which screws in the oil sender hole (think it was M12 x 1.5), had a hydraulic shop crimp a high pressure oil hose (enough to reach near the tool tray), and a female fitting at the other end for the VDO switch.

See the oil line and sender stretching to the rear of the tank (bottom right area).

My gauge is on the left.

Have had the set-up for some years now. No leaks or any issues whatsoever. With my oil filter canister now at a depth of 4.3mm and with 4 metal shims, I would really like to know what my oil pressure is at any time

HTH...
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #9
a_bakla
A&F

Oddometer: 120
I used electrical ones..works well
connection just near the oil lamp sensor...I dont want to move the pressured oil up to handlebar...
sensor is in safe between carb and cylinder

for temp
a_bakla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 512
I found an adapter together with a 90 degree fitting many years ago which had the same thread size as the standard oil pressure switch, and I used a length of 1/4" brake tubing which runs along the lower frame rails, detours up behind the battery and terminates inside the r/h sidecover with a tee. The oil pressure sender unit is at one end of the tee, and the pressure switch is at the other end.

I painted the brake tubing black and secured it with cable ties, and it just looks like a length of electrical wiring at first glance. It's been fitted for years now with no problems.

'Skills are learned, talent is ornate.' Billie
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
I found an adapter together with a 90 degree fitting many years ago which had the same thread size as the standard oil pressure switch, and I used a length of 1/4" brake tubing which runs along the lower frame rails, detours up behind the battery and terminates inside the r/h sidecover with a tee. The oil pressure sender unit is at one end of the tee, and the pressure switch is at the other end.

I painted the brake tubing black and secured it with cable ties, and it just looks like a length of electrical wiring at first glance. It's been fitted for years now with no problems.
I think you are the one who gave me the solution.....how to mount an electric oil pressure gauge in tight spaces. Just what I did with the K-bike but had a braided SS line made....costed more than the gauge! Eventually will do the same to the GS.

Unless you make them with an adapter,them one piece Tee fittings are now impossible to find, however they used to be available for just that purpose, mounting a gauge and light on some VWs. I should have bought "a few" back in the Eighties.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bakla View Post
I used electrical ones..works well
connection just near the oil lamp sensor...I dont want to move the pressured oil up to handlebar...
sensor is in safe between carb and cylinder

You need more gauges.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:28 AM   #13
a_bakla
A&F

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
You need more gauges.

a_bakla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bakla View Post

And you better get some gas!

But seriously, these are all great solutions. I've only set a pressure gauge up temporarily and ran a pressure line up to the gauge strapped to the handlebars. Only ran it for a few weeks that way. It was a weak point just waiting to fail but I got the information I needed.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote