ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
Rufjeep OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
SE TN trails info and pics

Well, there have been some interesting rides lately into the Sequatchee Valley, Prentice Cooper, and who knows what other trail systems here in SE TN. If anyone is interested, I would like us to use this thread to pool our knowledge of the various trails/ riding areas in this area; a sort of "go to" resource when someone has the itch to come this way and ride.

This is not a thread for pavement or gravel roads (unless they are being used to link trails). If you post a gravel road or pavement ride, you will be severely mocked and ridiculed as a limp wristed, latte sipping, candy ass.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
Rufjeep OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Big Fork- a link between Prentice and Signal

Since I started this thread (and may be its only participant), I will post first. I frequently use Big Fork road as a cut-through between Signal Mountain (hwy 127) and Suck Creek road (to get to Prentice Cooper or to drop down to the Sequatchee Valley).

Big Fork has a fair amount of trails, and is fine place to pick up a used matress or some old appliances. If you are into recycling beer cans, this is your place. I ran across a burned out F150 in there, and was lucky enough to find a half-full bottle of Evan Williams (turned out to just be rain water).

All that being said, if you are packing heat or are confident in your ability to outrun some tweaker in a stolen F150, it's a fun place to poke around in.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
Rufjeep OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There are some rocky areas in Big Fork...looks like some rock crawlers get in there. Points for "no dabbing" this:
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2011, 04:28 AM   #4
Rufjeep OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Big fork cont.

One last pic of Big Fork, and this shows why I will probably continue to go in there. If you like technical riding, there are some pretty cool features. There are also some pretty impressive hillclimbs (that I will happily watch someone else do). Oh, and I got a flat on this ride...don't know if it was a pinch flat or I ran across someones shiv.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
motomark39
I reckon so

Oddometer: 1,062
Map please

Was wondering if you could show these ares on some kinda map to give an out of stater a clue
Old 08-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
TanasiRob
Banned

Oddometer: 977
Damn Ruf -

You tryin' to invite the rest of the internet into our playgrounds?
TanasiRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Rufjeep OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanasiRob View Post
Damn Ruf -

You tryin' to invite the rest of the internet into our playgrounds?
TS- I was actually thinking about that. You know, there are some spots that are fairly well known and where use is not an issue. Big Fork, as far as I can tell, has far bigger issues that some dual sport riders coming through. Prentice Cooper is open. SV, quite frankly, is only going to appeal to a limit number of riders. But, there are some trails on Signal (and I am sure in everyone elses local areas) that I won't post; land use is to too finicky to advertise. That should be a judgement call by anyone who chooses to share information on their local (or newly explored) trails.

But, it would be really nice to pool our ride reports and new (advertisable) discoveries so all of us can plan and enjoy better rides.

As for how to access Big Fork road: The road is located a couple of miles west of the turn off to Prentice Cooper off Suck Creek Rd (27). You will turn into what looks to be a subdivision, but the road keeps going. After you stop seeing houses, you will see a fairly used dirt road veer off the road on the left. Take it. If you stay on that "road", you will eventually come out on Taft Hwy (US 127)...so obviously it can be accessed from 127 as well. If you use Google Maps, and search for "Prentice Copper, TN", you can scroll up 27 and will see Big Fork Road.

For me, Big Fork is a handy link between Signal and Prentice or SV; a fun way to link several different trail systems.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Rufjeep OP
Gnarly Adventurer

TS- You know, if area locals are against the idea of sharing this knowledge because of fear of "invaders", I can respect that. No worries. We can just let this fade away...wife says I am a blabber, so hell, it really might be a bad idea.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
TanasiRob
Banned

Oddometer: 977
No Biggie man - I just worry about land owners getting miffed because of increased traffic in what is normally the middle of nowhere.
TanasiRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Rufjeep OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanasiRob View Post
No Biggie man - I just worry about land owners getting miffed because of increased traffic in what is normally the middle of nowhere.
You are right, too. I guess I was primarily thinking about the types of things that are already being posted on ride reports & various threads of the regional forums. But, I totally agree that somethings rabsolutely need to remain "invitation or discovery only"
Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
"invitation or discovery only"
Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
motomark39
I reckon so

Oddometer: 1,062
ok

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
dbryan
n00b

Oddometer: 6
How does one rate an invitation to check these places out. I'm relatively new to the Chattanooga area and ride a Weestrom with stock wheels, so I can't do the real technical stuff, but Prentice Cooper-type trails and dirt roads are what I'm looking for.
dbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 189
I'd like to explore the Signal Mtn areas myself and I hear Prentice is awesome; however, living on the opposite side of town, I rarely get over there.

I would stay on the FS roads and away from privately owned areas. Here's a little reminder of a very tragic murder that happened in the Montlake, Soddy, Signal area: (A wealthy land owner that I hope rots in prison...)
http://www.jcs-group.com/enigma/crimes/casteel.html

If you are closer to Ringgold/Dalton side of town, the state managed Houston Valley rec area is worth checking out.

Nice parking area and 22 miles of trails. $5 for an all day pass. Its 7 miles south of Ringgold, GA via hwy 151, Nickajack rd. Google it to print a map before you go.

I'm going out there today with a handful of blokes around 5:30. All rookies riders, half of which I don't even know.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
BUGRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Things shut down pretty quick when Moto Mark started snooping around. Thanks Moto!!!
BUGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote