Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #436
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
The Klim girl said that only the HiViz Badlands came in yesterday, not the HiViz Misano. They have one hanging on the wall in their display room.
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #437
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Badlands Chest armour

Stopped at Klim in Rigby, I am Idaho Falls every week, and looked at the Badlands suit. Laurie rode along, pickup truck, because she was interested in the Klim gear as well. We both ride in Revit for the most part. Any body have any thoughts on the front chest 3M armour in the Badlands? Has me intrigued. At 62 chest protection is becoming more important personally. Seems a bit thin and flexible compared to a pressure suit, but obviously a lot more comfortable. Must say the folks at Klim were most welcoming and were willing to get whatever we wanted to look at out out of warehouse inventory. It seems more women specific desighn clothing is coming as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #438
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Well actually you can't compare a pressure suit with this small piece of chest protection. The one in the Badlands is very confortable and is a nice touch and certainly an other good point for this already very good jacket.
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #439
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Comparisons

Wasn't actually trying to compare, the question is really is it a gimmick? Does it actually provide any real protection? Should of had Laurie put on a heavy glove and punch me in the chest.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #440
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,713
I can see it helping disperse the impact of getting a handlebar in the chest. I take mine out when riding on pavement, but put them in if I know I'm going to be riding on dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #441
25jack
WhateversComfortable

Oddometer: 23
Gore Tex Pro

Personally I think gore-tex is overrated
but the manufactures love it and it is difficult to avoid. The Misano uses a lower grade 2 layer variation of the material. The BLP uses the highest quality Gore-Tex Pro 3 layer version. When it is hot and humid anything will be uncomfortable. A little research and it seems the Pro GT is noticeably better at allowing body heat to escape. That plus the back armor in the BLP is level 2 vs level 1 in the ML and the BLP uses armorcore in the high arbrasion areas. The weights are almost the same 6.25 lb vs 6.05 for the slightly ligher ML in Large. Venting goes to the BLP

For $300 more my conclusion is you are getting a much more robust jacket in the BLP. They even make HighViz look good.

The other option is a pressure suit under the Traverse which is also GTP.

If you can afford it get both setups. Super hot wear the PS with a jersey.
25jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #442
AdrianB1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Coming back with feedback after several weeks of using the full Latitude suit, crashing with it and all: I love it. It is comfortable, it keeps me dry, I have enough space in the jacket to put a thermal layer or two and it is not too large when I wear it over a t-shirt.

The only things that I do not like are the length of the pants (I have the "34 tall" version) and the pocket flaps.

If you do not have long boots and you are above 6'1" - 6'2" then the pants are short, a couple of inches should be fine for me (6'3"). I wear Icon medium boots (Patrol Waterproof) and on cold weather I feel the cold breeze on my legs between the pants and the boots (and I wear another pair of pants under these). I also wear the Klim suspenders, these are also great (the regular, not premium ones).

The pocket flaps are a bit on the small side, if I fill in the pockets then I feel insecure as the pockets may open during the ride (it never happened). This one is really minor, I have not lost anything yet :)
AdrianB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #443
triman11427
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Latitude vs Badlands pants

I was hesitant to pull the trigger on a Badlands jacket but now that I have done a few hundred miles commuting with my jacket, I'm glad I did. Although in 88-95 deg here in NY it's like most non-mesh jackets. When moving it's fine but in traffic it's like any other jacket, hot! The key is what base layers are underneath. I use Under Armor and it makes a big difference in my comfort level.Now I'm looking into getting a pair of Klim pants. The question I have is whether the Badlands pants are significantly better than the Latitude pants. I haven't read a comparison by a real person who has tried both in the real world and it seems there are many forum members who have tried many different manufacturers. I look at all this gear as an additional insurance policy and you don't have to be a RTW rider to wear top shelf protection. That being said, if there is a product that is similar for less money I would consider it.
triman11427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #444
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
Lattitude is not bad...

I have a pretty full arsenal of Klim product and I look at clothing systems like i'm in the backcountry. Sometimes I need more protection than others, thats Why I have a Quiver.

Riding asphalt in the city is not my favorite thing to do but much of the time its better than being in a cage. IMO both those pants are great in the fall and winter. I would look to adding a Dakar pant to your summer quiver and check the fit of both the Lattitude and the Badlands. Really its a feel thing with those two. One provides more durability and the other comfort and breathability.

Badlands is 3 layer pro shell which I feel breathes better but only when the temperature differential is strong enough inside to outside to open the PTFE and breathe. That means you need to either sweat enough to open or the outside temp differential is low enough to produce moisture vapor transfer to the outside. I like a good base layer too but I prefer wool as it cools when hot and insulates when wet.

I like the Latitude because on long trips, shit goes wrong and If you are on the ground enough ( eating lunch under a tree or fixing a flat in a dry baja lakebed) the durability of these pants in awesome. It's a 2 layer fabric and the hand is not as nice as the Badlands but you save a few dollars and with that you can buy a Dakar over boot pant for summer riding in grey and you'll be stoked.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #445
triman11427
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by skianreid View Post
I have a pretty full arsenal of Klim product and I look at clothing systems like i'm in the backcountry. Sometimes I need more protection than others, thats Why I have a Quiver.

Riding asphalt in the city is not my favorite thing to do but much of the time its better than being in a cage. IMO both those pants are great in the fall and winter. I would look to adding a Dakar pant to your summer quiver and check the fit of both the Lattitude and the Badlands. Really its a feel thing with those two. One provides more durability and the other comfort and breathability.

Badlands is 3 layer pro shell which I feel breathes better but only when the temperature differential is strong enough inside to outside to open the PTFE and breathe. That means you need to either sweat enough to open or the outside temp differential is low enough to produce moisture vapor transfer to the outside. I like a good base layer too but I prefer wool as it cools when hot and insulates when wet.

I like the Latitude because on long trips, shit goes wrong and If you are on the ground enough ( eating lunch under a tree or fixing a flat in a dry baja lakebed) the durability of these pants in awesome. It's a 2 layer fabric and the hand is not as nice as the Badlands but you save a few dollars and with that you can buy a Dakar over boot pant for summer riding in grey and you'll be stoked.
Thanks for your feedback. I don't believe the Dakar is waterproof and that is a major reason I use Klim products. I've read the Latitude is a bit stiffer. Although I commute with my S10 I also tour and do some off road when the opportunity presents itself.
Although there really isn't 4 season gear, I'm trying to minimize my riding gear as much as possible. Starting a Klim collection isn't the goal. I'm looking for a single jacket and pants to use throughout the year and in different environments.

triman11427 screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 09:33 PM
triman11427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #446
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by skianreid View Post

I like the Latitude because on long trips, shit goes wrong and If you are on the ground enough ( eating lunch under a tree or fixing a flat in a dry baja lakebed) the durability of these pants in awesome..
Good point!
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #447
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
question about the misano pants: what areas are 840D and what areas are misano? I'm wondering if Klim considers the seat area a high abrasion zone or if they put misano there.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #448
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham View Post
question about the misano pants: what areas are 840D and what areas are misano? I'm wondering if Klim considers the seat area a high abrasion zone or if they put misano there.
seat is the same material as the knees.
bhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #449
cottonwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
miserable weather - I was dry as a bone. Can't recommend these enough.
cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #450
macbethandbanquo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham View Post

I have the original 840 jacket and prefer its heavier weight, even in South Louisiana, for its abrasion resistant properties.

I don't have the pants yet but WILL be ordering the original 840 pants to match. I'm not sure the new Misano will be up to the task.

Sure, it's in "high impact" areas.....but, that's statistically so. YOU may not be the average.

I"ve been patrolling in police units for over 15 years and have seen and dealt with many motorcycle accidents. the "high impact" areas that are covered on the Misano with 840 are NOT an indication of what's going to happen in YOUR case! I've seen lots of material ripped in areas you would not have thought possible.

I know the pants would be a little uncomfortable, being stiffer.....sort of like the bullet proof vest we wore......but the consequences of not having it were pretty catastrophic.

Gear is always a compromise: in my opinion, I'll go with the protection. I've helped transport too many injured riders because of gear that was not up to the task......and I for one, I'm sure a minority, feel the Misano is not up to the rigors of sliding on asphalt.
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote