User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
sonoran OP
bruh

Oddometer: 21,988
Powdercoating question

I have a set of panniers currently powdercoated grey and would like to get them recoated in black. Is it possible (or advisable) to have these recoated in another color?
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
It is not a big deal just money. They will have to be stripped then recoated some powder coating companies will do that for you, if not they will let you know what condition they need the metal to be in. I had a 4x4 bumper repowdercoated took it to a sandblasting outfit then dropped it off at the coaters two days and $300.00 later I had a like new bumper.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
sonoran OP
bruh

Thanks. I wasn't sure if they needed to be stripped or not. I'll call around.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
qkenf4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
they dont "HAVE" to be stripped.. they can blast the old powder to give it a rough texture and just shot the black over top ... (ex powdercoater myself))
qkenf4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
goosecreek
a desk prop

My powdercoating guy would not offer any warranty if the old powdercoating was left on . Thanks for the information if I have anything in good shape I will just have him coat over top of it. My bumper had chips and stuff in it.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
I've had best luck through shops that do trailers and frames. With standard colors they shoot it and bake it with someone's truck frame.

My brother did 4 truck wheels, two bumpers for 250$ and my father used the same guy for 6 antique truck wheels and a few bits 300 bones.

They did the media blasting.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
goosecreek
a desk prop

I was happy with my bumper till now glad the truck was sold so I do not have to see my over priced bumper.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
My powdercoating guy would not offer any warranty if the old powdercoating was left on .
Exactly, give it to your coater and have them strip and shoot.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
sporthog93
Sporthog93

Oddometer: 760
The kit from Eastwood isn't very expensive and I have had good results. I bought an old electric stove for $25 and have done several pieces. I kind of like doing it so I'm in the process of building an oven big enough to do a frame. Just saying if you have other things you might consider doing it yourself.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
blackfly911
Meat Popsicle

Oddometer: 167
If the panniers are aluminum, make sure you get a company that knows how to do them properly, prep on aluminum is everything. Powder-coating isn't overly flexible and will crack if it's not applied properly. I have a set of Holan Pro's that were powder coated inside and out. After a few good bumps, it started to crack off in BIG patches.

I stripped the stuff off with a razor blade and Permaetx gasket remover (which worked well but is toxic). Once clean I used self etching primer (required for a durable base with aluminum) and sprayed them with enamel paint with the exception of the backs which were done with bed liner.

Anyhow, just food for thought, if they're not aluminum you may not have any issues at all with PC.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
sonoran OP
bruh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporthog93 View Post
The kit from Eastwood isn't very expensive and I have had good results. I bought an old electric stove for $25 and have done several pieces. I kind of like doing it so I'm in the process of building an oven big enough to do a frame. Just saying if you have other things you might consider doing it yourself.
I can just imagine my wife walking into the kitchen... hey what's cookin' hun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly911 View Post
If the panniers are aluminum, make sure you get a company that knows how to do them properly, prep on aluminum is everything. Powder-coating isn't overly flexible and will crack if it's not applied properly. I have a set of Holan Pro's that were powder coated inside and out. After a few good bumps, it started to crack off in BIG patches.

I stripped the stuff off with a razor blade and Permaetx gasket remover (which worked well but is toxic). Once clean I used self etching primer (required for a durable base with aluminum) and sprayed them with enamel paint with the exception of the backs which were done with bed liner.

Anyhow, just food for thought, if they're not aluminum you may not have any issues at all with PC.
Good to know thanks.

I think I've found a good company close to me.. does a lot of custom automotive work.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
qkenf4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly911 View Post
If the panniers are aluminum, make sure you get a company that knows how to do them properly, prep on aluminum is everything. Powder-coating isn't overly flexible and will crack if it's not applied properly. I have a set of Holan Pro's that were powder coated inside and out. After a few good bumps, it started to crack off in BIG patches. .
hmm then your guy didnt do them RIGHT.... PC is actually very flexible (its only 3-4 thou thick) we put it on COIL SPRINGS (12"+ travel sand rails etc) all the time and it doesnt crack/fall off.....

alum bags wont flex enough to actually make the PC crack .. and if you where able to strip it off in big chunks/sheets then it def. wasnt done right...
qkenf4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
If powder ws coming like you describe, it sounds like a prep problem. Either not properly cleaned, or possibly cleaner/ phosphate left on.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote