Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
caliform OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Ride North Two photographers ride from San Francisco to Alaska! (KLR650 & GT1000)

Heyo ADVriders! I've been a long-time lurker, living vicariously through your RRs in the shadows of the boards. In the last few months, I have been specifically feeding on your beautiful recollections of Alaska, in the regional board and right here... it seems like it's truly the season!

Swissican's was definitely one of my favorites - so great. And then there was another one dear to my heart, a Duc rider herself, AKGeekGrrl! Ah, so many great stories...

Time to make our own. We call it Ride North!

Me and my friend Stuart are riding from San Francisco to Alaska. We're leaving in two weeks - June 20th by the latest. We're good buddies and photographers with a passion for travel and hiking and riding to Alaska was Stu's idea initially and Seb enthusiastically decided to tag along!

The bikes:

Stu's got a Kawasaki KLR650 - an ADVRider staple! And has done most of the mandatory work on it, from doohickey fixin' to homegrown hard luggage, this guy's got it all going on. I'll let him add more info about his bike if he feels like it, the bastard's lounging off in Spain now!

I'm Seb, and I am riding a Ducati GT1000, in a true effort to break the Starbucks stereotype and take what might be the first SportClassic on an Alaskan adventure, I've upgraded and kitted out my Duc for the ride North...

Comfort seat, performance package, Hepco-becker luggage rack w/ KTM Gobi panniers, Ventura rack setup (thanks to a Ducati.ms member!), little thingie for throttle lock, RAM mount, added a quick hookup for battery tender and a 12V socket for phone, leather tank bag, frame sliders and of course some more suitable tires.

The plan:

We're very flexible on our plan, estimating about 60-70 days for the whole trip. We will try to camp as much as we can - we're just young dudes on a budget, after all... Initially we plan to stick to the Pacific Coast Highway and then hit up the Redwood National Park, then moving on to Klamath Falls and Crater Lake, to Bend, to Mt. Hood / Hood River and meet up with friends in Oregon. From there on we have 'stops' and sites we want to stop at and see, but we'll be very flexible. This is an adventure, and we'll take our dang time for it!

Bonus: Photo gear:

We're packing 2 SLRs, a full-frame mirrorless digtal rangefinder camera, a Manfrotto tripod, Gorillapod, a Manfrotto super-clamp and Magic Arm, two GoPros and more. Pretty serious stuff! Makes for cool hanging-cameras-off-bikes shots and videos:

Either way, we'll update here with our last preparations before we leave around June 20th! Next update: full load adjustments to the bikes to get the suspension right and show off our fully kitted out babies!

Oh! We have a little Kickstarter to make a fantastic photo book out of all this that we'd love for you to check out! Just a few days left...
caliform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
threetwoseven
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Looking forward to this.
threetwoseven is offline   Reply With Quote