Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #136
tgxbug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo421 View Post
I'm about to reach new heights of pretentiousness by quoting myself, but the common theme is so striking I can't resist:

That was in reply to a thread about a group of guys riding across the country and back on "inappropriate" machines. I feel the same way about this adventure, but I'd make one significant edit: I'd remove the phrase "spectacular failure." Truth be told, I think the only way you could have failed was to dream this adventure and NOT do it. Failure went out the window as soon as you put the first mile under your tires!

total agreement with last sentence
your trip is inspirational, in every way...
now if only my friend can c beyond the type of bike and look into d mirror, forget about his 'upgrade' to a GSA and just ride

tgxbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #137
rideforsmiles
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,849
Hey guys I saw you in Swakopmund the other day, im on a leisurely ride from Australia through Africa at the moment myself. I spent last weekend at the Fish Eagle motorcycle rally at Wavisbaai and when I saw you we were doing the ride together through Swakopmund. Later that night I talked to one of the original Walvisbaai mcc guys Ion and he said he talked to you in the servo and I got your website off him. I was going to stop and say hi but saw you had a few other bikers around so thought stuff ya lol
Maybe ill fly past you sometime again. Hope you have a great time, Take care, Sheldon
www.rideforsmiles.com

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 01:05 PM
rideforsmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #138
ficoszac
y...ahora???

Oddometer: 143
Thumb

ameizing!!!! awesome!!! keep going and send more pics, cheers from mexico, you are an ameizing couple!!!!!!!!
ficoszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #139
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
10/2 Heading North, Take Two

After yesterday's misadventures, we were both anxious to get on the road, the paved one this time. After a great night of sleep under a fluffy duvet, we ate our included breakfast, and I heartily enjoyed my bacon, eggs, and toast. This was the first bacon I've had since Ohio, and I remember why I like it so much. After lowering the tire pressures for the gravel section yesterday, I aired them back up to road pressure to the entertainment of several other hotel guests. As I previously mentioned, this hotel was much nicer than our usual accommodations, and I don't think the other guests were expecting to see our kind there. We hoped that it was a good sign that it was sunny and clear this morning, as this was the first sun we'd seen in Swakopmund, so we left. The ride started out cool, but as we headed inland, it warmed up nicely and the sun stayed with us all day. The other factor that made the day's ride so enjoyable was the absence of our nemesis: the Namibian headwind. We were able to cruise at 45mph at three quarters throttle and covered the miles quickly.

Last night, Re and I carefully looked at the maps and possible routes eastward, with the new understanding that we will be confined to sealed roads. We discussed the northern and southern routes to Botswana, and eventually to Victoria Falls. The southern route would take us through the northern edge of the Kalahari and Ghanzi before heading to Maun and up to Victoria Falls. The northern route would take us through Grootfontein, up to Rundu, through the East Caprivi, and into Botswana at Chobe National Park. We decided on the northern route on the advice of several other travelers and Namibians. They stated that northern Namibia is the true Namibia. So north it was. Our new route took us back up the B2 to Karibib, then north on the C33 through Omaruru, and then to Otjiwarongo for the night.

Around lunchtime we stopped for fuel (again) and picked up yet another lunch of pies to picnic on at a nearby rest area. After our lunch of pies and carrots, we continued north. Along the ride today, we saw warthogs, the biggest baboons we've seen so far, giraffes, and some sort of curly-horned antelope. We rolled into Otjiwarongo around 5pm and soon found a very nice campground. While I set up the tent, Re headed into town and soon returned with the makings of dinner. She cooked new potatoes with onions and boerwors (the local sausages). After we finished dinner and washed up, a couple of the local cats showed up for dinner, but they were too late. We told them to come back in the morning, and maybe there would be some leftover eggs for them. The other odd featured of the campground was the flock of 50- 100 helmeted guinea fowl that pointlessly ran back and forth all evening. I wondered aloud how they would be on the braai. I also took the opportunity to figure out our likely route to Dar es Salaam. We've been in Africa for two weeks now and need to figure out how and when we are getting to India. Zimbabwe looks most likely, not for Zimbabwe sake, but mostly because other travelers have warned us away from Zambia mostly due to the border corruption issues, road conditions, and relative expense. Ciphering done, we headed for bed.

259 miles in about 8 hours. The bikes purred along today.

Underboning screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 07:12 AM
Underboning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #140
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

10/3 North to Tsumeb

It got cold overnight. Re and I both woke up in need of a warm shower. Since we only had a short ride today, we were in no particular hurry, so we made a relatively easy morning of it. Re had picked up eggs for breakfast today, so she scrambled them, and as if on cue, the local cats from last evening made an appearance. We had a fun time feeding them and a good laugh when one helped himself to what was left of our butter. Everything on the bikes was in spec except for the header bolts, which all needed slight tightening. Oil level is okay, but it needs to be changed. The ride to Tsumeb only took about 3 hours but we did fight a headwind the entire way. Today's short ride was dictated by tomorrow's long run to Rundu, and Tsumeb was chosen because, according to Loser's Planet, our guesthouse for the evening had internet. Along the way, we saw a couple of different kinds of antelope (we really need to look these up sometime), another hornbill, and wildebeest.

We arrived in Tsumeb around 1:30pm, and it was a bust. Disappointingly, but unsurprisingly, the guesthouse had no internet. On the plus side, the rate to camp was lower than listed in the book. We decided to take the afternoon off and catch up on RRs and blog posts that we will upload at the local internet cafe when they open in the morning. Lunch and dinner were self-catered again from the local grocery store. We took the opportunity to get some laundry done. We also spoke with other travelers who were staying at this guesthouse and heard of a place to stay in Chobe. At least the local Spar had plenty of cold and cheap Black Labels.

131 miles in 3 hours. The rear tires are getting thin, will need to be replaced soon.

Underboning screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 07:14 AM
Old 10-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #141
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficoszac View Post
ameizing!!!! awesome!!! keep going and send more pics, cheers from mexico, you are an ameizing couple!!!!!!!!
We have all of our photos (that we have been able to upload so far) at colinandre.smugmug.com, glad you are enjoying them.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #142
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

10/4 The Run to Rundu

Up early this morning since I wanted to change the oil in the bikes before we hit the road. Unfortunately the wind was blowing very hard, and the sand and dust storm made the oil change no fun. As an added bonus, I trapped my finger between the wrench and the oil sump, giving myself a humongous blood blister at the tip of my left thumb, which promptly split and bled all over the place. Maintenance done, we hit the road toward Grootfontein, and of course, fought a head wind the entire way. We stopped for lunch and fuel in Grootfontein, where we loaded up our jerrycans for the further 160 mile run to Rundu. From now on, fuel stations will be even farther apart.

The ride to Rundu was what we imagined Africa to be. We didn't see another white face until we reached Rundu. All along the road were traditional dwellings and people going about their daily business. Both Re and I could barely lift our left arms by the end of the ride- they were worn out from waving so much! The little kids, especially, seemed to be excited to see us, running toward the road and waving, ofter with both hands as we rode past. Everywhere we stopped to refuel, we drew a small crowd. The only wildlife today were hundreds of cows and goats (mostly in the road).

We finally rolled into Rundu at around 5:30. We cruised through town to find accommodations, and not seeing anything, reluctantly consulted the Lonely Planet. One recommended place was near the town center, so we headed in that direction. We turned left onto a road made entirely of 3 deep sand, and the recommended guesthouse was another 2.5km down the sand road. Fortunately, 275 meters down the sand road was another guesthouse with camping. Re and I quickly decided to try here and found that in addition to camping, they had a fan bungalow for a reasonable price. Since tomorrow's ride to Katima Mulilo will be over 300 miles, our longest ride in Africa so far, we opted for the bungalow to save the time of striking camp in the morning.

After paying for our room we walked back to the bikes, and it was then that I noticed Re's flat rear tire. Yay. As our bungalow was only about 100 yards from reception, we decided to ride to the bungalow slowly and fix the flat there. As I got back on my bike, I thought I smelled burnt oil, looked down, and discovered that in my haste this morning I failed to screw in my oil dipstick all the way. After reaching the bungalow I added oil to my bike and found that it had only lost approximately 150cc's. Hopefully no damage has occurred. Note to self: double check everything. Before Re headed out for food on my bike, she helped me remove the rear wheel from her bike. I am once again glad the Symbas have center stands. We both inspected the tire for a puncture, and neither of us could find one. After she left, I partially dismounted the tire to get to the tube and immediately found the problem. Before I removed the tire, I noticed that the balance mark on the tire was no longer lined up with the valve stem, which seemed odd, because it was aligned when I installed it. Apparently the 7hp of the apocalypse was enough to spin the rear tire on the rim and put a wrinkle in the tube. I never thought I would have needed rim locks on a Symba. I got the patch kit out, glued on a patch, waited a few minutes, and put the wheel back together. I pumped the tire up to 33psi and left it sit overnight to see if the patch held. We are carrying two spare tubes if needed, but I want to save them until they're really needed. As I picked up the tools, Re returned with dinner. So what are we having for dinner tonight, Rebekah? How about, more pies. The local grocery store had few options that could be prepared easily. At least we are eating a lot of fruit to balance out the pies (I like pies. The USA needs more pies). The best part of dinner was watching the sun set over the Kavango River and looking into Angola while we ate on the porch of our bungalow. We both enjoyed a shower before bed to remove the thick layer of dust that covered us.

210 miles in about 7 hours. Remember to tighten anything you loosen, and we had our first flat tire of the trip.

Underboning screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 07:18 AM
Old 10-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #143
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
Hey guys I saw you in Swakopmund the other day, im on a leisurely ride from Australia through Africa at the moment myself. I spent last weekend at the Fish Eagle motorcycle rally at Wavisbaai and when I saw you we were doing the ride together through Swakopmund. Later that night I talked to one of the original Walvisbaai mcc guys Ion and he said he talked to you in the servo and I got your website off him. I was going to stop and say hi but saw you had a few other bikers around so thought stuff ya lol
Maybe ill fly past you sometime again. Hope you have a great time, Take care, Sheldon
www.rideforsmiles.com
Ooh, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. Somehow just about every time we stop for fuel we draw a small crowd, it takes us a long time to get fuel wherever we go. Ion seemed like a fun guy but we (stupidly, it turns out) declined his offer to come to the rally with them. We were also trying to talk to 1NiteOwl at the same time, so it was a little chaotic. We are in Victoria Falls now, heading for Mozambique (probably), so maybe our paths will cross again.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #144
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
glad to hear Re made it through ok. that first hard off is the hardest one to get over. but she sounds like a tough chick!
She is a tough one, for sure. A week later and she has full mobility back in her shoulder and no pains of any kind. She does have a very large bruise running from her elbow to nearly her wrist, sexy!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #145
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

10/5 East to Katima Mullilo

Our plan for the day was to ride east to Katima Mulilo, our final stop before the border with Botswana. If we made it all the way there today, it would be our longest ride yet in Africa at over 300 miles. As the middle of the ride transited the Bwabwata National Park, there would be a potential for no fuel for nearly 200 of those miles. One way or another it was going to be a long day, so we got up at 6 am. First order of the day was to check the status of my repair job on Re's rear tire. I was very happy to find that the tire held 32 psi overnight, so Re and I quickly reinstalled the rear wheel and then checked the other tires and lubed both chains. Maintenance done, we had a quick breakfast on the front porch of our bungalow and enjoyed the sunrise over the Zambezi River. After showers and once again, loading up the bikes, we were on the road by 7:30.

We stopped for fuel but didn't completely fill our jerrycans as there was another fuel stop about 125 miles down the road in Divundu. Our constant companion, the Namibian Headwind made another appearance this morning and fought us until lunchtime. We made it to Divundu around 11:30 am and stopped for fuel and lunch. We filled up our tanks, 9 liters in Re's jerrycan, and 5 in mine, which would hopefully get us to Katima Mulilo. The OpenStreetMap GPS maps I downloaded indicated that there was “Fuel (not all the time)” in Kongola, approximately 120 miles east of Divundu, but we didn't want to rely on the chance that they would have fuel. We were heavy. Our lunch choices were limited because Divundu seems to consist of a gas station, small grocery store, bottle shop, and bar. We had leftover droewors and “chilly bites” (dried sausages and spicy meat), half a loaf of bread, and oranges, which we supplemented with sodas and ate straddling our bikes in the shade of the grocery store. While we ate, I noticed that I was able to understand some of the signage in the store window and realized it appeared to be in Spanish. I commented on this, and Re said it must be Portuguese since we were right across the river from Angola, and Portuguese is the official language of Angola.

Leaving Divundu, we passed through an agricultural checkpoint staffed by Namibian police force members. Apparently, hoof and mouth disease is a major problem in this region of Africa, and the checkpoint was to help prevent the spread of the disease further into Namibia. While we waited for the arm to be lifted for us to pass, we once again answered many questions about our bikes and the journey. After 5 minutes or so of questions, the sole female officer (who was clearly not impressed) left her booth, walked over to the arm, and lifted it and waved for us to pass, thus ending our conversation and allowing us to ride on. Shortly after entering the park, our eyes lit up when we saw the warning signs that told us to look our for... elephants. We spent the next several hours scanning the roadside for large, gray objects, but to no avail. We did, however, see several different types of antelope and some warthogs. The next several hours passed relatively quickly, the lack of headwind and search for pachyderms made the time fly. We had seen plenty of elephant poop on the roadside, but we began to suspect the signs were a ploy to lure tourists to the area and that the elephant poop was planted by unethical tourism officials. But our patience was rewarded just before we left the park. In my rear view mirror, I saw Rebekah slam on the brakes and turned around to see why. It was then that she pointed out several groups of elephants gathered around the pools in a marshy area next to the road. We stopped, got out the binoculars and camera, and spent about 20 minutes watching elephants do what elephants do. Very cool.

At about 4:30, we exited the park and found ourselves in Kongola, another very small village, but lo and behold, there was... a gas station with a big chalk check mark next to the word "Petrol" on the sign out front. We had recently refueled the bikes, emptying Re's jerrycan and using 3 of the 5 liters in mine. We had enough fuel in our tanks to make it to Katima Mulilo but have learned enough to never pass up the opportunity to get fuel. We swung into the station, confirmed that they had unleaded, and got 6 liters in Re's jerrycan. I had to laugh when another attendant came rushing out of the station to see our bikes, and I noticed that he was wearing and obviously counterfeit Orange Crappy Choppers ballcap, those buffoons are everywhere! He appeared excited but a little disappointed to see that we were only riding little bikes. The sun was beginning to set, and we raced it into Katima Mulilo, wanting to honor our pledge to never ride after dark in Africa.

As we entered Katima, we encountered a veritable flood of people walking toward us. The workday must end at 6 pm, and everyone seemed to be leaving the “downtown.” I smiled as I saw everyone laughing and chatting with each other as they walked, rush hour in the East Caprivi seems much more civilized than in Ft Collins. We made it to downtown Katima at about 6:15 and the sun dipped below the horizon. Lonely Planet came through for us this time, directing us to camp at the Protea Hotel grounds, which is a very swanky hotel with camping on the side for “our kind.” By the time we registered and made our way to the campground it was well after 6:30, so we yanked the camping gear off Re's bike and she headed out in search of the local grocery store for some dinner. We hadn't seen any food stores on the way into town, and here in Africa, most of them seem to close at 7 pm, so the race was on. Fortunately for me, Re was smart enough to stop and ask a guard at the gate where to find the grocery store. He smiled and said, “I will take you there.” He said it was too difficult to explain, and she should just follow him. Since it was nearly 7 and the big stores would be closed, he took her to a small local store with a very limited selection of food options. He apologized but said it was the only thing open at this hour. Re returned with a small bag of potatoes, milk, and (wait for it)... more pies. While I continued to set up camp, she made mashed potatoes and reheated the pies, and we had a reasonable dinner looking out at the moonlight on the Zambezi while the grunting hippos serenaded us. Tummies full and butts barking, we climbed into the tent and fell asleep to the sounds of hippos. Tomorrow - Botswana

350 miles in almost 11 hours. Re's rear tire patch is holding air.

Underboning screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 07:23 AM
Old 10-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #146
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

10/6 To Botswana- Country #5

Since our ride to Kasane, Botswana would only be around 100 miles today, we were in no hurry to get up this morning and instead, spent some quality snuggling time. Again, the night was cool, but actually a little clammy. The climate is changing, as this is the first humidity we've experienced since South Africa. Crawling out of the tent into the sunlight, we looked down the riverbank and could see crocodiles basking on the river's edge. Not wanting to try and find our way back to the grocery store, we had a breakfast of dry mueslix, fruit, and cowboy coffee. I took a quick look at the bikes while Re started on the tent. All of the vitals were good on the bikes, but the rear tires are getting very thin. I am trying to milk them as long as we can. It would be best if these rear tires last long enough that our other Michelin Gazelles could get us to India. I really don't want to have to put our locally sourced, plasticky front tires on the rear of our bikes.

The ride to the border was brief, only taking about an hour. The border crossing itself was very easy and very professional, especially on the Botswana side. The total cost for both bikes was about 31USD; that amount included road tax and 90 days of mandatory liability insurance.

Before we reached the border post on the Botswana side, we had to stop for a hoof and mouth disease control station. We both had to get off our bikes and do a little dance on a wet towel in a basin before riding our bikes through a 9” deep pool of dirty water. Maybe it will help prevent the spread of hoof and mouth disease, or maybe the guards just videotape it to laugh at later. Either way, it was our second water splash in Africa. Once the final paper was stamped, fee was paid, and gate was lifted, we rode into Botswana- our fifth country so far.

We found ourselves on the A33 that is the transit road through Chobe National Park. As usual, motorcycles are not allowed in national parks in Botswana,(something about lions or leopards), but we were allowed to ride through on the public road.

We had planned on taking an organized safari tomorrow, but this ride turned into a safari all its own. In the next two hours, we saw numerous elephants, including one group of at least twenty within 50 feet of the road's edge.

We also saw zebras, baboons, giraffes, warthogs, several types of antelope, and at least ten different species of birds in all colors of the rainbow. Since we didn't refuel the bikes before entering Chobe, we both found our fuel lights blinking at us before we exited the park. I was a little nervous about stopping to refuel because we would have to shut off the engines and consequently, wouldn't be able to run away. We were climbing a hill about 5 miles before the park exit when Re's bike coughed, and mine would no longer accelerate. We were out of gas. We jumped off the bikes, grabbed the jerrycan, and quickly put some fuel in each bike, all the time looking over our shoulders for predators. I told Re she was absolutely not allowed to be calling, “here, kitty kitty,” and yet, she still did.

We made our way into Kasane and headed for the campground that another traveler had recommended to us. My moment of ignominy came as we pulled into the campground. We just cleared the security gate when I became confused about where we needed to turn, grabbed the front brake, not realizing that the driveway was made up of 3” of fine sand. Once again, the laws of physics took over. The front wheel snapped right, I tried in vain to save it, and found myself face down in the sand. With the help of the rather startled looking guard, we picked up my bike and thankfully found no damage. I'm beginning to notice a pattern: Rebekah goes down, then I go down. She's really going to have to stop crashing. This campground was mostly frequented by the big safari trucks which would take up a whole group site each, but we were able to find a corner of one of the group sites for the night. Since it was before 2pm when we arrived, we decided to take the afternoon off and catch up on some personal maintenance. Re gave me a quick haircut, and we both showered before heading back into town for food and a trip to the ATM. Where we used to live in eastern Oregon, we had mule deer that would walk through town, but here in Kasane, they have warthogs. Riding down the main street, I came within about 6” of slapping a warthog on the ass as he lazily wandered in traffic. Later that afternoon we booked our early morning game drive and afternoon river cruise. We spent the rest of the evening doing laundry, relaxing in the pool, and cooking dinner.

90 miles in about 4 hours, with an international border crossing and lots of stopping for animals. Bikes are running fine, with the exception of a quick nap.

Underboning screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 07:28 AM
Old 10-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #147
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 494
I'm really enjoying following you guys. It's like reading an adventure novel. I look forward to each new post. Sounds like the bikes are holding up well dispute the few minor problems you have had - how many miles do you have on them now?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #148
rich223vt
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great R/R, guys! Like a good book you are hard to put down.
Sorry 'bout those rude bikers in SA. I guess they're everywhere.
Safe travels.
Rubber down.
Rw
Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #149
Ivyleague
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Well ridden

Great writing style and amazingly bold - Thanks for taking the time to share...........
Ivyleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #150
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNbiker View Post
I'm really enjoying following you guys. It's like reading an adventure novel. I look forward to each new post. Sounds like the bikes are holding up well dispute the few minor problems you have had - how many miles do you have on them now?
we have about 8900 miles on them now. We started with about 500 on each, so we've done about 8400 miles this trip. I anticipate about another 3000 (hopefully trouble-free) miles to get to Mombasa, Kenya where we plan to put the bikes on a boat for India. The question we get asked most often here in Africa is why didn't we do this on big bikes and my reply is that if we brought big bikes we'd be pretty much guaranteed to make it - on these it's an adventure!