User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #811
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
4/18 Sick Day

When the alarm went off, Re said she'd hardly slept because her body ached so much. Still, she insisted on going out to the 7Eleven to pick up breakfast. When she came back, she looked pale and collapsed on the bed. Apparently, she had passed out on the counter at the 7Eleven. She told me she remembered going to the counter, paying, and the next thing she knew, someone was rubbing her shoulder and she was face down on the counter. She said she felt warm, sweaty, clammy, and faint. I suspected she was running a fever, but she declined my offer to get the thermometer off the bike. Instead, she went back to bed and stayed there most of the day. I spent some time reading and then went down to the grocery store to pick up some lunch.

After lunch in the room, I walked out and found a motorcycle shop, where I bought some much needed oil. We spent the rest of the day reading and hanging out in the room. Later in the afternoon, I grabbed the thermometer off the bike, and we found out that Re did have a fever of about 102. We went through the symptom checker on WebMD, and it said the most likely causes of her trouble were either the flu (which we ruled out due to the lack of coughing, and congestion) or a viral infection, which appears to be a catch-all diagnosis. Fifth on the list was dengue fever, which we ruled out due to lack of rash and lack of sudden, high fever. While Re was feeling pretty bad, she hadn't really lost her appetite, so I walked out and picked up some fried chicken for dinner. We spent the rest of the night in the room. Hopefully Re feels better tomorrow, because she sure seems miserable today.
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:47 AM   #812
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

4/19 Banana Beach Bust

When we woke up this morning, Re seemed to be doing much better, or at least she said she was. I stuck the thermometer in her mouth, and it only read about one degree high. While she took it easy, I walked out in search of breakfast from a roti restaurant that I had read about. I don't think I found the one I was looking for, but I did spy a griddle full of roti at a restaurant full of locals. If it's good enough for Granddad... I ordered roti, coffee, and chicken curry for takeaway. Back in the room, we enjoyed our breakfast in bed. After taking a shower, Re said she felt good and wanted to go to the beach today.

We read about Banana Beach online, and it was supposed to be one of Phuket's hidden gems. I was able to find its location by comparing a map to the map in my GPS and marking the spot. We pulled on our jackets and helmets and hit the road. Phuket Town is on the east side of the island, and Banana Beach is on the west, so we had to navigate quite a bit of erratic traffic to make it there, but we eventually found ourselves at the tiny pull off, barely wide enough for our motorbikes. We scooted the Symbas as far off the road as possible, locked our helmets and jackets to the bikes, and climbed down the steep path to the beach. It was a beautiful, secluded beach, with only one problem: the trash. None of the pictures of the beach that we saw online showed the rafts of trash, bobbing in the surf and covering the beach. Maybe it was a change in current or the unfortunate result of somebody dumping trash nearby, but most of the beach was covered with garbage, and worse, the water in the bay was littered with trash. We walked up and down the beach trying to find a clear spot, but no luck. Since it was still early, we decided to head back up to the bikes and head south to one of the beaches we had marked in the GPS on our ride two days ago. I didn't want to go too far today since the area is very hilly, and my clutch is still not enjoying the ride.

We did make our way south, but about halfway there, Re signaled to pull over. She was not looking or feeling well, and regretfully, wanted to head back to the room. So we did. Again, the sky was a mixture of black and blue, and we almost made it back to the hotel before the skies opened. We rode the last mile or so in the pouring rain and then pulled the bikes into the gated area. Re was feeling okay enough to head out for lunch, so we walked down to the market area for soup with pork and wontons. We looked for some fruit, but none of it struck our fancy, so instead, we headed back to the room. When we checked Re's temperature again, it was only up about two degrees, but she was feeling very achy and uncomfortable. The aches have been keeping her awake at night, so she took a couple of paracetamol and napped the rest of the afternoon. She felt up to going out for dinner, so we walked to our favorite place up the street, where we shared a large order of the fired grums with crispy pork, and a large bowl of tom yum soup with prawns.

42 miles in two plus hours. I hope tomorrow's oil change does the trick.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #813
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Re must be thinking "Phuket, I don't want to be ill in Poo-get"

Hope that she is mended now!
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #814
DelHess
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post

I thought maybe phuket sounded like another expression :

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
DelHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #815
KYSYM
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post
Whoops, sorry for the delay in replying! Our pump is the Lezyne HP Micro Floor Drive Mini Pump. We chose it for light weight and compact size. It has performed flawlessly, it has been our sole source of air on this trip, including tire changes. It takes approximately 9 pumps for one psi of inflation, so tire changes require 270+ strokes. We are also riding in the Darien Light jackets (Model #260). They have been great, too. The venting is as good as can be expected while still being waterproof. The Goretex was a good choice for us since we didn't want to carry rain gear as well. The are waterproof for a good long time, but getting the jacket and pants positioned right is important. Now when it rains we stop to make sure that the pants are pulled up and the jackets are pulled down. If not, water can get in through the zipper on the pants. As for straps for the gas cans, we are using a combination of bungee cords and a flat, buckling strap that we bought at REI.

The only weak link in the system is that Ikea cutting boards don't crash well. The front bit that overhangs the front rack snapped off of both of ours in India, but they still work.

Glad you are enjoying the report and your Symba, sorry it took so long for a response.
Thanks so much for the info. Time to go shopping!
KYSYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #816
usafe7ret
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
"Too many old, fat, European guys in too small Speedos spread out on lounge chairs next to their “Oh my god, Grandma, put your top on,” wives. Somehow, they've all gotten enough sun to turn their skin into something resembling the leather on a well broken in baseball glove (honestly, the topless women look like they have two Coach leather duffel bags laying on their stomachs). Not a pretty sight."

Thank you for not posting a picture of that!!!

Your pics on this report are amazing, but something like that would be just, well

Hope Re is feeling better soon. You guys rock!
usafe7ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #817
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I spent a few hours on Sunday trying to figure out if either the Bonus or the Joyride had the same engine, but couldn't ever figure it out. Instead I sent a message to Cam Purvis at Scooterseals.com in Taiwan for help. Cam is active over on SYMforum.com has been helping American SYM owners get parts and accessories direct from the source. Cam was able to get me a clutch and gasket and get it in the mail by lunchtime on Monday. The online tracking shows that it made it to Kuala Lumpur tonight and hopefully I'll have it soon! Big thanks to Cam for coming through in a hurry. He couldn't, however, get me a chain adjuster bolt on such short notice (apparently not too many people are dumb enough to need a replacement... ), so I will be getting one of those locally.
Just a quick update, my replacement clutch just arrived this afternoon!!! Big thanks to Cam at Scooterseals.com for getting it to us so quickly. A good and resourceful parts connection is the other key to a trip like this. Don't leave home without one! Oh, and as an added bonus, SYM doesn't apparently sell (or like to sell) individual components - what I have received was a complete clutch not just the plates.

That should make installation a lot easier, especially since I don't have the special "Clutch anti-loosen nut socket wrench" to remove the "anti-loosen nut" in the clutch assembly. Cam was also smart enough to remember the side cover gasket that I didn't think about and included one in the package, as well. All I need now is a break in the rain and I should be back on the road.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #818
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post

She's back at 100%!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #819
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

4/20 Oil Change and Sick Day

Re's achiness has gotten much worse. She said she barely slept last night from the pain. She got up in the night to take more paracetamol, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. She still has a low grade fever, but no other real symptoms other than itchy elbows (?). After another 7Eleven breakfast, it was time to finally change the oil in our bikes. Re said she was feeling well enough to help, so we went downstairs and got to work. We changed the oil in both bikes and installed the new sparkplugs we bought in Georgetown. I also adjusted the clutch on my bike and hoped that this would cure (or at least help) my ills. Re was starting to fade, so we wrapped it up quickly and headed back up to the room. We worked on a little writing before lunch and then headed out to a different local restaurant that always seems to be full when we pass by. And we found out why.

Phuket was also a stop along the old trade route plied by ships between China and points westward, and so there was, and still is, a Chinese presence on the island. In addition to the architecture and culture, they also brought (more importantly to us) food. What this restaurant served was a version of the Hainanese chicken and rice and pork and rice that we enjoy so much in Malaysia. We ordered the combination plate that included chicken, roast pork, and crispy pork on rice, with their local versions of the dipping sauces. While different from what we've had before, they were a delicious variation on some of our favorite foods. While whatever Re has hasn't seemed to dampen her appetite much, it has dampened her spirits. She is certainly frustrated with feeling this badly, and reluctantly returned to the room since she wasn't feeling well enough to do anything else today. She is still popping paracetamol and has begun to get progressively itchier.

We spent the afternoon working on some more writing and reading and planning our escape to the islands in the Gulf. We were both getting a little stir-crazy by dinnertime, so we walked out for dinner around 7:00 pm. I offered to pick up dinner and bring it back to the room, but Re is really tired of the same four walls. Neither of us had a strong opinion about where to go for dinner, so we ended up at McDonald's. There are plenty of other food options in Phuket Town, but I think a taste of home (no matter how greasy) was attractive to us both, and the fact that the Dairy Queen was next door didn't hurt either. After another Blizzard, we went back to the room for the night.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #820
rep550
THR

Oddometer: 11
Dengue and 7-11 in Thailand

As everyone has mentioned there are 7-11's everywhere in Thailand the country would come to a stop if they weren't here. You can pay all your utility bills at them through their computers right at the counter just bring in the bill and they scan it through pretty amazing and a good idea. A corporation actually helping out.

I hope Re is feeling better by the time you read this. I had dengue fever a few years ago and it sure sounds like she has the same symptoms I had. Not much you can do if it is dengue it lasts about 7 days. The one thing the doctor did say is do not take any aspirin or ibuprophen like pain killers that also thin the blood. If a person has the hemoragic dengue you dont' want to go near any thing that might thin the blood bad news. Just tylenol or similar for the fever and pain.

Good luck I hope Re is back in the saddle riding tall soon.
Later
Tom in Chiang Mai
rep550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #821
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:

Pretty Clutch...but not so sure about the baby blue diaper.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #822
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
I think Colin is getting in on the cheesecake pics with that shot. Should that pic be in the "Toxic Men" thread?

MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #823
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 935
ah ha ha ha...silk thongs, nothing better to ride in!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #824
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineScoot View Post
I think Colin is getting in on the cheesecake pics with that shot. Should that pic be in the "Toxic Men" thread?

Oooh, Re's gonna be sad That's not me, it's her I think you boys just talked yourself out of any further cheesecake shots.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #825
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Uh oh...

I blame the photographer then. Yeah, that's it.
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote