Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #76
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Missing and loose bolts/nuts....blue locktite is your friend. Get some and apply to every nut on the bikes before you leave. Enjoy Canada.
Except the ones that aren't service items, use red Loctite on those.

Enjoy South Africa, you'll be posting on my time zone then!

Packer screwed with this post 09-14-2011 at 04:35 AM
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #77
LS650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Those in-laws sound awful!
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #78
nathanthepostman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post
Thanks for the good wishes and advice. Your ride report helped me convince my wife to go along with this crazy idea, so thanks for that, too. No chance on relacing the wheels before Africa since the bikes are already in the crate. I do have a few extra spare spokes, so fingers crossed. I hope Dot enjoys her new heart, 125ccs sounds like a nice upgrade. I think our bikes with 150ccs would be about perfect.

That's alright, it was just a real pleasure to come across your thread and see my name mentioned. And I thank you in return for the reverse inspiration. I'm just waiting for some brackets to come for the new engine. It's a 125cc semi-auto with around 12bhp, 5 up on the original. I thought about a 140cc but considered that too extravagant. And powerful, way up there at 15bhp! I bought it brand new for just over $200 so I was just thinking that if you guys ever have any serious mechanical woes on the road it might just be cheaper slotting in a new unit rather than fixing the old one. From what I gather reliability is there for maybe 8000 miles.

I just wish you all the best and like everyone else say not to worry about what the inlaws say. It's only their own fears speaking out. Dream-squashers, that's all they are.

nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #79
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
Your in-laws may disapprove but as far as I am concerned you are living a dream. What's the point of having an education if it doesn't help you achieve your dreams?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #80
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
It seems like one thing we never regret is our travels.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #81
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
9/12 9/14 Prepping the bikes for their flight to Cape Town

Monday morning we rode the mighty Symbas through Mississauga morning rush hour traffic to Pack-All Crating. This crating company was recommended to us by our contact at British Airways Cargo. We arrived around 8:30 am and met with our contact who directed us around to the warehouse. We rode in, and the foreman found us a safe spot to park the bikes. We had to explain our plans a couple of times before everyone understood how we wanted them crated. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and let us get to disassembling the bikes. While I removed the front wheels and fenders from each bike, Re disconnected the batteries and also acted as a counterweight. We then unbolted the handlebars and folded them so they were parallel with the front forks. The handlebar mounting bolts are partially hidden below the speedometers and were a pain in the ass to remove. I then zip-tied the handlebars in place, and we arranged the bikes as they would be fitted in the crate. Once we had them arranged, measurements were taken and the crate size finalized. The whole process took about 1.5 hours. The good news of the day was that due to the small size and light weight of our bikes it was determined that we could use a lighter weight crate (apparently the depleted uranium option wasn't required). Our crate will now only weigh 212 pounds instead of 275 and at $3 CAD per pound, it adds up rather quickly. We left our bikes in their capable hands and walked the 3 miles or so to the airport terminal where we picked up our rental car. We are out of the habit of walking so far, especially carrying all of our riding gear in hand. We drove back to the hotel and collapsed. The shipping issue has been the most stressful part of the trip so far and getting this far was a relief.

Tuesday we wrote some blog posts and RRs and generally hung out. We did go out for a really delicious thali lunch at some Indian restaurant and sweets shop in a strip mall across from the airport. They were doing renovations so we had to get our food to go. We tried to find a park to eat in but settled for the bleachers at a ballpark next to the Powerade Centre. I always take Re to the nicest places! At least the food was excellent, with one of our favorite taste treats, soan papdi for dessert. We called the crating company later in the afternoon and were told that we could come by the next morning to put the last few items in the crate.

Wednesday we headed back to the crating company early in the morning. When we got there, we found our bikes loaded in their crate and the top waiting to go on. We put our helmets and riding gear in the crate and then watched while they closed it up and stenciled on all the appropriate markings. Shortly thereafter, the cartage company arrived and loaded it into their truck for the 3 mile ($100 CAD!!) ride to the British Airways Cargo facility. We followed in our car and met with Desmond Green who was filling in for Savio that day. In less than 20 minutes, we completed all the paperwork and paid for the shipping and were on our way to lunch. Our crate came in at 70x44x38 inches and 301 kilos, which meant that we had to pay for 320 kilos since that was our weight by volume (length X width X height in inches /366 is the formula to calculate volume weight in kilos, and they charge you whichever is heavier, actual or volume weight). Including the $250 CAD dangerous goods fee and $25 CAD in paperwork, the total was $2364.60 CAD. Add in $389 for the crating and cartage, and our grand total was $2753.60 CAD. Since we have an address in the US to invoice, we are not subject to the 13% HST, which saved us a little bit on the crate cost. More than I hoped for but less than I feared, my original guesstimate was around $2400, but after we heard the crate weight and HST when we were in NC, I was figuring closer to $3000 CAD. . This is still far better than any quote we could get out of the US. We were offered our own 20 foot container by sea to Durban for over $4000 or airfreight from New York for $8300!!

Our flight for Cape Town leaves at around 11 pm on 9/15, so between then and now we have laundry to do, and we have to completely re-pack our luggage for the airplane.

Our trip so far has covered a combined 10484 miles. We have used 113.25 gallons of fuel over that distance for an average of 92.6 mpg. We also averaged 327 miles per day of riding, which ain't bad for 100ccs!
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #82
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Missing and loose bolts/nuts....blue locktite is your friend. Get some and apply to every nut on the bikes before you leave. Enjoy Canada.
I have been avoiding the threadlocker as long as possible but just broke down and bought a tube of blue this afternoon. I know its the right thing to do but I have been a little nervous about the quality of the bolts on our bikes. Grade 8.8 they ain't... I briefly considered the purple but I'll just use the blue sparingly and hope for the best!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #83
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman View Post
That's alright, it was just a real pleasure to come across your thread and see my name mentioned. And I thank you in return for the reverse inspiration. I'm just waiting for some brackets to come for the new engine. It's a 125cc semi-auto with around 12bhp, 5 up on the original. I thought about a 140cc but considered that too extravagant. And powerful, way up there at 15bhp! I bought it brand new for just over $200 so I was just thinking that if you guys ever have any serious mechanical woes on the road it might just be cheaper slotting in a new unit rather than fixing the old one. From what I gather reliability is there for maybe 8000 miles.

I just wish you all the best and like everyone else say not to worry about what the inlaws say. It's only their own fears speaking out. Dream-squashers, that's all they are.
There have been more than a few times on this trip so far that I have wished for more horsepower, 15 sounds great. I would be interested to know if the increased power would have a meaningful impact on the fuel mileage. more hp should require more fuel but perhaps not having to run WFO all the time would help minimize the loss in fuel mileage? It will be interesting to see what you find. Just replacing a wounded or dead motor along the way sounds like an interesting idea, I just don't know how that would effect our Carnet. Hopefully we never have to find out!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #84
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,087
I wanted to thank you for this thread and wish you a safe and happy journey. You two are a freaking inspiration to those of us who love the simpler side of motorcycling.

Cheers and have a great trip. Looking forward to the rest of the RR.

Dave
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 AM   #85
nathanthepostman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
There have been more than a few times on this trip so far that I have wished for more horsepower, 15 sounds great. I would be interested to know if the increased power would have a meaningful impact on the fuel mileage. more hp should require more fuel but perhaps not having to run WFO all the time would help minimize the loss in fuel mileage? It will be interesting to see what you find. Just replacing a wounded or dead motor along the way sounds like an interesting idea, I just don't know how that would effect our Carnet. Hopefully we never have to find out!
Ah, I didn't consider the Carnet implications. That could be an issue. As for MPG, I'm actually expecting it to be a little better than the original engine. I'm sure I never got close to 100mpg out of it but talk is of this 125 doing at least that. We'll see. It sounds a simple switch in principle but I'm sure in practice less so. Anyway, great to see the bikes packed and crated. By now I'm sure you're almost about there, in South Africa, on two American registered 100cc mopeds. How cool is that! Safe riding to the both of you.

nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #86
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,548
loving the RR so far, can't wait for the next chapter!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #87
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
loving the RR so far, can't wait for the next chapter!
We can't wait either. We are sitting in the airport in Toronto rIght now, waiting for our flight. The bikes leave around 9pm and we follow them around 11pm. Then we have like 20 hours on the planes before we arrive in Cape Town at 8am on the 17th. Our bikes are scheduled to arrive on Sunday the 18th so hopefully we will be picking them up on Monday morning. Then off to Hermanus to see some whales and then...
Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #88
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Good to see you well on your way.

Besides a few fastener issues on my AK trip the other main thing that got me was the dreaded flooded engine. Once I got back to CA I took off the evap system which I think was the main cause of the flooded engine. Seems like the float needle was acting up too when I checked. Also the auto petcock wouldn't close so I ended up putting on a inline petcock. Never had an issue afterwards.

I'm surprised you didn't loctite many of the fasteners that are coming off. I loctited every thing except the swing arm and exhaust nuts, which were the only two that I had issues with. Not a single one that was loctited came loose.

The clutch on down shifts was always more jerky then up shifts. What I did to smooth out the shift was to let the engine rev down a little before I down shifted.

Seems like you rear tire lasted a little longer then mine did...guess those gravel roads wears out tires much faster then pavement.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #89
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
We can't wait either. We are sitting in the airport in Toronto rIght now, waiting for our flight. The bikes leave around 9pm and we follow them around 11pm. Then we have like 20 hours on the planes before we arrive in Cape Town at 8am on the 17th. Our bikes are scheduled to arrive on Sunday the 18th so hopefully we will be picking them up on Monday morning. Then off to Hermanus to see some whales and then...
All the best with the flight and looking forward to the "re-assembly" at the other end. BTW, I was at a trade show today on Dixon Road in Toronto, right on the airport strip. My guess is you were somewhere in that general area too. Small world, but a little bigger when your traveling across it on a small bike like the Symba!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #90
Circle Blue
Here and There

Oddometer: 59
Wishing you well.

Been thinking of you today and am glad to know when your flight is scheduled to leave. Hope you have an uneventful flight. Looking forward to hearing about whales and . . . .
Circle Blue is offline   Reply With Quote