Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #1051
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I have been reading along since this threads inception and while I am sad that international portion has come to an end I sincerely look forward to any future adventures that you are willing to share. This has truly been one of THE most epic ADVR threads EVER!!!! Oh, and welcome back to the U S of A !!
Glad that you enjoyed it!
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #1052
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
Got to ride with Colin and Re a bit on Wednesday as they headed out of Los Angeles for points North and East. We met at Jay's Shell at the 210 & 2 and ran (walked?) up to Newcomb's Ranch for lunch and then back to Upper Big Tujunga where they made a right towards home and I headed back down the 2 and my place.

It was a bit different to be on the Helix and have the most horse power We did most of the uphill portions at 30-35MPH and actually hit a bit over 40 on a couple of the down hill runs.

There were several comments about their steeds and their journey from others up there. Most were utter amazement mixed with some disbelief.

Ride safe guys...

jdg
Thanks again for all your help and company, John. It was fun to ride with you and have lunch at Newcomb's. Now you have a taste of riding the world at 35 mph! It takes a while.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #1053
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Ventura View Post
Back in big-bike country!

Gosh ... we are already missing you guys badly in Malaysia

Everyone else on this thread do come over and ride Malaysia!

Ronnie
We are missing Malaysia, too! It's hard not to compare everything here in the States to Malaysia or other places we've been. And we can second the recommendation - do go over and ride Malaysia!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #1054
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
it's amazing to see how mmuch you can do with so little! Lovely! thank you for sharing
That's what she said!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #1055
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I have enjoyed your RR immensely. I will be on a ride myself for the next week and may miss the end of your trip since I won't have internet access. I will of course catch up when I can. Thinking about the end of your trip reminded me of a scene from Forest Gump. He has just run back and forth across the country several times and has picked up quite a large group of followers. Then he stops and says "I'm tired. I think I'll go home now." Then one of his followers says "Now what? What are we supposed to do? (or something to that effect).

That will be us...all your loyal followers.

So what are we supposed to do when your RR comes to an end?

You're on your own on that account, we're still trying to figure out what we're going to do!!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #1056
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
,Its been a great read and I can sympathise with the mixed feeling you would be having returning home on one hand comfort ,friends ,family etc on the other the same old routines, restlessness, the need for a new destination ,I was only in S.E. Asia for 5 weeks and moped around the house for several more when I returned .
I think you may find it hard to settle for a fair while.
All the best
It's been very hard to adjust to being back in the States so far. I find myself randomly thinking about experiences we've had on the road and people we have met along the way, and I miss them. We are having a hard time enjoying the ride to Oregon since it truly is the end.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #1057
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB160 View Post
Wow, would have loved to have met up with you on Hwy 2. I don't suppose you got any hassle by the CHP up there..just
'burning along' on your bikes, eh? I haven't been up there in years (on the ZX10, hehe) but it's a beautiful ride (for LA standards)...I hope you had time to wander down PCH and see the beaches while you were here.
I've been following along and having a great time with you...
Can't wait for the next trip!
Get home safe!
GT
We've only been stopped once since we left LA and that was by an Inyo County Sheriff's Deputy. He thought we were riding too slowly! and made us wait until he checked with CHP. After he found out we were legal, he wished us luck!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #1058
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
I've just had lunch with a friend who grew up in Malaysia during the Emergency... in the 50's and into the 60's. I've got a new list of places to see. I'll be back tomorrow to KL... will see how I go on the way north.
Hopefully they were able to get your KTM sorted while you were away and it'll be smooth sailing from now on. Enjoy the trip and we'll be keeping an eye on your RR!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #1059
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post
It's been very hard to adjust to being back in the States so far. I find myself randomly thinking about experiences we've had on the road and people we have met along the way, and I miss them. We are having a hard time enjoying the ride to Oregon since it truly is the end.
I'm glad you have one another to lean on during this readjustment period. I can tell you, going through it alone can be brutal.
If you come through Colorado you have a place to camp and take showers. I live considerably south of Fort Collins.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #1060
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Update from the Road

We made it into Lakeview, Oregon last night and are headed for John Day, Oregon today. It may be a slower than usual ride today since my axle problem in Malaysia seems to have struck again, this time in the form of a ruined rear wheel bearing. I have the bearing but don't have anything to use as a driver to install it. I have access to tools and shop space in John Day, so hopefully we can make the 210 miles successfully. If not, it may be another roadside repair. The other bit of bad news is that we just found out that this weekend is the Chief Joseph BMW Rally in John Day, so I fear that accommodations will be in short supply. Wish us luck!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #1061
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Wonderful ride adventure
Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #1062
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
John Day

The ride report has been awesome. Scooter Chick and I are supposed to take off tomorrow a.m. for a trip to Portland. Nothing like your ride of course, but spinning the wheels on a secondary road is a powerful lure to most of us....and some just sit at home. I don't get that.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #1063
Ronnie Ventura
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
I've just had lunch with a friend who grew up in Malaysia during the Emergency... in the 50's and into the 60's. I've got a new list of places to see. I'll be back tomorrow to KL... will see how I go on the way north.
Hey Ian, when do you think you'd be riding up to Penang (Georgetown, weird for a local to call it that)? I'm headed down to KL this Wednesday 20th, and riding up the next day Thursday 21st through the eastern ridge of the Titty (this is for Colin!) mountains up to Sungai Koyan or Gua Musang, then making a left westwards to Ipoh. It'll be with another newbie rider on a KLX250S. Hope you can join us!

As for the Emergency period hotspots - I wonder if your friend told you about Taiping and Gerik; two towns closest to some of the fiercest skirmishes in "red zones". I'll be leading a ride on July 13-15 through some of the deserted roads used by the CTs (communist-terrorists) ... mountain and swamp country, with monkeys chasing and perhaps a sighting of the rare Malayan Tiger. Riding into elephant poop is almost a given; being gored by one (again, in your case LOL) is hopefully an option ...

Hope you an join us on that, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning
We are missing Malaysia, too! It's hard not to compare everything here in the States to Malaysia or other places we've been. And we can second the recommendation - do go over and ride Malaysia!
Thanks, Colin! Yeah, everyone join us here soon!
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #1064
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post
I guess I shouldn't mention that the new family compound is about 30 minutes from Scott's, we can't wait!
So where is the "new family compound"? Selma?????
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #1065
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
So where is the "new family compound"? Selma?????
I prefer to think of us as "Micro adjacent!"