Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #1096
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,624
Thanks for taking me along on your incredible journey! I know it was a lot of work to share it with us. If you ever come to Vermont, give me a holler and I'll show you the best we have to offer! -Tom

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #1097
scrappyscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Did you guys make back to NC?
scrappyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #1098
Ivyleague
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
In the spirit of Jonathan Edwards....

Great read and greater journey. My wife is weary of me telling your tale. Maybe I missed it, but did you have a budget when you started? How close did you come, if I may ask without being rude, asking in the name of the eternal quest for "Sunshine"

working starts to make me wonder
where fruits of what i do are goin
he says in love and war all is fair
but he's got cards he ain't showin

well how much does it cost
i'll buy it
the time is all we've lost
i'll try it
he can't even run his own life
i'll damned if he'll run mine...(sunshine)

Read more: http://artists.letssingit.com/jonath...#ixzz203NrISx1
LetsSingIt - Your favorite Music Community

Ivyleague screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 10:46 AM
Ivyleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #1099
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
OK, you're back in the US but surely you aren't completely done riding? Hope all is well and decompression is going OK.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #1100
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
I had a similar failure on my Zinda in Vietnam a couple of years back. Happened 50 metres from a bike shop.... cost about $2 including labor and new cush rubbers to fix.

In the meantime, I bring greetings to you both from Penang...

Puss' owner specifically asked me to pass on his warmest regards to you both.
Thanks Ian! This picture has given us many smiles, we are thrilled that you got it. We miss Puus (and Krishna, too)! Glad you made it back to Malaysia and George Town.
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #1101
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYSYM View Post
My wife is aware that I read your reports on a regular basis, she now fears that I will take off on my Symba to parts unknown. I showed her how to use the "Find My iPhone App" to locate me wherever I am in range of a 3g tower. That has relaxed her for now.

I appreciate your continuing the story on your return adventures through the USA. I am keenly interested in the compact, neat and orderly way your gear is packed on your cycles. You provided us with a complete inventory of what you started out with on your trip, sometime, when you get a chance, you should let us know what you've kept or added to your equipment list.

Of course, the best thing to pack along is the spirit of adventure and the patience to deal with whatever problems arise along the way. You guys clearly have that in the tool kit.

Lament not that your travels are done, rejoice with us all that they really happened.

Thanks,

KYSYM
I'm glad that you (and everyone else) enjoyed our trip! I am planning on doing a trip wrap-up post sometime soon that will cover expenses, mileage, and some comments about our gear. I'll try to think about what we have added to our gear list, too. Tell your wife "Sorry for the worry" from us.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #1102
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappyscooter View Post
Did you guys make back to NC?
Yep, we've been in Selma, NC for the past several weeks. We are suffering from an extreme case of culture shock!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #1103
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyleague View Post
Great read and greater journey. My wife is weary of me telling your tale. Maybe I missed it, but did you have a budget when you started? How close did you come, if I may ask without being rude, asking in the name of the eternal quest for "Sunshine"

working starts to make me wonder
where fruits of what i do are goin
he says in love and war all is fair
but he's got cards he ain't showin

well how much does it cost
i'll buy it
the time is all we've lost
i'll try it
he can't even run his own life
i'll damned if he'll run mine...(sunshine)

Read more: http://artists.letssingit.com/jonath...#ixzz203NrISx1
LetsSingIt - Your favorite Music Community
I'll be doing a post soon covering the costs in detail but the short answer is that we did have a basic budget and we exceeded it for shipping and air travel and were at the low end on daily costs (about 56 USD per day). More to come
Old 07-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #1104
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Awol

Sorry we have been gone for so long! It has been very tough adjusting to life off the road. I expected it to be much easier but I was wrong. If I knew how hard stopping would be, we might have just kept going! Not a day goes by that I don't wish we were still on the road. As our friend Alan said, "Never fly First Class, that way you won't know what you are missing." Well we know what we are missing. This trip was the best thing I have ever done in my life and I miss it terribly. Every day.

I have been putting off writing about the last two days of the trip because I haven't wanted to think about it. But it's time. So I managed to get one day done today and will try to get the last day done tomorrow. Thanks again to all of you who enjoyed our ride, your support and good wishes meant (and still mean) a lot to us!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #1105
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

6/18 Ride to The Dalles

After a chilly night, we woke to a clear morning. Things had gotten a little damp from the dew overnight, so we pulled our tent and rainfly into the sun to dry. While we waited for the sun to do its magic, we packed up the rest of the gear. After a cup of cowboy coffee, we took a shower at the bath house and got ready to hit the road. We wheeled out of Clyde Holliday State Park and rode the ten miles into John Day, where we stopped for a commemorative sausage biscuit for breakfast (you may recall that this was our breakfast when we stopped here last August 1 on day three of this trip). Thoroughly greased up, we rode down to the courthouse, where we visited with old friends and coworkers. After saying our goodbyes, we finally turned the bikes north at around 11:00am and headed for The Dalles.

As we made our way along the John Day River, it began to rain, gently, and the rain continued on and off for the next 30 miles. We were both quite chilly, since in addition to the rain, it was barely 60 degrees. Aahh, summertime in Oregon... After riding through Picture Gorge, we stopped for a bathroom break at the John Day Fossil Beds. We met another couple on big bikes, and they said it wasn't raining in the direction we were heading. We continued the familiar drive toward The Dalles, albeit at a much slower pace than we were accustomed to driving it. Eastern Oregon is truly beautiful in its own way, with soaring rock formations and the John Day River.

Shortly after we passed through the town of Spray, I signaled for Re to pull over for a photo. The picture was to commemorate us covering 24,901 miles on this trip, which equals the circumference of the Earth!

Soon after, we found ourselves chugging slowly up the hill toward Fossil, Oregon. By the time we reached the top of the pass, at close to 5,000 feet, we were very cold. It was still very cloudy, and that coupled with the elevation made for cold hands. On the downhill side, we pulled into the Bear Hollow County Park. We found a convenient picnic table where we enjoyed a lunch of Clif Bars and fruit. I spied the remains of a campfire in one of the fire circles and decided that would be the perfect way to warm up our hands. Since the campfire had long since gone out, I brought it back to life with a splash of gasoline from one of our jerrycans and one of the wax matches we got in India. We instantly had a small fire, which we huddled over for about 20 minutes. After properly extinguishing it (House on fire! Put it out!) we continued on our way. Once we were past Fossil, the sun appeared and the day began to gradually warm. As the day wore on, we drove out of the mountains and valleys and up into the wheat fields of eastern Oregon. We didn't have to wonder why they built all the wind farms here, since the signature wind tossed us around and slowed us down.

As we neared the Columbia River, I signaled again for Re to pull over, this time, for our 25,000 mile photo. At the Columbia River, we had to cross into Washington in order to continue westward to The Dalles, since our little bikes are not welcome on Interstate 84. The strong wind that had plagued us all day continued on the Washington side, but the beautiful views of the river helped to fill the time.

We finally arrived in The Dalles at around 7:00 pm and began our search for lodging. Our original plan was to camp, but the high winds and cold temperatures forced us to reconsider. We found a reasonably priced hotel in the downtown area. While I unpacked the bikes, Re headed out to our favorite local Chinese restaurant to pick up some dinner. Since there ain't much to do in The Dalles, we made it an early night.

227 miles in about 8 hours. The bikes are running well, but the wind and the mountains killed our average speed.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #1106
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,225
How are you guys adapting to the American diet? Between your food photos and Jammin Jay's I thought that I was looking at the ideal diets.
I know re - acclimating can be tough. It's good that you have one another.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #1107
stitchergary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
What an outstanding job you've done traversing the world and documenting it for all of us armchair quarterbacks to enjoy. I can understand the letdown on finishing your travels. Although nothing on your level. I rode a Ural with a sidecar around the U.S., traveling through 30 states, 10 National Parks, and covering just over 14,000 miles. Many readers could never understand how I could travel so many miles on something that traveled so slow. My average speed was about 50 MPH. Probably lightning fast for the both of you. There was hardly a time I wanted to go any faster. To me it's all about enjoying the beautiful scenery and talking to great people.
Poor Man Uraling the USA http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454177

Tim and Cindie Travis started traveling by bicycle from their home in Arizona, through Mexico, Central and South America. While on the road they kept a journal and eventually got the idea of writing a book. Their first book, "The Road That Has No End" was published. They then completed two more books together, then after their divorce, Cindie completed another book on their travels through China. Their books helped them to finance traveling for about 10 years and Tim is still traveling now. You're such a great writer I could see you both financing your travels doing the same thing. It's all about marketing yourselves, getting publicity, and documenting the lifestyle you've been enjoying so much.

Maybe you could purchase a few of these Symbas and have guided tours through areas that you enjoy so much. A travel/eat/museum/elephant park/leisure/relax vacations. Just a thought. OK, I have to pack the Kawasaki Versys for a few days riding around the New England states before my 2 weeks of vacation comes to and end. 8 more years before traveling the world. Now I've got to check out these Symbas more.....Thanks again for the great ride report.
Gary

stitchergary screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 07:15 AM
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #1108
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
culture shock

Glad your home safe and sound ,but I understand your "culture shock". Returning home from Europe after completing Military duty, I felt like I had jumped on a merry go round running at full speed. Life was at such a fast pace upon retuning. I was used to a much simpler and slower pace while in Europe and the hustle bustle of life in the US was very notable. I've adjusted, but I still maintain a slower pace than before and find it more enjoyable. I'm riding my 250cc bikes more now days, also for the same reasons. Your adventures on smaller bikes have shown me that. I'm pleased to have been an Underboning groupie and followed your adventures. Keep us all [groupies] in touch here at ADV, and again welcome home. CMS///Terry
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #1109
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
Enjoying the updates
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #1110
thepackrat
i can ride that

Oddometer: 34
BRAVO! adventure well done!