Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #1156
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
shipping two Symba's ended being a major chunk of costs ($7,322)... at $2k each ... would it have been more cost effective to sell, instead of paying for shipping charges? then buy brand new Symba's at destination?
The shipping charges did add up, but we wanted to do the trip on the same bikes and have them as a souvenir at the end.

That said, buying and selling wouldn't have been very easy for our trip. Many (or most) countries won't let you register a vehicle if you aren't a citizen or don't have a permanent address in the country. There are workarounds in many countries, but they can be expensive, time consuming, and of questionable legality. And if you are going to travel through any countries that require Carnet, then things get exponentially harder.

We considered flying and renting, but that means you have to always return to the city you began in. Not a very efficient way to get around the world, in my opinion.

If we were only doing a section of the world then buying or renting would be a much better option. For instance, you can fly into Malaysia, buy an underbone, ride out through Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos and then return to Malaysia to sell the bike on. Alternately, you can buy a well used bike in Viet Nam and ride out to the other countries listed above. Since most bikes from Viet Nam aren't worth much (and don't cost much) you can just abandon it at the airport when you leave or donate it to a worthy cause. We saw abandoned Vietnamese plated bikes several places on our trip.
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #1157
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it, we had fun, too! Hope we didn't run too long, we were only supposed to be on for 30 minutes and I guess we ran over by quite a bit.

Re was a little more than a little nervous about talking to such a large group. At one point she said that she'd rather ride India again! But she said that she actually enjoyed it once she got started.
I don't think anybody minded the extra time. This was the third time I've been at one of these and I've seen the audience reaction which is always polite. With you guys, it was beyond just polite. They were very engaged in everything you had to say. The Q&A might have gone a little long but not by much and I don't think anybody complained. During your actual presentation, you had them hanging on your every word.

Just a note as well, I don't think anybody suspected that this was the first time you gave a public speech on the trip. The comedic timing between you and Re was perfect.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #1158
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 34,965
Quote:

Re was a little more than a little nervous about talking to such a large group. At one point she said that she'd rather ride India again! But she said that she actually enjoyed it once she got started.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #1159
MaineScoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
I don't suppose anybody videotaped this talk. If so post it up for us to see.
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #1160
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
"...the first time I rolled onto I-95 I was shocked at the acceleration. After a year on a Symba, it was a surprise!
Just drove back from NC this past weekend and as I passed the sign for Micro I just had to laugh remembering the "Micro Adjacent" ADVriders.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #1161
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 199
After finding this a few weeks ago on the sym website under reviews I am done reading the whole thing. I also want to say thank you for the time involved in the making of this. I bought a tu250 last September and this report has inspired me to get some luggage and at least do a couple day camping trips. I know it's not nearly as awsome but its a start. Thanks again and good luck :-)
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #1162
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Hey Underboner,

You guys back in PDX for a while or...? I'm gonna be doing the Scootercannonball this summer and if you are still in PDX I'd love to visit for a day on my way up to AK.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote