Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #31
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Very cool ride report, redpillar. I love the American West (seems I have a particular fondness for the high desert regions), and yearn for the day when I can ride there. Threads like this just fuel the fire.

Say, on a tangent, I noticed that you don't have an MT43 on the rear - is it a D606 this time? I know you've tried the MT43 in the past, so are you developing any deeper insight on the MT43 vs more traditional options?
Thanks Lutz,
I took the 43 off because it was about 50% done. I had the MT 21 in the shop for a year or so, so I stuck it on and now it is 50% done. I have a 606 that is also 50% done sitting here. I will put on another 43 when the 21 is toast or if I head out on the Washington trail. I like the 43 the best of all of them, it would have been fine on the desert trip except maybe that looooong muddy water crossing we went through at Skirks.

redpillar screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 10:22 PM Reason: Fixed math mistake
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #32
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan888 View Post
Thanks for sharing Red, looks like an awesome ride. Looks like you would definitely need the big gas tank to get across some of those desolate areas. I love to see people make things like this happen.
Dan
Thanks Dan. It was fun. I just installed the 350 kit so we will see how that affects the mileage. On the longest day across the nevada leg I thought I was getting low but when I filled I think I still had about half a gallon left, not including the 3 litres in fuel bottles.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #33
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej View Post
Wow! That ride report is epic!...no spectacular....no...it's EPTACULAR!!! That's a new word, feel free to use it. LOL I'll add it to the "Official Ride Reports page" Thanks for sharing man!

djk
Thanks Deej. You are Eptacular.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #34
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar View Post
Thanks Lutz,
I took the 43 off because it was about 50% done. I had the MT 41 in the shop for a year or so, so I stuck it on and now it is 50% done. I have a 606 that is also 50% done sitting here. I will put on another 43 when the 41 is toast or if I head out on the Washington trail. I like the 43 the best of all of them, it would have been fine on the desert trip except maybe that looooong muddy water crossing we went through at Skirks.
Hey Red,
Do you mean MT-21, 'cause I searched around and couldn't find a 41? Funny you mention the 43, as I'm running some cheap trials tire that I picked up on CL (2 for $35) and I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to trying what I expect to be a higher-quality Pirelli 43 as soon as I burn through these cheapos. Have you run them up any tough rocky climbs? Any chunking of the knobs?

Do you know how much you and your bro were carrying, weight-wise (kg or lbs)? It looks like he put a good load on his.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #35
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Hey Red,
Do you mean MT-21, 'cause I searched around and couldn't find a 41? Funny you mention the 43, as I'm running some cheap trials tire that I picked up on CL (2 for $35) and I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to trying what I expect to be a higher-quality Pirelli 43 as soon as I burn through these cheapos. Have you run them up any tough rocky climbs? Any chunking of the knobs?

Do you know how much you and your bro were carrying, weight-wise (kg or lbs)? It looks like he put a good load on his.
Yup I meant a 21 knob, not to good at math…I will repair the post. Thx
Old 08-23-2011, 03:01 AM   #36
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
great ride report
love the pictures
one thing....
outside of jo momma....
no politics, please
some of the comments made were unnecessary and they detract from your otherwise stellar presentation here

no offense intended
well done
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #37
cinco
bageldog

Oddometer: 162
Redpillar I enjoy reading your reports - thanks!

Couple of questions for you:

1. HeadLight - Ooohh my likey Could you provide more details on your headlight and dual beam conversion? For example, manufacturer, model #, cost, and how you mounted it? What's your opinion of illumination vs. stock?

2. 351 Big Bore Kit - How much do you weigh? Any input on increase in highway cruising ability?

Thanks.
cinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #38
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post

1. HeadLight - Ooohh my likey Could you provide more details on your headlight and dual beam conversion? For example, manufacturer, model #, cost, and how you mounted it? What's your opinion of illumination vs. stock?
he's out riding the wabdr...

from the pics afar looks like the trail tech 8" race light. The hid version is almost 2x $$ over the halogen
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #39
HeavyFuel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Great (inspiring) ride report Redpillar. Thanks for taking the time to put it up, and link to it on Kawiforums (I wouldn't have found it otherwise)
HeavyFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #40
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
great ride report
love the pictures
one thing....
outside of jo momma....
no politics, please
some of the comments made were unnecessary and they detract from your otherwise stellar presentation here

no offense intended
well done
Thanks for the comments glad you enjoyed my report, no offense taken, but I see nothing political in what I said, just personal observations. I don't see "newscasts" like that where I live, so when I do see them they are particularly obtrusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post
Redpillar I enjoy reading your reports - thanks!

Couple of questions for you:

Thanks again, It is indeed a Trailtech 8" race light with a conversion I purchased from an inmate here. I think you will find it if you do a search in the vendors section. If you can't find it PM me and I will send you the info. I really like the output from both the single and two beam versions. considerably better than the stock light, and much lighter, which is the main reason I changed it. I was given the light by a fellow in Idaho, out of the blue.

2. 351 Big Bore Kit - How much do you weigh? Any input on increase in highway cruising ability?

I am about 180 to 190 in street clothes, the 351 make this the ideal do all bike in my opinion. My brother and I just rode on the slab from Blaine to Hood River last Friday to the start of the Washington Discovery Trail, using I5 for the first two hours and then inland roads all the way down. with no problem. We held no one up on the interstate and mostly passed people on the smaller roads

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
he's out riding the wabdr...

from the pics afar looks like the trail tech 8" race light. The hid version is almost 2x $$ over the halogen
We were indeed riding the Washington Trail and what a blast we had. Your tracks were spot on again Dale. Thanks for the heads up on the big bike workarounds. We rode from the start to Hiway 20 camping in Winthrop on the fourth night. Trip report to come.

redpillar screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 08:22 PM
Old 09-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #41
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Looked like a lot of fun! Lots of neat riding in Oregon, I want to explore more of it.
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #42
crashkorolyk
just happy to ride

Oddometer: 24
great ride report,oregon is one of my favorite places to get away to!
crashkorolyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #43
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #44
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 303
Dan's own Vancouver Island

Nice ride report Dan & great pics, thanks for sharing. For any riders interested there are some equally good rides in Dan's own back yard on Vancouver Island. Especially entertaining is the "haul road" leading out to Winter Harbour; I ran it in 2008 and saw lots of Blackies (no Grizzlies!) plus some of the largest log carriers I've ever seen. The road served as a good tune up for running the Alcan to Deadhorse and Winter Harbour has a free campground including free firewood. I was the only camper there in July, got to watch Otters doing their thing with Sea Urchins, Bald Eagles were common as well. All told it was a great little town and well worth the ride out, the road was a bit rough in places but that's part of the fun, eh?

LL75
Attached Images

larrylarry75 is online now   Reply With Quote