Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Game On!!

Day 1

I landed Friday after flying since Tuesday. I was a bit beat to say the least, not even a caffeine fix could help me out.

I was met by Eric, who I bought the bike from, at the airport. The bike was clean and all shiny, much better condition than I expected. Thanks buddy.

Unfortunately the brand spanking new Garmin I bought just for this trip (with nice US maps and all...), failed to go past the boot screen when I tested it while waiting for Eric.

While transferring my stuff to the bike the only thing I could think was that I was in way over my head. I had to remember to stay on the right side of the road while finding my way to a street 100 miles away in some direction. Eric was trying to tell me something, but the only thing going round my head was "I AM SO STUFFED"

And that in a foreign country....

AfricaWim screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 02:01 AM
AfricaWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #32
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was still trying to figure out what I was going to do when the security lady, who already chased Eric off, sternly told me to get my butt outa there or get towed/ticketed.

What the heck I though, how bad can it be. At worst I can guide myself by the sun....sheesh...I'm from Africa after all. I fired the bike up, looked to my right for oncoming traffic and pulled out in front of an airport bus...ooops...better not do that again...

Getting outside I notice that there are no sun. Crap again. Then as I get on the highway it starts raining...this is not going too well.

Eventually I got off the highway, decided to not worry and just ride until I saw something that looked familiar and as long as I got to Fort Pierce by dark the rest would be an adventure.

I had a great day riding and eventually got to my destination, even though it was a bit late when I finally did.

My route...yes it is a kinda roundabout way to go north...

[CENTER]/[CENTER]

Wrong way??? You think????

How close is Sebring to the East Coast?? Closer than Fort Myers, I can tell you.

Eventually riding into Fort Pierce as it was getting dark.

I think the first thing to buy tomorrow will be a new GPS.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #33
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
You did good; you took about the most scenic route possible, and still arrived just in time to get a great pic under the bridge.

Looks like you're gonna need that GPS - zig-zagging from the right to left coast and back gets to be a longer haul as you get a bit north.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #34
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim View Post
You did good; you took about the most scenic route possible, and still arrived just in time to get a great pic under the bridge.

Looks like you're gonna need that GPS - zig-zagging from the right to left coast and back gets to be a longer haul as you get a bit north.
My thoughts exactely....so Saturday morning the first thing I did was buy meself a brand new GPS:

Perfect!!

And it worked beautifully straight out of the box.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #35
SerpentZA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricaWim View Post
Thanks!!
Wow, China, that is different, but I am sure interesting? It must be an awesome cultural experience.
Some of the best riding in the world... if you're from Africa you can handle the driving style here :) very interested in how your trip goes, good luck with the GPS!
SerpentZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #36
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Like a zit on the end of your nose, this fred sat patiently, waiting to get attention. But like an old man with no fingers, I was.... I knew it was there, but I just did not have the time, energy or resources to just finish it off.

Yes, life got in the way, and I realized I probably had to either nuke it, or finish it before starting new stuff. So here goes, the condensed version......for you 2 bored people bothering to read my drivel.

The African conning his way up the East coast....12 months later.....yikes!!!

You may say...

...and I would not hold that against you

Day 2

OK, so cutting through the Everglades, my GPS plotting a straight line, storm clouds telling me I had better get my ass to the next town, I notice this sign.

My intention when I came on this trip was to eat as little junk food as possible, and to find as much local specific food, as I could. So this sign had me grab the anchors hard and swing a u-turn!!
How more local do you get.

As a rule I never order anything from the menu, but ask the owner/waiter to just bring me whatever their best dish is. Sometimes it works for me, and sometimes I think they conn me into eating stuff they can't get sold.

I asked the girl serving me to just bring me their tribes' most traditional dish. I'm sure I could hear them sniggering in the back......

At least I can now say that I've had frog's legs.

AfricaWim screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 02:03 AM
Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #37
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3

I punch in the co-ordinates for Mile Zero in my GPS. The voices tell me to head south ....so I do just that.

Not long after heading out of Homestead I hit the first bridge. HOLY SMOKES ....no-one told me there was going to be so many bridges to cross....daaahumm

But I do enjoy an awesome morning of riding. By midday as the sun starts to eat me alive, I get to Key West and my #1 goal for today:

AfricaWim screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 02:03 AM
Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #38
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Key West was BUZZIN!!
When planning this ride I never thought to check out US holidays, so I was in Key West on a long weekend and suddenly my plan to just wing it and find overnight when i get there, turned to poo. I could not even find a place to sit down and eat, far less a place to sleep.

So I took my picture, filled up with the most expensive gas of the whole trip, and started heading back to Homestead.

10 billion other people had the exact same brain fart and so now I was stuck in crawling traffic as all the holiday makers started returning home....ahhhhwww shoot. Not moving proved to be almost unbearable behind that big screen as the temperatures and humidity soared.

When it got too bad and the hunger pains were at their worst I pulled over for a snack.
They had to kick me out of the air-conditioned restaurant as the last thing I wanted to do was get out in that sun and traffic again. Pretty good pie that was:

After a quick swing by the beach, to cool off again & once more crossing a bazillion bridges ...I eventually made it off the Keys alive just before dark.

Dinner back in Homestead included a trip to the IHop, yea baby, feed me healthy local food...

Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #39
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4

Homestead to Daytona

Got up bright and early and got the GPS pointing North. Away we go!!

Something I found amazing was the humidity here. Before leaving my room, which was air-conditioned, I cleaned my lid and made sure my visor was all nice and clean and shiny. For the second morning in a row, I walked outside and found I had zero visibility when putting on my helmet ...in the time it took me to walk outside, it had fogged up! Inside, outside, even the shell...everything was wet.......werd.

I knew I had 300 miles to cover, but was not sure what the speed limit was going to be along this route, so I did not stop too often, scared I was not going to have enough day time and at the same time trying to figure out how things work here. Throughout I tried to stay off the highways as much as possible, and stick to US 1 wherever I could (So as not to get too lost ).

But seeing the turn off sign for the Valiant Air Command Warbird Museum grabbed my attention!! A handfull of anchors & a quick u-turn got me going in the right direction, I do like them airplanes .

What a awesome and worthwhile stop that was - even though the batteries on the camera died, I had a blast!!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #40
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Titusville was my next stop on the way to Daytona. As much as I would have liked to visited Cape Canaveral, I knew my schedule was just too tight to do the visitors thing...but at least I did get to see the memorial for the astronauts and Kennedy Space Center hall of fame.

Next stop, Daytona.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #41
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
I don't care that you are a year late in posting. I don't care that you may occasionally may drift to the wrong side of the road. But after seeing the picture of your underwear I am sure we need to tighten up our tourist visa requirements.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #42
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
I don't care that you are a year late in posting. I don't care that you may occasionally may drift to the wrong side of the road. But after seeing the picture of your underwear I am sure we need to tighten up our tourist visa requirements.
Hey, at least they were clean when I entered your country....

Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #43
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

With light still on my side I roll into Daytona.

Being a fanatic supporter of any type of racing, my #1 goal is to find the track. So I book in, drop off my stuff and go explore.

Then it is off to find the beach.....for the obligatory sign picture with people giving you the look.

Tourists

And early dinner....

This is the only overnight stop where I spent on accommodation with a hotel right on the beach + ocean view, so to make the best of it I zip back to town and pick up a nice Pinot Noir.

Sitting on my deck, with a nice wine, watching the sun go down...the perfect end to a good day of riding.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #44
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricaWim View Post
Hey, at least they were clean when I entered your country....
My bad. It is a biker forum and you are a Gnarly Adventuer! Just saying. Anyway, Welcome Back to our shore.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #45
AfricaWim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
My bad. It is a biker forum and you are a Gnarly Adventuer! ............
On a tourer....that may be pushing the truth...........but thanks for padding my ego