Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #61
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
Cool! Found some more LC4 cams. Kinda expensive, but lot's of different setups.

http://www.msd.it/camshftlc4.htm
http://www.msd.it/ecomm/prodotti_elenco.asp?cat=358

I've written an email asking some more questions, regarding whether I would need to upgrade my valve springs with the LC420001 camshaft. Aside from the pretty high price, I find it interesting that they offer three cams for mostly stock bikes. But I can't make sense of the numbers. Doh, I should have asked if 11.2mm lift was a misprint on the LC420001 page, as they all seem to have that, even their racing cams.

They have some marketing term called "SWING BOOST". Hmm I should have asked what the hell that is, and whether I can get some on my cam!

potatoho screwed with this post 05-27-2005 at 09:26 PM
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #62
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho

I can't do it! That's too much money for the same thing. And the rallye cam is sure to break me in half. So I'll keep looking for a 951170, or check if megacyclecam will make one, or buy a stocker and get it welded up by webcam.
how do you know if its the same thing? the KTM cams are proprietary; Sommer wouldn't tell me specs. said they weren't allowed.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #63
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
how do you know if its the same thing? the KTM cams are proprietary; Sommer wouldn't tell me specs. said they weren't allowed.
just going by the information posted by mtiberio on other threads. Oh wait, I didn't mean to say they were the same exact part. I meant that the measurements were close, and the requirements similar.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:39 PM   #64
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Hmm.. I'm starting to like what I read about the megacycle 702-45 cam. Looks like at the very least I'll need new springs though. Gotta call them to find out.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #65
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Just to follow up, I spoke with megacycle regarding the LC4. They were reluctant to recommend a performance cam as they hadn't worked on them in so long, and also the lack of decomp lobe was mentioned as a drawback. They don't have any drop-ins. I was interested in the 702-45 which is described as a mid-range torque cam. It was stressed very strongly however that I'd need a new piston for any of their cams, and of course springs.

They do have the cam specs in their catalog, in comparison with stock (the 249 cam). Is it the valve lift which I'd be most concerned with on a stock piston? I could go with one of the less-peaky cams, perhaps 702-25. Though at that point I might as well go with the LC4 racing cam (rallye cam).

I've communicated with a fellow, caflash, who has used the 702-45 cam on his 1996 620 SC. He gave me # 760-9484698 (edit: that is VSK 616-K) for the r/d springs he used. Actually not sure if he used a stock piston (edit: he used arias 101mm). I will find out. I also have been told by r/d that VSK 616-K is used by Larry Rossler in the LC4.

HotCams says they don't do LC4.

Haven't received a reply from CAMS F1 regarding their three drop-in cams. My question regards whether they are drop-in or not on my motor with the stock valve springs. This is the one I'm mostly thinking about getting if I can get over the $400 price. Waiting for the EURO to keep coming down.

Oh, I almost forgot. As had been posted on here a few times, the 2005 LC4 Adventure and Enduro allegedly have a new camshaft. It has "quicker valve timing". I cannot find an online parts fiche for the 2005 LC4 models. Can someone look in their 2005 motor manual "TIMING DRIVE" section and get the part number of the cam. Just curious. Thanks. (edit: I've been told it is the plain old 58336110044, which seems weird).

potatoho screwed with this post 06-02-2005 at 11:57 AM
Old 06-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #66
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Okay, I've decided on the TORNADO G1, a drop-in. I never heard back from CAMS F1 which is too bad because they "appear" to have several drop-ins which include the auto-decomp, but they don't give a lot of information and they are very expensive.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:51 AM   #67
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Okay, I've decided on the TORNADO G1, a drop-in. I never heard back from CAMS F1 which is too bad because they "appear" to have several drop-ins which include the auto-decomp, but they don't give a lot of information and they are very expensive.
oooh, sexy!

Camshaft TORNADO G1
268°/ 9,7 mm, Very good cam for standard bikes !! Tip !

Article Number: TornadoG1
Price: 279,00 EUR

More overall power from low to high
No changes or modifies on head and piston necessary.
Works with alll KTM 620, 640, 660 ccm
No valve spring kit necessary !
Public street use no problem!!
Schneider Cycles Tip !!!
E: 258° 10,85 mm Lift
A: 258° 10,85 mm Lift

http://www.ktmax.de/indexa.htm

much sexier than that crappy racing camshaft...

KTM Factory RACE Camshaft

be sure to take lotsa pics!

Old 06-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #68
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
be sure to take lotsa pics!
I'm still negotiating shipping. Right now, I could buy a rallye cam just for the cost of shipping this G1 from Germany.

It's not as sexy as the CAMS F1.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #69
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
I'm still negotiating shipping. Right now, I could buy a rallye cam just for the cost of shipping this G1 from Germany.

It's not as sexy as the CAMS F1.

guarantee it won't be as sexy as the one that comes outa the shipping box

the shipping shouldn't cost that much. but post an offer to join in a larger order to share shipping across the pond - heard it can help.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #70
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

It may not be so bad. I put a note on the order and hopefully they will come back with some cheaper options than the default 65 euro shipping. Then again, I guess that isn't so horribly bad. I keep getting the euro and british pound confused. Like that last time I paid 44 bloody # for shipping on my airoh helmet.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:31 AM   #71
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Okay got the tornado g1 ordered. Came out cheaper than I expected. Final result was 240.52 euro plus 33.13 euro shipping. So that's about $337.32 delivered.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 AM   #72
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Ha! 5 minutes after I complete my tornado fax order to schneider, I get a reply from CAMS F1 regarding my email of May 28th about the LC420001 cam. They didn't answer my valve spring question at all
Old 06-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #73
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Got my G1 camshaft in the mail today
Old 06-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #74
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Some G1 measurements.

Ex lobe largest diameter is 1.356". Minimum is 1.043".
In lobe largest diameter is 1.327". Minimum is 1.043".

With the shape, it looks like I can subtract the two to get cam lift. So Ex is 0.313" and In is 0.284". Weird huh?

From another thread, the rocker arm ratio is 1.17? Is that the same for both Exhaust and Intake?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #75
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Some G1 measurements.

Ex lobe largest diameter is 1.356". Minimum is 1.043".
In lobe largest diameter is 1.327". Minimum is 1.043".

With the shape, it looks like I can subtract the two to get cam lift. So Ex is 0.313" and In is 0.284". Weird huh?

From another thread, the rocker arm ratio is 1.17? Is that the same for both Exhaust and Intake?
Minimum diameter measurements may not be accurate using that method. The opening and closing ramp portions of the cam may, and probably are in that "half circle" your using as a representation of the base circle.

A more accurate method is to measure the distance from the cam heal center to the needle bearing journal... it will probably be in the vacinity of .117".
Multiply that times two and add the total to the bearing journal diameter... that will be a more true representation of the base circle diameter as it eliminates any possibility of inadvertently measuring ramps.

Using this this method, the stock cam from an '03 640 SM measures .290" of gross lift.

By my measurements, measuring from rocker shaft center to roller and lash adjuster arc center, the rocker ratio is closer to 1.41:1.

Creep

creeper screwed with this post 06-20-2005 at 06:08 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote