Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #91
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
Well, it looks like rejetting is the task of the day. I rode the day before putting the G1 in to get a good feel for the jetting. It was pretty much perfect.

After the G1 it was quite rich in the mid range, it ran erratic. The low end and top end ran close to before. I raised the needle one clip (4th), and it became worse, so I lowered the needle one clip (2nd) and it runs smoothly at all ranges.

That's where I stand now. The low end seems approx the same, the mid range right now is a slight improvement from before. The top end feels a bit lean, most likely due to my having to lower the needle to clean up the mid.

I think I should just run a 2.5 clip position and go from there. 3rd (normal for me) is too rich, and 2nd leaves the top a bit lean.

Edited.. okay I tried 2.7, it was stable but too fat past 1/4 throttle. Didn't track too well beyond that. I went to 2.5 and it is stable and tracking good up till about 1/2 throttle and then it goes a bit fat and looses crispness.

With this, I'm starting to feel some extra power towards the end of the gears.

potatoho screwed with this post 06-25-2005 at 04:21 PM
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:25 PM   #92
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

More jetting adjustment for the G1 today. What's it called when you change something just to rule it out, but you are 99% sure it won't work? Well I did that, with going to a 175 main jet (from my normal 170). Umm, wow. We're cooking with gas now!

So.. my jetting correction in going from the stock 249 cam to a Tornado G1 has been: leaner one needle size, needle height .5 lower, main two sizes higher. Keep in mind that my carb is larger and way more finicky due to that.

I do have some larger main jets. I just have to try them now. I really expected the 175 to sputter and die, but instead it just gobbled it up.

Okay, put in a 180. I was able to kill it at WOT, misfire etc. Other than that it definitely had more power than the 175 from 1/2 throttle up. Now I have to make a 177.5 with some solder.

Oh yeah, to answer the question from another thread.. will the KBC VR-X snowmobile visor flip up at 90mph? Yes, yes it will.

potatoho screwed with this post 06-26-2005 at 02:12 PM
Old 06-26-2005, 10:54 PM   #93
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

I spent some time riding with the G1 today once I corrected the jetting for the cam. This is really quite nice. It's not all that I had hoped for, but it definitely works as advertised. At first I was disappointed. Couldn't find the power. But after a bit of adjustment, it started to deliver and it's good.

As near as I can tell, it's basically the same power delivery as before, just seems to have more. It's somewhat of a subtle change, not explosive. I guess that's the idea, as it doesn't feel as if anything went away. For example, I'm very picky about my 2k-3k cruising throttle response, and it's better than ever.

The best way I can describe it is this.. when I'm in 4th and 5th, it is as if I have the acceleration of being in 3rd and 4th. So it's the same, but some extra zip. This makes the street rideability fantastic. I find myself shifting much later than before as the power doesn't top out like it used to. It's really fun coming out of turns and rolling on the power.

I'm using an ids2 quiet core with 10 discs. That may be the limiting factor to my top end. I don't see all that much improvement at highway speeds. I do notice an improvement but it's not to the scale of the the mid range change.

So far my mileage is 41mpg, which is the same as my prior two tankfulls on my old cam. I used to have poor mileage (37mpg) but evidently that was due to a slightly tight exhaust valve lash, which once corrected has given me 41mpg ever since.

Starting is not as effortless as before. My starter does get stuck about 25% of the time and I have to hit it again with the manual decomp. It used to get stuck every once in awhile before too, so it may be that my battery is not 100%. Don't know why they can't spend the time to drill a friggen auto-decomp hole on a $300 cam. You know what though, I think it actually runs quieter now, so maybe ditching the clacker is a good thing.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #94
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Question

I am told by Staintune that the distance between the exhaust flanges changed around the end of 2002 (I guessed with the Hi-Flo head) enough to make their big bore headers no longer fit.

Just wondering if you have Hi and Low-Flo heads around and if you could measure the change. I was wondering if SS headers could be modified (heated and realigned) to fit the Hi-Flo head, and if that would be a good idea.

No rush...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #95
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I am told by Staintune that the distance between the exhaust flanges changed around the end of 2002 (I guessed with the Hi-Flo head) enough to make their big bore headers no longer fit.

Just wondering if you have Hi and Low-Flo heads around and if you could measure the change. I was wondering if SS headers could be modified (heated and realigned) to fit the Hi-Flo head, and if that would be a good idea.

No rush...
I've found out recently that statement might be wrong... one of those fellas down under mounted them to a High Flow, I believe.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote