Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzx1000r View Post
What do the dealers know that BMW does not? No where does it mention 20w50 for a recommended oil.
Next time you are a a dealer pick up a bottle of BMW 20W50 "Recommended for all BMW motorcycles" is on the back. I have bitched about that since 1999 when they introduced the F650. Communication is very important. This is a clear example of inconstant messaging. BMW needs to fix the labels!
"Recommended for all BMW motorcycles after 1970" is on 5W40 synthetic, another oil that is NOT recommended for any pre twin spark F650.
I am not trying to start something with you, just showing where one might get the idea you can use 20W50.
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
Kenadian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Habit

Been doing it for years. HABIT
Kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinVA View Post
Next time you are a a dealer pick up a bottle of BMW 20W50 "Recommended for all BMW motorcycles" is on the back. I have bitched about that since 1999 when they introduced the F650. Communication is very important. This is a clear example of inconstant messaging. BMW needs to fix the labels!
"Recommended for all BMW motorcycles after 1970" is on 5W40 synthetic, another oil that is NOT recommended for any pre twin spark F650.
I am not trying to start something with you, just showing where one might get the idea you can use 20W50.
Agreed I can see that it could be confusing. But I will say I do not look on the oil bottle for information concerning a particular motorcycle, I would look in the manufacturers service manual and a motorcycle shop that reads the bottle before the manual would be a concern for me.
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #19
MotoRyder
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Oil Recommendation From Seattle-Area BMW Dealer

A little off topic but still relevant. I have been using synthetic oil in my Ducati Monster M750 and was wondering if synthetic oils were recommended for my R1200GS engine. So I emailed the Seattle-Area BMW dealer, Ride West BMW, to ask for their recommendation:

Interested to know if synthetic oil can be used in a 2007 BMW R1200GS, and if so, what is recommended ??
What engine oil is sold there at the shop for 2007 BMW R1200GS motorcycles ??

Their response:
BMW only recommends using synthetic engine oil after ample engine break-in, usually about 12k miles or so.
The synthetic oil BMW sells in the US is a 15W-50 by Spectro, the standard 10W-40 is for (Pacific) Northwest weather and 20W-50 grade for hot weather.

=>> BTW -- the BMW Oil Recommendation = Castrol Actevo GP 4T 20W-50.

Therefore never argue with idiots, they just take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
MotoRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #20
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,576
I'd certainly understand the concerns about 10W-40 in ambient temps of >85-90 degrees F. I don't know what the engineers would say, but my oldskool head would want something heavier, particularly under sustained/heavy load. BUT, dealers making that swap without any concrete instruction or reason other than their own bias is annoying at best.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #21
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,346
In fairness and to balance one of the comments above, my so cal (orange ) BMW dealer was keen to the fact that 10w-40 was in fact the recommended oil for the DOHC GS. They confirmed this when I called to make an appt. for the 600mi. service, but did go on to say that the 20w-50 would be ok as well. I eventually did the first oil change myself and used the recommended BMW 10w-40 for the first go around. I'll keep with that oil until either BMW or the motor tell me to do otherwise.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #22
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
Use the viscosity of oil recommended in the owner's manual and service manual. End of story.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #23
portablejohn
Sociophobe

Oddometer: 926
Here is a post from another board about the "correct weight" oil to use in and engine:

"The proper weight oil for any engine is the THINNEST oil that will still maintain acceptable HOT oil pressure. Anything thicker than that is doing the engine a disservice, because thinner oil flows better on cold start-up, reducing wear, and most wear occurs on start-up. Thinner oil will also help the engine make more power, because thicker oil uses up more power for pumping and churning through it. And thinner oil will also help cool vital engine components better than thicker oil, because the thinner oil flows more gallons per minute, thus carrying away more heat. "

At one point I had a very good article about it, that I will see if I can find again. It does sound like to determine the proper weight oil, an oil pressure gauge must be installed.

John
portablejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
CATGS
Bourbon consumer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Use the viscosity of oil recommended in the owner's manual and service manual. End of story.
No kidding... I never knew there were so many tribologist that hang out on a moto website.
CATGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #25
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,881
They need to get rid of the dealer stock of 20w50 since the change. So BMW recomended or not, your getting it.
Seems like most automobile makers are also switching to thinner grades. Tighter tolerences Im told.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 12:38 PM
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #26
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadian
I switched to 10w-40 at this service and the oil consumption went to almost nothing. I don't know if it is a coincidence
When using 10-40 in my 2010 I have about zero oil consumption. When using the 20-50 some is used but not quite enough to add until 3000 mile mark.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #27
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Thanks for all the responses, I guess I have to make another appt for an oil change to switch back to 10w40. I guess I will wait till the 3000 mark then change unless anyone thinks this would be really bad for the engine. I got 2 more months of resonable temp riding but after that it gets cold and I don't want to ride if I have that heavy oil in it. what a pain in the A!
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #28
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATGS View Post
No kidding... I never knew there were so many tribologist that hang out on a moto website.
I had to look that up. Thanks for the vocabulary builder!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #29
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 683
Is a trioilbologist someone who studies multi-viscocity oils??

I dont think there is enough difference between weights to make a big difference unless you are riding out of Minot ND in January and ending up in Death Valley in July. I have never heard of anyone having a mechanical breakdown because of oil viscocity. It may change the way an engine sounds or acts at first start up but I do not move fast at cold start up either till I get warmed up. Nascar and other motorsports let them warm up a few laps to get the oil and lube warmed up befere going full blast.

I bought a 2011 GSA yesterday and the "sales manager" told me that BMW just "relaxed" their requirements and any oil is fine. You don't have to stick with their brand or weight. I have a friend with a 2009 RT and it got a bit low on a trip and he bought a qt of penzoil to top it off and it hasn't blown up yet. I wont put penzoil in my lawn mower.
I will let them put in what they want with BMW on the bottle at the 600 mile service then it is going to get Rotella T 15-40 whether it likes it or not. He said that would be fine. Maybe a synthetic later on or maybe not.

BTW, that is a mile munching machine
Gillus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #30
Skinny Moose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
If there`s not enough difference in various oil viscosities and their different additive packages to matter then why do they make different viscosities to begin with, and why do manufactures specify different viscosities for different temperature ranges. Surely they have better things to do then mess around with superfluous BS. Since BMW has "relaxed" the requirements and "any oil is fine" maybe you can run 3 in 1 oil in it, it ought to work just fine.
Skinny Moose is offline   Reply With Quote