Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #31
franzzzzzzz
shut up and dance

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
I will let them put in what they want with BMW on the bottle at the 600 mile service then it is going to get Rotella T 15-40 whether it likes it or not. He said that would be fine. Maybe a synthetic later on or maybe not.

BTW, that is a mile munching machine
97 1100GS (60,000km) was on Mobil syn 10-40 for 2500 km, then Rotella T 15-40 for last 3000km =better compression,stay clean longer, less expensive,can get anywhere, almost or similar jaso diesel oil.
My observation for 97 Gs,maybe different for 1200gs.

I call my 97 : The Chronogyr, Time Machine.

franzzzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #32
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
In fairness and to balance one of the comments above, my so cal (orange ) BMW dealer was keen to the fact that 10w-40 was in fact the recommended oil for the DOHC GS. They confirmed this when I called to make an appt. for the 600mi. service, but did go on to say that the 20w-50 would be ok as well. I eventually did the first oil change myself and used the recommended BMW 10w-40 for the first go around. I'll keep with that oil until either BMW or the motor tell me to do otherwise.
Thanks, I bought my GS there and told them I wanted to take a quart of oil with me and they gave me 20w-50...but that was the sales guy. Did you get this info from Joe in service? Just turned 600 miles, so need to do the oil service this week.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #33
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,859
Isnt the move, from a lot of OEM motor companies like Toyota and so on, to lighter oils ? 5W20 for instance or 0W20 Mercedes or BMW auto ? #8 Suntan lotion for the new Fiat 500 ?
Not sure what that means just keeping this going is all

BTW, I'm been running and my dealer installs, BMW 10W50 for whatever it's worth. Made by Spectro. Dino. Never heard of a span like that in a dino. 10W50. I plan to run a UOA from Blackstone on it to see what it really is after drain.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #34
bboshart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I have owned four bikes with different boxer engines, R90/6, R100, R1150 and now the DOHC R1200. All my previous boxers took 20W50 so it is a mind thing to feel comfortable using 10W40. That being said none of my previous bikes ran as cool as the R1200, I'm impressed. In one season of riding, I can count the times on one hand that the temperature gauge showed more bars than normal. Those times were always in prolonged stop and go traffic or waits at border crossings and even then just a bar or two, well within the acceptable limits. (yeah I know I live in Canada but we get hot days too, and I've ridden to Arizona, NM, Texas and Florida )

I have heard it said many times and find it reasonable, that most engine wear happens at start up. I would think 10W40 gives better protection on a cold starting engine than 20W50. For that reason and how well the R1200 cools, I am comfortable using 10W40 despite my old mindset that you put 20W50 in boxer engines.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #35
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Thanks, I bought my GS there and told them I wanted to take a quart of oil with me and they gave me 20w-50...but that was the sales guy. Did you get this info from Joe in service? Just turned 600 miles, so need to do the oil service this week.
that is correct, i believe it was the gent you mention but i can't be sure. what's important me thinks is that the Service Dept. was keen to the fact that 10w-40 was indeed the new recommended weight for the newer DOHC motors.

see ya,
Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #36
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejohn View Post
Here is a post from another board about the "correct weight" oil to use in and engine:

"The proper weight oil for any engine is the THINNEST oil that will still maintain acceptable HOT oil pressure. Anything thicker than that is doing the engine a disservice, because thinner oil flows better on cold start-up, reducing wear, and most wear occurs on start-up. Thinner oil will also help the engine make more power, because thicker oil uses up more power for pumping and churning through it. And thinner oil will also help cool vital engine components better than thicker oil, because the thinner oil flows more gallons per minute, thus carrying away more heat. "
Great post, and good logic. I suspect that OE engineers have other factors in mind, but this is the best practical explanation I've seen. Of course, dealer backstock of 20W-50 is probably an issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATGS View Post
No kidding... I never knew there were so many tribologist that hang out on a moto website.
I had to look it up too! I had assumed it meant something along the lines of voodoo divination of proper oil choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Moose View Post
If there`s not enough difference in various oil viscosities and their different additive packages to matter then why do they make different viscosities to begin with, and why do manufactures specify different viscosities for different temperature ranges. Surely they have better things to do then mess around with superfluous BS. Since BMW has "relaxed" the requirements and "any oil is fine" maybe you can run 3 in 1 oil in it, it ought to work just fine.
Yeah, "relaxing the requirements" sounds like horse pucky to me. If you eff it up doing something on your own that's way off the reservation, I guaran-damn-tee they won't be too relaxed...
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #37
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Surprising results

Wow just called 3 different dealers 2 in PA and one in NY and asked for oil change price and what oil they use and all of them said they would put 20w50 in it. WTF! I asked all of them if they would do 10w40 cuz it says it in the manual and 2 were reluctant and one said no problem but asked if I was riding in the winter months. Now I'm gonna call BMW direct and see what answer I get.
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #38
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
Now I'm gonna call BMW direct and see what answer I get.
That's an answer I'm looking forward to.

If they say "it doesn't matter," you might ask 'em why they bother to put a recommendation in the manual....
Old 08-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #39
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Wow just called 3 different dealers 2 in PA and one in NY and asked for oil change price and what oil they use and all of them said they would put 20w50 in it. WTF! I asked all of them if they would do 10w40 cuz it says it in the manual and 2 were reluctant and one said no problem but asked if I was riding in the winter months. Now I'm gonna call BMW direct and see what answer I get.
Good luck getting an answer from the clerk on the phone....pat response is "talk to your dealer". If they say that, don't let them off the hook and demand a response from the engineering department based on the conflict between 3 dealers and the manual.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #40
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
here's the answer!

Called bmw direct, got a lady(very nice) and explained the manual and dealer difference. She put me on hold to look into it and got back on the line with the manual info. and was not sure why the dealers would use 20w50 either. She said she would put in a request to have the manual changed to include that and that I should probably trust the dealers advice?? So I guess I really didn't get an answer because they refer customers to the dealers for technical information. She was nice but not too helpful.
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #41
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Called bmw direct, got a lady(very nice) and explained the manual and dealer difference. She put me on hold to look into it and got back on the line with the manual info. and was not sure why the dealers would use 20w50 either. She said she would put in a request to have the manual changed to include that and that I should probably trust the dealers advice?? So I guess I really didn't get an answer because they refer customers to the dealers for technical information. She was nice but not too helpful.
Thanks for calling...typical BMW. Kind of scary that she is going to request the manual be changed based on what a customer told her on the phone......
Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #42
Skinny Moose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Thanks for calling...typical BMW. Kind of scary that she is going to request the manual be changed based on what a customer told her on the phone......
No shit
Skinny Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #43
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Dear BMW: Right hand-meet the left hand. Now, both of you reach around and see if you can find your ass.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #44
MIKE R
UKGSER

Oddometer: 4
Whilst touring Italy in the summer on my twin cam, I needed to top up the oil. I was convinced I needed 10-40 but another GSA twin cam rider insisted that 20-50 was needed.

I rang my dealer, who I have great respect for, and spoke to the service manager. He stated that BMW changed their recommendations in Dec 2010 from 10-40 to 20-50 and that it depended when my bike was last serviced as to what was in.

When I had it serviced in my return, they put in 2050s

Mike
MIKE R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #45
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
I like 20W50 and I'm sticking to it. But for kicks, I will try Motul 15W50 next time. With the latter, I may get a bit more noise on start-up especially from the chain. I live in the tropics so I see no reason to run anything lower than 15W. Anything below that is really for cold weather start-up which I never have in my neck of the woods.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote