User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
KTM 530 EXC log thread

I am starting this thread as to be a resource for anyone as well as a place for me to post all my crap on this bike in a single thread as an event log of sorts. Many people have them and I enjoy seeing peoples' projects evolve over time and what issues (if any) that arise and how they handled them. So this one is mine.

---------------------------------

8/18/11:
Purchased brand new 2011 KTM 530 EXC from Quality Time Powersports KTM/Husaberg in Pelham, AL. Great bunch of guys and they will get my business again in the future! I got the bike home, unloaded from the trailer, grabbed my old haggard riding gear and hit the trails. Immediately I was in shock of just how bad KTM corked this beast up. Hell it felt a hair slower than my well-sorted out 2005 WR250F was! That's how bad they cork these bikes up in terms of power. But I knew this and its just a matter of time before the bike will be breathing a sigh of relief. I ended the day with a nice sunset and cold beer.

Hours on bike: .8
Miles: 14

Thoughts:
This bike certainly has the potential to be flipping amazing!! There is a reason why they are chosen and raved about. BUT, it's crazy restricted and slow stock. The stock gearing is way too high for trail or woods use. You'll either burn up the clutch or stall the bike if you try and ride this bike like it was intneded with the stock gearing, let alone the smog crap still on it. Razor sharp handling. Maybe a little too sharp. I've never considered a steering damper on my dirt bikes but this one will certainly get it to try and take some of the 'edge' off the razor. I was able to make the bike boil over as expected with all the emissions and restriction crap. Not sure if I'll need a fan kit but I'll play that by ear as I desmog and de-restrict the bike. If after all that and I still get boil over then I'll go with a fan kit. Either way I will buy a coolant overflow catch can bottle so that in the event it does boil over, I won't be losing my coolant out on the trail. All in all I'm stoked of my brand new purchase and know this bike will be tits once sorted out. I slept good :).

8/19/11:
Woke up early in the morning and wanted to take a DS ride with my new bike. It went great, except for those massive spiders probably still sleeping that seemed to criss-cross all along the trails. Too bad they got a rude awakening and sometimes I did too with a few hitch-hikers. Later in the day I decided I might as well pop the bikes cherry in the must-do mods. Since I don't have a JD jet kit or Blais Racing smog blockoff kit on order, the only thing I can really do is to perform a bafflectomy. Below is a nicely detailed HD How-To video. Obviously it's the same for many KTM's, not just 530's.

Hours on bike: 1.4
Miles: 28

Thoughts:
The bike is ALIVE!! Well sorta. Doing the exhaust mod the bike felt like giving me a high five I'm sure. It cranks, starts and runs so much better. Of course a rejet is in order but right out of the box after modding you'll know this bike thanks you for allowing it to breathe a little easier. Still not there but MUCH more improved throttle response and power delivery. Hey, it's starting to slowly feel like how a 500-something cc bike should!
Next up is rejet and desmog. Stay tuned...

haknslash screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 07:24 PM
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 cont'd:

Rode quickly to the store tonight to pick up some smokes. I need to quit but that's for another story. Anyways bike for sure needs a rejet after hak'ing the exhaust today but man did it wake the bike up!! It now has no problem toting the front wheel in gears 1 & 2 where as when 100% stock I would of had to rev + dump the clutch to lift the front over logs. Gearing is also a huge factor there. But as far as pep goes, this simple exhaust mod feels like it gave the motor a pretty good kick in the gonads. Sounds great too. Has a little pop on decel but that's to be expected.

I have noticed something strange going on with my header pipe. When I was washing my bike for the first time after picking it up yesterday I noticed this kind of weird effect, or glaze if you will, on a section of the header pipe. I shrugged it off as nothing, and it still is really. But after having the motor and pipe go thru a few heat cycles now it seems this effect or glaze on the finish of the pipe is becoming more noticeable. I'm not sure if anyone else has this 'issue' on their bike when new. It's not something I'm overly concerned with as I intend to buy a nice CF heat shield in the future to keep from burning my pants (already done that) but I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this on their bike? It doesn't look near as noticeable when the pipe is cold but when it wamrs up you can see it much more. It's not from my riding pants as it doesn't really have a build-up or different texture than the rest of the pipes finish. It's just kinda 'there' for a lack of a better word.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To cap off day 2....

While out checking out my exhaust, ok I'll admit I can't stay out of the garage drooling over my new toy , but I decided to take some artsy fartsy shots of some of the details on the Katoom.

The brakes on this bike are amazing. Very responsive and confidence inspiring.

Stock the info on the cluster only shows hours or miles and MPH. I was reading in my manual and if I read right you can 'unlock' more features like lap timers, trip/enduro timer, etc. Pretty cool. The buttons are also easy to press with gloves on.

I LOVE the buttery smooth hydraulic clutch and shorty lever!

This headlight globe bulb is a joke. I usually do HID retrofits on my bikes and cars but I'm going LED I think this time.

I like bikes that come with at least some sort of brush/hand protection. Granted these aren't going to save levers but they have served some of their purpose already. They'll eventually be swapped out with proper brush guards but I like the detail KTM does on them.

Brembo front brake and MC are again amazing! Tons of feedback while on the trail.

The bars on the 2011 530 fit me nicely. I can't remember the bend name of them but they place me in a very comfortable position both sitting and standing. KTM supplies them with a nice touch on the bar pad.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,764
Those same marks are on my Berg header pipe also, and return if you polish it up nice and clean.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8/20/11:

Things I did to the bike today:
I changed the engine oil and made a How-To during the process. It's a simple task but hell maybe someone out there learns better thur videos than reading their owners manual. I'll do one for the gear oil change as well as its much less involved. The video is being uploaded on YT now and I'll post it when its done.

Notable mentions:
My clutch seems to drag a little. When trying to start the bike in gear it will want to move. Bike will not start in gear as its too much of a strain on cranking I guess. If I'm not sitting on the bike and its in gear and I hit the starter I have to hold on or it will lurch forward while trying to start. Not sure what's going on there. It's a hydraulic setup so there's no adjustment other than the lever position I guess. I'm hoping that its just the oil being thick (I don't know what they put in there from the factory or dealership) and maybe some metal shavings from break-in. Also I've noticed its hard or near impossible to find nuetral even after the bike has warmed up. I'm going to change the gear oil tomorrow so hopefully that will make things easier. Otherwise I might have to take it into the shop to see what they think of it.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
8/20/11:Notable mentions:
My clutch seems to drag a little. When trying to start the bike in gear it will want to move. Bike will not start in gear as its too much of a strain on cranking I guess. If I'm not sitting on the bike and its in gear and I hit the starter I have to hold on or it will lurch forward while trying to start. Not sure what's going on there. It's a hydraulic setup so there's no adjustment other than the lever position I guess. I'm hoping that its just the oil being thick (I don't know what they put in there from the factory or dealership) and maybe some metal shavings from break-in. Also I've noticed its hard or near impossible to find nuetral even after the bike has warmed up. I'm going to change the gear oil tomorrow so hopefully that will make things easier. Otherwise I might have to take it into the shop to see what they think of it.

That's normal for a cold engine, the clutch drag will get a lot better once the engine warms up. When cold it's best to put the bike in neutral to start, a lot less stress on the starter. Once warm some bikes will start in gear with the clutch in and some won't, it depends on how much the torque limiter is slipping. My 530 wouldn't start in gear until I tightened up the torque limiter, (more info on the limiter here: CLICK HERE) it's worked great ever since. I wouldn't mess with the limiter unless you end up having E-start issues in neutral. I run Mobile 1 15-50W for high performance engines in both the engine and trans side...shifts great

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
That's normal for a cold engine, the clutch drag will get a lot better once the engine warms up. When cold it's best to put the bike in neutral to start, a lot less stress on the starter. Once warm some bikes will start in gear with the clutch in and some won't, it depends on how much the torque limiter is slipping. My 530 wouldn't start in gear until I tightened up the torque limiter, (more info on the limiter here: CLICK HERE) it's worked great ever since. I wouldn't mess with the limiter unless you end up having E-start issues in neutral. I run Mobile 1 15-50W for high performance engines in both the engine and trans side...shifts great

Hodakaguy
Thanks for the input man. Yea I started thinking this may just be a trait of this bike. All of my bikes have had some drag to some extent. I'll have to check how it operates once out on the trail. I'm currently running Motorex 10-50w 4T oil in the engine. The trans will get it tomorrow. I'll report back after riding it a bit.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is a HD video on how to change the engine oil on this bike..

Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8/21/11:

hours: 2.4
miles: 47

Notable mentions:
After being suggested the clutch drag is normal when motor/oil is cold I wanted to see how it did afte rthe bike wamred up. I was able to find nuetral while the motor was running as well as crank the bike in gear! So turns out everyone was right and glad they chimed in. Lovin' the Katoom!!

thoughts:
Woke up and wanted to RIDE!!!

I rode up to Coalmont (The Bowl) in Shelby Co. It is confirmed. it is shut down. They have escavated (sp?) a crapload out of the entrance area. I couldn't even make it to "the bowl" area as they've added a huge road closed sign as well as a freakin guard shack!! Sucks!! I should of stopped to take a pic.

Left there and headed towards the local trails by the house. This is the first time I got to ride the bike in the trails after doing the exhaust mod. With the bike still running lean I didn't get on it too much but the bike is MUCH better in the trails now!! got a crossed-up log in your way? No problemo. Brap...up and over. Even on stock crappy gearing to boot! . Can't wait to desmog, reject and gear down. It will be a beast.

So here's some pics of todays excursion and shake down of the bike so far...

This is 1 of 3 campsites on the local trails.

It was hot as hell already at 9am. But at least the talls tree cover cuts down on the heat plus makes for a nice scenic ride...

This is near a fence line that has a gate. Beyond the gate is some realy nice looking hills for a long ways. It's private property but so inviting. Maybe one day.

We need a good soaking to help pack down the trails and cut down on the dust and loose pebble rock. I was sliding all over the place while the big 530 fought for traction everywhere.

Scattered throughout the local trails are these rectangular cuts in the ground. I have no idea how they got there as its tick in some areas for even a bobcat or small backhoe could get out there. So I'm not sure what these are. I do know there is a small family graveyard not far from here. I can't help but wonder if they relocated the graves at some time in history lol...

You can see the rectangular cut thing to the right of my bike. It is over 7 ft long and about 2.5 ft wide...

Remember those spiders I was talking about earlier? Well I gave them a rude awakening again this morning. Maybe one day they will get the hint. I was hauling butt around one of the loops and saw this huge thick web strung across the trail. In the middle was something massive but I was hauling too much a$$ to stop or slow down in time. I stuck my hand out in an attempt to swat this big beast out of the way. I hit it but I lost when it went. I had no idea if I killed it or it was on my back lol. So after riding I get home, pull in the garage, bend down to shut off the petcock and see something catch my eye on my left fork up near the triple tree. BAM!! I see this mofo!!

I call him KTM SPIDA since he is orange (I thought to myself, sweet graphics man!) and obviously loved my bike :). Unfortunately he died a painful death not long after these pics were taken. RIP KTM Spida.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8/21/11:

hours: 2.7
miles: 58

Took the bike out again today. It was running like crap. REALLY need to get that jet kit. But regardless, I pushed on and had fun on the local trails.

haknslash screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 08:21 PM
Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8/25/11:

Thoughts for the day:
It has begun. Sat down on the 'puter and ordered up some parts. Coming this way are:

-JD jet kit
-Merge Racing fuel screw
-Blais Racing smog blockoff kit
-Doubletake folding mirror with 3" RAM clamp

Parts grabbing from local KTM dealer:
-Renthal 13T front sprocket
-EE barkbusters
Might buy a 48T rear sprocket if it's still too tall

I also need to buy a leak jet, I'm thinking a 70 but not sure. Wondering if my local KTM dealer has them in stock.

A good day! :)

haknslash screwed with this post 08-25-2011 at 01:21 PM
Old 08-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,279
Send the Blais kit back and save yourself that $ IMO. I just modified an M6 machine head screw with a dremel cut off wheel and put on a crush washer....for a total of about $1.50.... The tube that runs from the back of the carb to the gearbox I left on. Simple.

I really want to see what LED headlight options there are... the bike REALLY needs more light....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
hooknup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Sweet bike you will love it. I have an 09 DESmogged and jetted. I also live in Alabama from bham originally but live in mobile now. Anyway I have not overheated once since desmogg and rejet and runs great starts easy. I also like the Pelham ktm dealer.

09 530 exc - great bike SOLD

1969 Honda Ct-70 (Late night yard basher)
hooknup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright guys I think I may of eff'd up my oil change I did at 1.8 hours. Reading on ktmtalk I wasn't aware its not ideal to run full synthetic right off the bad due to letting things seal. I'm wondering if having full synthetic in it now for only 1hour worth of running since the change was "bad" for the motor. Should I even be worried or have an area to keep an eye on? Would it be a bad idea to change it from synthetic to regular dinosaur? Or should I not even worry, just change it again with synthetic in a couple of hours, forget about it and ride on?

haknslash screwed with this post 08-26-2011 at 02:03 PM
Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I wouldn't sweat it. The manufacturer specifies Motorex 10W50 which is a full synthetic. The hours you have on it now are a done deal for break in anyhow. Just change the oil more frequently, and if you have not been in the trans yet do that you will be amazed at the the filings coming out...

I would worry more about breaking it in lean and hot, get that jet kit, and make sure you are getting on it, and going up and down thru the gears loading and unloading to seat the rings and stretch the rod. The JD jet kit comes with and accelerator pump spacer; you might not need the leak jet, mine runs great as per their instructions.

Watch your oil level too, mine uses a bit, but that might have more to do with my crankcase vent routing than ring loss.
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote