Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
^^^thanks for chiming in.

Hmmm...interesting read here http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

If what is said in that article is true then I should be fine going back to regular dino oil for the duration of the break-in or like mentioned above, don't sweat it and what's done is already done lol.

Thoughts from anyone else on the matter?

I don't think I've done any major damage, if any (but what do I know...I design fire suppression...not engines lol), to the bike only running it with 1 hour of full synth in it. Bike only has 59 miles on it. Don't worry it's not being ridden anymore until jet kit and other parts arrive. Just sitting in my garage making it smell good in there
Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #17
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
8/25/11:

Thoughts for the day:
It has begun. Sat down on the 'puter and ordered up some parts. Coming this way are:

-JD jet kit
-Merge Racing fuel screw
-Blais Racing smog blockoff kit
-Doubletake folding mirror with 3" RAM clamp

Parts grabbing from local KTM dealer:
-Renthal 13T front sprocket
-EE barkbusters
Might buy a 48T rear sprocket if it's still too tall

I also need to buy a leak jet, I'm thinking a 70 but not sure. Wondering if my local KTM dealer has them in stock.

A good day! :)
If you thought the transformation after the pipe mod was good, wait 'til you stick that JD jet kit in and pull the emissions crap off. The bike will literally beg you to go faster.

Speaking of the Blais kit, you can actually order the block off screw+washer straight from KTM, it costs something like $2. I kept the crank vent line going to the carb in place because I didn't notice any difference with it off.

I don't do a ton of tight trail work, but I found that just going down to a 14T front sprocket on my 450 did wonders for the luggability on tougher/slower sections.

I have some double take mirrors for both my 450 and my beemer F800 and they are fantastic. I went with the 2" arms and those are more than long enough. My $0.02.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #18
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8/29/11:

Today has been an awesome Monday. Got to leave work early. I couldn't think of anything better to do than to head to the KTM shop and pick up a 14T Renthal front sprocket, orange KTM/Enduro Engineering/Moose brushguards (they are all the same) and deflectors. Got home and found one of the packages I'm expecting has already arrived.

LIGHTNING FAST SHIPPING from Doubletake Mirrors!! Opened up the package and I think these will work out great. Install was a breeze, simply remove stock mirror post and install RAM mount. Clamp on the mirror, adjust and ride. Can't get much easier than that.

I'll give a real review of it once my other parts come in and I take the bike out on the trails and road to see how it handles vibes and my personal style of riding. I only bought one mirror as that's the minimum I need to be legal in my state or personally need on my bike.

For now here is some functional eye candy:

Contents from USP package..

I went with the 3" RAM arm which seems to be the most popular. This allows me to protect the mirror a bit more to the center of the bike...

Setting up the position is a breeze and you have endless adjustability on angle and FOV (field of view). sitting in the garage it seems to allow me enough FOV to see past my shoulder pretty well. I'll report more on that once I do a review after being on the road. Installed on the bike and positioned for my personal preferences...

Here are just a few of the many ways you can position the mirror out of harms way. I personally like the idea of using the stock KTM bar pad as an area to fold the mirror on, leaving mirror side down to protect it from the brush.:

Tucked in between bar and instrument display...

Tucked behind bar (still retains full lock to lock without hitting anyhting)...

My favorite position. On top of bar pad. Low overall profile plus added protection from vibes and mirror scratches...

Heading back out to the garage to install the other goodies!

haknslash screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 02:02 PM
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ugh, nothing like trying to install brushguard clamps and locking inserts made for Renthal Twinwall bars on what I now know is a Neken. Looks like I'm going to be doing some swapping at the KTM dealer for the right set. You would of thought they would of made sure I was getting the right set, then again it was stupid of me to go in assuming such without doing my own research prior to.

haknslash screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 08:28 PM
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8/30/11:

Got the bark busters swapped out. The KTM shop didn't have the same 'kit' in that was branded Moose but did have a set of bars (same as Moose / EE) but were badged KTM Powerparts. Hey, at least it adds a little more factory bling right . Thankfully they didn't have the kit as they had to make me a kit by snagging a set of Cycra U-clamp mounts which are much better built and allow for more clearance around the cables and bars than the Moose / EE clamps. Plus this setup was cheaper in the end so I got money back, which is always good!

Great bunch of guys at Quality Time KTM / Husaberg

Eye candy:

Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
dualsportman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
What about your headlight??

You was talking about led
dualsportman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsportman View Post
What about your headlight??

You was talking about led
Yes but not going to address the headlight right away. Just trying to get the bike semi-sorted to be suited for woods/trail use.

As of today all of my parts have arrived for the rejet/desmog/14T . Tearing into the bike tomorrow to finally start uncorking this thing. Will probably make an abbreviated video for chits n giggles.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #23
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Out of boredom I was wondering what JD recommendations would be for the 530's FCR-MX 39 vs what I had on the WR's FCR-MX 37.

2011 KTM 530 EXC per JD recommendations:

Main Jet: #175
Pilot Jet: #42 (since I'm removing smog crap)
Leak Jet: stock ?
Fuel screw (turns out): 1 1/8
Needle model/Clip position: Red needle / 5th position from top
AP O-ring mod
AP diaphragm spacer mod
de-restricted stock exhaust
State: Alabama
Altitude: sea level to 1000ft
Temp: fall/winter= 75F/30F spring/summer= 75F/100+F

My setup that worked on my 05 WR250F:

YZ ignition map (gray wire mod)
Main Jet: #185
Pilot Jet: #42
Leak Jet: #40
Fuel screw (turns out): 1 3/4
Needle model/Clip position: Blue/5th position from top
Airbox lid (on or off): cut holes in airbox from side panel cutouts
Pipe: LEXX MXe with quiet core insert/spark arrestor
State: Alabama
Altitude where you ride: sea level to 1000ft
Temp: fall/winter= 75F/30F spring/summer= 75F/100+F
Other mods: No-Toil air filter, YZ throttle stop, AP O-ring mod
Old 09-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Woohoo desmog COMPLETE! High-def How-To video will be uploaded on youtube tonight. RonnieMX already has created 3 seperate videos going over this process along with a catch can mod but I've made a little more abbreviated version just to keep it all in one video if possible. I also added a few different things I did. Thanks to RonnieMX for what he's posted on YT so far thougt! I gave him props and credit in the beginning of my vid.

Heading back in the garage to wrap up the jetting....
Old 09-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK guys jet kit is installed. 175 MJ, red needle 5th position from top, #42 PJ, desmogged and de-restricted exhaust. Bike will not turn over. Battery it about dead now from trying. I can't even get it to kick start which normally was no issue. I've double checked everything, petcok hose is connected and in the ON position. Smeeling a bunch of fuel so I'm sure the bike is flooded now. Tried cranking with choke on and off and no luck. Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #26
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
Pull the plug and try to turn over......
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #27
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also I noticed there was some gas on the right side of my swingarm. I traced it back the best I could and it looks like its coming from the area where the smog canister was. The gas seems to drip or come from somewhere just above where the muffler slides into the mid pipe as there was gas on the underside of the exhaust pipe there. Where could this be coming from???
Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #28
john pfeiffer
KTM Submarine Pilot

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
Also I noticed there was some gas on the right side of my swingarm. I traced it back the best I could and it looks like its coming from the area where the smog canister was. The gas seems to drip or come from somewhere just above where the muffler slides into the mid pipe as there was gas on the underside of the exhaust pipe there. Where could this be coming from???
If you still have the stock gas catch can underneath the bike (in back of the skidplate), remove the drain plug from it. It'll just keep filling up with fuel and preventing the bike from starting. I just went ahead and pulled the catch can and left the carb vent/overfill lines hang.
Sigillum Militum Χρisti
john pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #29
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, after speaking with JD @ JDjetting we found an issue with my install. I reinstalled the diaphragm for the AP unspide down. Put the bike all back together and it still will not crank either by electric start (battery is dead now) or by kick start (my leg hates me right now). I'm also wondering why it appears like fuel is coming out of the muffler where it connects to the mid pipe!! I think I'm done wrenching on tis MF'r today. I'm about at my wits end with it after working on it all day.

Evetything JD and I went on over the phone was installed correctly, minus the AP diapragm. Fuel screw is 1 1/8 turns out.

Catch can drain plug has been removed before reinstalling.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #30
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pulled my muffler and sure enough there is gas in the pipe. WTF? How would gas push that far thru the pipe? Super flooded condition?