Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #31
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Pulled spark plug and could see it was moist and smelled of fuel. I put the spark plug cap on the spark plug and grounded it to the motor to see if I have spark. Confirmed spark.

That much fuel flooded it washed down the cylinder into the crankcase. Pulled the oil filler cap and I can smell fuel but not too strong. I will change the oil ASAP but not until I can get the bike to crank.

Battery is completely done now. My leg is shaking from trying to kick start it. One time I was able to kick it enough that I saw the headlight try to come on which means almost fired over. But my body is dust from kicking this beast for hours.
Not sure what to do now. Pretty bummed in what should of been a simple desmog and rejet has turned into a freakin nightmare. I'm ready to load up my shotgun and take it out on the Katoom
Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #32
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,896
Is it possible the float is stuck? I would start by rotating the carb to remove to bowl to see if everything is where it was when you started. How much gas do you figure you had in the tank and how much is in there now? Have you only opened the fuel tap to try to run the bike, or have you been leaving it open the whole time. Mine is pretty much always open, but in your case, you may have a case full of gas soon. Rejetting should be a relatively simple, but let's have a look at the video.

If you have to kick that much, there is something wrong. If it didn't go in the first couple, I would stop, think, and work backwards.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #33
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Is it possible the float is stuck? I would start by rotating the carb to remove to bowl to see if everything is where it was when you started. How much gas do you figure you had in the tank and how much is in there now? Have you only opened the fuel tap to try to run the bike, or have you been leaving it open the whole time. Mine is pretty much always open, but in your case, you may have a case full of gas soon. Rejetting should be a relatively simple, but let's have a look at the video.
I never pulled the float bowl off the carb. I did the reject all thru the float bowl drain bolt hole. I am going to pull the float bowl cover off tomrrow morning (too tired to deal with the bike right now) and make sure the float isn't stuck. Might as well clean all the jets while I'm in there. Only way I guess the float couldn't of got stuck was with handling the carb from side to side? Otherwise the bike and carb were fine before. Yes the jetting is straight forward. I had all sorts of trouble on my WR's FCR37 as the guy I bought it from let it sit up with fuel all in it. Needless to say I became very aqunited with that carb but finally got it sorted out. I'm not sure what could be wrong with my KTM other than like you said a stuck float. I checked the basics: carb is getting fuel obviously, bike has spark, battery is toast, it will not kick over.

I always make it a habit of turning off the petcock. I never leave it on other than when riding. Even when stopping and taking breaks on the trail I always turn off my petcock lol. OCD

I went ahead and changed the oil to be on the safe side.

I just went out and tried e-starting the bike. Battery is definitely done. Mght as well try to start it with D batteries heh. I want to work on the bike tonight but I'm dust and just pissed at it and myself right now. Going to sleep on it and start fresh tomorrow morning.

haknslash screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 08:36 PM
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #34
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just went out and tried to kickstart the bike. It has been sitting for over 2 hours now. Never touched the throttle and held my bark buster. Fuel on, choke on or off and bike would not fire. I could smell fuel pretty bad so wouldn't that mean a stuck float?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #35
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
Just went out and tried to kickstart the bike. It has been sitting for over 2 hours now. Never touched the throttle and held my bark buster. Fuel on, choke on or off and bike would not fire. I could smell fuel pretty bad so wouldn't that mean a stuck float?
Give the bowl a little rap with the handle of a screw driver or something. If the float is stuck, a small thunk will often get it right. If you didn't remove the bowl, not much could have happened.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #36
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pulled carb entirely off the bike this morning. Float wasn't stuck or could of became unstuck after removing carb off bike. Cleaned pilot and MJ. Pilot jet did appear to be a little clogged on the 'bottom' orifices even though it was brand new. Needle did not look warped or bent. Put carb back together.

I posted on my local forum to see if anyone could swing by today to help me get the bike on the rear wheel to get any remaining fuel out of the motor. It's 2T light now but I couldn't do it myself without dropping the bike ....or pulling my back out lol.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #37
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got the bike all back together. Added 500ml of Spectro-4 10w/40 motorcycle 4stroke oil I had lying around. Battery is still dead but the bike kicked on the first try without choke needed!!! YAY!!

Idle was a little high and I was about to set it when I remembered I forgot to plug in whatever that eletrical connector is on the carb. About that time I started smelling oil and then I saw burning oil smoke coming from the front of the bike. Immediately shut it off and saw that oil appeared to be dripping out of my header where it goes into the cylinder head. NOW WHAT??!?!?!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #38
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Put the bike back together again after insepcting the oil coming from the header. Plugged back in the connector for the carb. Bike instantly fires up, even if barely having to press the e-button!! Yea!!

Started it up and watched the header real close. A little burning oil smoke came out for a second and then seemed to taper off. Took it down the street and man this thing pulls like a raped ape now!! I can't wait to regear. Pull it back in the garage to check the oil/header issue and didn't see anymore smoke nor oil coming out. I did see a little bit of fuel had dripped onto my swingarm from the exhaust but I'm thinking that it just remaining fuel that was in the motor now getting pushed out. I'm wondering if the oil coming out of the exhaust was just some blow-by since the gas washed down the cylinder walls? You guys think its OK now that its not showing any oil coming out?
Old 09-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #39
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

9/3/11:

Hours: 2.9
Miles: 59

It has been a crazy one!! After two oil changes (engine side), one tranny oil change, and a metric TON OFSTRESS the bike is now finally happy. It runs like a scalded dawg!! Hell it will even pull wheelies in 3rd, probably 4th if I tried hard enough on the tall stock gearing. Crazyiness but in an awesome way. No more smoke from header either. My guess is that it was just some residual fuel/carbon sludge that was coming out of the header/muffler. It isn't doing it anymore after 2 oil changes. Bike will be perfect with a gear change which is next :)

Thanks again to those that helped on here or in private messages.

Hak

haknslash screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 05:47 PM
Old 09-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #40
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How to desmog your KTM 450/530 EXC in 3 minutes

Old 09-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #41
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

9/4/11:
Little update on the Doubletake mirror:
Since mounting the Doubletake mirror, and today being the first day out with it, I do have one issue with it. It seems that when layed all the way horizontal that the clamp needs to be very tight to keep the mirror from wanting to 'swing' around the RAM ball. I'm not sure if this is a trait with this mirror or if mine is just a little different than most. It's certainly not a deal-breaker but it is something I will mention in my video review of it as well as show you its pro's and con's. More on the mirror soon...

-----------------------

It was sloppy and slippery as snot from the tropical storm rain. I went out as soon as it slowed up a little to ride the bike in the woods after desmogging and rejetting. Completely different bike. Couldn't crack the throttle upon the trails with these Six Days tires (they suck) as the bike would just sling sideways if I looked at the throttle wrong. Still taking it easy on the break-in so no beating on it yet.

haknslash screwed with this post 09-04-2011 at 05:16 PM
Old 09-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #42
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

9/9/11:

hours: 3.9
miles: 80

Today was an awesome day. Weather was in the 70's and the ground has dried up a little after Tropical Storm Lee rolled through. Perfect traction conditions and minimal dust to deal with. I have been on Bing Maps scouting trails via Bird's Eye. They have shutdown access to one of my favorite places to tool around and explore deep woods riding. If you get caught out there the fines can be steep. Luckily I'm on a bike that can get me into the thick stuff pretty quick should I need to ;). So the main access to this location is closed down and watched by guard shacks and CB radios from mining truckers and wildlife rangers. Soooo good ole Bing Maps and Bird's Eye showed me a way into my riding area via some ATV trails and powerline trails. Today was the first day with decent weather that I got to really see what this bike was about without being restricted by all the stock crap. Holy hell this bike is amazing!! Even on stock gearing I was having a blast, granted having to slip the clutch in technical stuff, but it was a freakin' blast none the less!! The bike pulls strong. Real strong! Got a tree in your way? No problem. Bluuurrp.... up and over . Got a huge mud puddle surpise you around the trail head? No problem. Bluuurppp..shift....bllurrrp .....skeet right on thru it ! This bike and I are finally starting to gel. I can't wait to get the gearing swapped out but funds are a little tright this week so it'll have to wait.

BTW I mentioned earlier in this thread that the frontend didn't give me alot of confidence as it seemed to deflect off rocks way too easy. I added 5 clicks to stiffen the front and made mental notes to sit further up on the seat and grip hard on the shroud "vent grips" with my thighs and the bike gives back plenty of feedback and feels more planted!! It's a huge step in the right direction from what it was before. Once I get spring rates for my weight and an x-bushing to help with my inseam, I think this thing will be a beast for any condition the trail can throw at it. It'll be my fault if the bike can't make it thru it :)

PS, even trees lay down on the trail and bow to the mighty 530

haknslash screwed with this post 09-09-2011 at 01:10 PM
Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #43
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hours: 5.5
miles: 121

Wished I could of broke away to ride early this morning as temps were low 70's with a nice breeze, but watching the kiddo took over. Finally got a chance to break away for a nice mid-late afternoon ride. I wanted to go explore some of Alabama's remote powerline areas so that's the type of riding I did today....

Ended the day playing on these lil hillclimbs by the house...

A great day for riding the 530!!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #44
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Haven't had much time to ride unfortunately but I did get around to installing the 14T front sprocket. Big improvement over stock but obvviously still too high. At least now you can use 1st gear to crawl without having to slip the clutch near as much as with the 15T.

Temps were nice as Fall season is slowly starting to set in. A few pics along the ride (not bad for my Droid X cell phone)....

Old 10-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #45
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Nice bike congrats!!! On the topic of the Six Days tires, I have to disagree. I have found them to be great in sand and in rocky/clay conditions (maybe they arent the best in deep mud or solid rock). And they are DOT approved and at 100MPH multiple times on my 530, no knob chunking. They are Metzlers after all. Wouldn't want to go that fast on a lesser tire.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote