ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #61
4Lo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 28
Quick question regarding the desmogging;
I bought a 530 that was already uncorked and desmogged, except for the crankcase/valve cover breather tube was still plumbed into the carb.
Is there any reason why you can't just re-route the vent tube down to the swing arm like the desmog "kit" does, and just plug the carb fitting with a rubber vacuum plug? Or does the plug on the carb need to be a bolt-style plug?
4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #62
whozaberg
Gnarly Adventurer
 
whozaberg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 168
Leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Lo View Post
Quick question regarding the desmogging;
I bought a 530 that was already uncorked and desmogged, except for the crankcase/valve cover breather tube was still plumbed into the carb.
Is there any reason why you can't just re-route the vent tube down to the swing arm like the desmog "kit" does, and just plug the carb fitting with a rubber vacuum plug? Or does the plug on the carb need to be a bolt-style plug?
Personally I would leave the crankcase breather. You may find you get too much crankcase pressure and start blowing oil past the piston rings and any oil seals. At 9500 rpm engines can build alot of internal pressure. The routing to the inlet of the carb acts like a vacuum to greatly lower crankcase pressure.

The valve cover has baffles so you won't get oil or "dirty" air passed back into the engine.

Hope this helps.
whozaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #63
4Lo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by whozaberg View Post
Personally I would leave the crankcase breather. You may find you get too much crankcase pressure and start blowing oil past the piston rings and any oil seals. At 9500 rpm engines can build alot of internal pressure. The routing to the inlet of the carb acts like a vacuum to greatly lower crankcase pressure.

The valve cover has baffles so you won't get oil or "dirty" air passed back into the engine.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. You make a good point and I see the logic behind it.
So why do the desmog kits have you reroute it from the carb?
The vents from the crankcase and valve cover would still lead to an open, unrestricted tube dumping pressure at the swing arm.
Has anyone actually tested a difference in crankcase pressure without the vent running to the carb?
If there is no performance gain or benefit from it, I'll just leave it as suggested.
4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #64
Enecosse
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Sandpit
Oddometer: 13
I think the desmog refers to this http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/image/114703367 which is downstream of the carb. The EU spec bikes don't have this, but we do have the bigger crank breather system shown in the picture (white T piece) which i think you are refering to. I have thought of pulling the carb pipe off and plugging (upstream side) but I can't really think of a good enough reason.
Enecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #65
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy
 
ekms377's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Keller,Texas
Oddometer: 497
Just FYI.....I have a Dirt Trick CCT. It was installed with a HT oil cooler. It still ticked. I removed the HT and now it is quiet again. Not sure why or for how long but I am going to pay attention to it. It may have been the spring and the positioning to the banjo bolt.
__________________
Eric
'00 RC51
'13 KTM 250XC
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #66
4Lo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enecosse View Post
I think the desmog refers to this http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/image/114703367 which is downstream of the carb. The EU spec bikes don't have this, but we do have the bigger crank breather system shown in the picture (white T piece) which i think you are refering to. I have thought of pulling the carb pipe off and plugging (upstream side) but I can't really think of a good enough reason.
I was actually refering to this one, which plugs both carb and manifold fittings:
It re-routes the crank and valve cover vents away from the carb intake and dumps the pressure down the tube at the swing arm instead.
http://blaisracingservices.com/KTM/K.../prod_692.html
4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #67
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
haknslash's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 333
Not really a vid about my KTM but here is a ride some bamarides mambers tagged along with me exploring some local stuff mid-October. Vid is filmed from my buddies Husky TE610

__________________
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
2011 KTM 530 log report http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717763
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #68
Enecosse
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Sandpit
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Lo View Post
I was actually refering to this one, which plugs both carb and manifold fittings:
It re-routes the crank and valve cover vents away from the carb intake and dumps the pressure down the tube at the swing arm instead.
http://blaisracingservices.com/KTM/K.../prod_692.html
Yeah, I have seen that, but is it 40 bucks worth of benefit. I don't know the answer to that, maybe someone else does, I am not really familiar with the desmog issues you have in N America, I thought it was to do with box below the swinging arm.
If you have the time read Neduro's thread '530 EXC More Better', although some of the mods seem OTT.
Enecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #69
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
haknslash's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 333
The desmog is to make the bike run/start better. It's on there due to emission regulations. Take it off the bike. You don't "have" to buy the Blais kit like I did. You can use a cutdown bolt from your local harware store and save yourself the money (Blais shipping is std so its expensive considering the small purchase price of the kit). Basically you're making the bike breathe like the off-road only xc-w or whatever its called. I've never had a dirt bike that had to have all the emissions/smog stuff on it. Chokes the bike down.
__________________
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
2011 KTM 530 log report http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717763

haknslash screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 03:59 PM
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #70
4Lo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
The desmog is to make the bike run/start better. It's on there due to emission regulations. Take it off the bike. You don't "have" to buy the Blais kit like I did. You can use a cutdown bolt from your local harware store and save yourself the money (Blais shipping is std so its expensive considering the small purchase price of the kit). Basically you're making the bike breathe like the off-road only xc-w or whatever its called. I've never had a dirt bike that had to have all the emissions/smog stuff on it. Chokes the bike down.
What about just putting a vacuum plug over the fitting on the carb in place of the tube, and re-routing the tube down to the swing arm?
I already have tubing, and I already have intake vacuum plugs. Any reason why you need a bolt-style pug?
Like this...but then add a tube to the white T going down to the swing arm to keep the venting open.


4Lo screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 07:36 AM
4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #71
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
haknslash's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 333
Hours: 10.9
Mile: 236

Today got a good ride in doing some exploring along the interstate after eyeing some aerial maps. I found some marked single track as well but it was rather short and dumped me out by a neighborhood somewhere.

Here's some pics along the ride with my cell phone...

I lvoe this time of year for all the colors, fallen leaves and nice temps...



Somewhere in Saginaw...








Came across a few creek crossings along an old gas line trail...





See I wasn't kidding about the trail running along the interstate...



One side dumps be out on an overlook in Alabaster...



After exploring those trails I hopped onto another trail system I spotted from aerial reconnaissance :).



Which led me to doing a little bit of illegal riding apparently as I stumbled across these signs skirting the trail...





Which allowed me to sneak up on the opposition. Target acquired :)...

__________________
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
2011 KTM 530 log report http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717763

haknslash screwed with this post 11-13-2011 at 01:21 PM
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #72
haknslash OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
haknslash's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 333
So my left grip has been slipping like crap lately. Strange being a new bike and all that it would slip this soon.

This is the reason:

Notice anything missing?





That's right. A sorry example of a lack in generous amounts of grip glue. Thanks KTM!

So I decided if I was going to remove the grips for a re-glue I might as well swap in some more comfortable grips like these Progrip EVO 793's. They feature dual compound including gel, ergonomic mold, reduces vibration and have extra grip pads for fingers. They will be a tight fit on the Nekken bar but I think I can manage to squeeze them on. I'll report back on how they perform on the trail if I can break away from the family this weekend.

...And of course they had to match the bike :)

__________________
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
2011 KTM 530 log report http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717763
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #73
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer
 
kevinsinvegas's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Sin City
Oddometer: 43
great thread

I have a 2010 530 champions ed.. This bike is awesome! Looking for a larger gas tank, haven't found what I want yet. Don't seem to get much mpg, but have a ton of fun.

Anyone have experience with with a Larger gas tank? Would like to get close to a 200mile range

Cheers!
__________________
Kevin
ama member
xr400 - Sold

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #74
GAS GUY
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsinvegas View Post
I have a 2010 530 champions ed.. This bike is awesome! Looking for a larger gas tank, haven't found what I want yet. Don't seem to get much mpg, but have a ton of fun.

Anyone have experience with with a Larger gas tank? Would like to get close to a 200mile range

Cheers!
How many miles per tank do you get, and/or mpg ??
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #75
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer
 
kevinsinvegas's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Sin City
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
How many miles per tank do you get, and/or mpg ??
70 - 80miles with the stock tank (2.5gal).

Need to check this again.
__________________
Kevin
ama member
xr400 - Sold

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!

kevinsinvegas screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 04:27 PM Reason: more info
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014