Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #16
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragerbon View Post
I am by no means a Harley expert, but from the pics of your build and looking at the pics of a stock 883, it looks like the foot pegs have been moved forward at least 8". The bars are also look a bit shorter by about 4", with this configuration whomever is sitting on the bike would also be pulled foward the same amount, so instead of sitting to the rear of the seat, which is about 8" behind the head, they are now sitting almost on top of the head
He already said the frame is largely stock. The pegs look like they're in the standard "forward controls" position, available on stock Sportsters. Ditto for the bar position. I don't know what photo you looked at since the seat is sitting right in the stock location. Here is a forward-control Sportster for reference:

Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Not my thing but you are an artist sir.

I came up with about a hundred little "wow"s staring at that bike for a minute.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #18
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
He already said the frame is largely stock. The pegs look like they're in the standard "forward controls" position, available on stock Sportsters. Ditto for the bar position. I don't know what photo you looked at since the seat is sitting right in the stock location. Here is a forward-control Sportster for reference:

Is that an 883 ?

It really does not matter to me either way, I was just trying to be helpful also...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=991
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=994
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=995
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=999
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1005
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1011
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1013
Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,297
Quote:
Is that an 883 ?
It doesn't make any difference regarding the chassis: 883 and 1200s are identical except for the engine bore, though if you believe the air cleaner on that one, it says "1200".
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #20
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
I am by no means a Harley expert, but from the pics of your build and looking at the pics of a stock 883, it looks like the foot pegs have been moved forward at least 8". The bars are also look a bit shorter by about 4", with this configuration whomever is sitting on the bike would also be pulled foward the same amount, so instead of sitting to the rear of the seat, which is about 8" behind the head, they are now sitting almost on top of the head.

I believe the normal operating temp for that motor is 230 degrees, heat dissipation has several variables in this application, outside temp, humidity, air flow and conduction which will determine the final delta-T, but simply stated...the closer you are to the heat sorce, the less the delta-T.

I think you are going to have a really hot bike, as far as you better parts are concerned, I'll leave that up to your significant other.

It's kind of neat how you can sit behind a computer and take critical measurements to tell me all about the bike I built, but it's got to be a bit of a bummer when I can go to my garage, sit on my bike see you're wrong.

The controls are stock Harley as are the handlebars (save for the welded crossbar). Since you're not an expert you may not be aware this particular model comes with several variations.

It also might surprise you to discover this isn't the first bike I've built; here's another one with the same engine, foot controls and engine cradle:

The seat on this bike was even closer to the engine yet, and heat was never an issue. But to be fair, maybe my balls are just made out of much tougher stuff than yours.
CooperSmithingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #21
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,915
I'm a racer, don't care what it is, pushbikes, hill trolley's, cars, tractors, it's all the same to me!
So as a result, it took me the last 30 years of riding to get it out of my system, and consider other rides that suit me better now. It's funny, coz when with all my drag mates at the track, 1/2 of us say "Iron 883" when asked what streeter we'd get.
All the attributes you spoke of, instant grunt, low CofG, no need for revs to pull away in traffic, and a long-ish seating position that's good for hours. I reckon if 1/2 of us dragbike guys are looking at Hoggleys, in particular Sporties, even though they're slower in top than our rides are in 3rd, then there's a lot to be said for that.

YOUR bikes, however, both of them, are the work of a craftsman. Sometimes not having being a daily rider for years on end gives you the freedom to build the things like no-one has seen before, and both of these bikes are like that, bloody excellent! Especially the heat treated steel, really nice.

Oh yeah, I'm a drag-racer who likes scooters and Sporties, so I got no friends either, LOL!
Maybe we should start a support group.......
Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #22
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=
Oh yeah, I'm a drag-racer who likes scooters and Sporties, so I got no friends either, LOL!
Maybe we should start a support group.......[/QUOTE]

Work on a secret handshake, we'll meet every Thursday.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #23
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperSmithingCo View Post
... But to be fair, maybe my balls are just made out of much tougher stuff than yours.

Right On Man!

Thanks for keeping a sense of humor.

Your bike's are amazing.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #24
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Wow, now I'm kinda embarrassed I put in time into a reply...I didn't realize this was just a passive aggressive rouse from you. Maybe next time you should be a man and come right out with your issue? JD handled it like a man, take a lesson from him.
WOW..... Is that what you were being, perhaps next time you won't act like a man LOL !
Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #25
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Hello, my name is Joe and because I started building Harley's I have no friends.
Welcome aboard.

You need to get out and ride, all work and no play make Joe a dull boy.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #26
brontotx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
It's kind of neat how you can sit behind a computer and take critical measurements to tell me all about the bike I built, but it's got to be a bit of a bummer when I can go to my garage, sit on my bike see you're wrong.
That is an interesting comment by you given that you did exactly that (IMHO) in jdrocks' ninja beast build thread when you questioned whether his trail was sufficient/safe. I'm not trying to start a flame war... I like your bikes and you have some mad skillz - keep it up and keep posting!
brontotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #27
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontotx View Post
That is an interesting comment by you given that you did exactly that (IMHO) in jdrocks' ninja beast build thread when you questioned whether his trail was sufficient/safe. I'm not trying to start a flame war... I like your bikes and you have some mad skillz - keep it up and keep posting!

Yeah as soon as I posted that I was waiting for someone to come along and burn me for it. I'll drink my medicine.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #28
NYP797
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Hat Tip To Ya

Not to denigrate your latest effort in the least, but it struck me that it had the immediate visual simplicity of what a Buell Blast should have been. The space and air around all the components is spectacular. The exhaust system has the flowing lineage of a cartoon; just fluid perfection. The bike looks like it came out of a cookie mold. You have my highest attribution to your continuity of effort and your execution perfection. Way out Waco....would love if you could let us hear those pipes....Rave On!
nyp797, Queens, NY
2001 W650
2007 Sportster 883R
2010 Kaw ER-6n
NYP797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #29
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Luv'n it. Where can a guy get more info on the body work ? Maybe I'm just to much of a hick but never ( knowingly) seen the heat treated stuff before. Does it get cleared over or does it not rust anymore ?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #30
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,293
Those are both... just... beautiful.

Period.
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote