Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #46
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,455
Amazing person, amazing ride. Thanks. Really enjoying your writing.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #47
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Simply amazing...

I'm incredibly impressed that you manage this LDR stuff. My wife was in a car accident 4 years ago, suffering a burst T6. After two weeks in the hospital, I brought her home with some additional baggage (which is always entertaining when it comes time to fly)

Knowing (albeit second-hand) the kind of constant discomfort you must contend with, I can't help but be utterly amazed by your 50cc accomplishment.

Congrats on an amazing and inspirational ride.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #48
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,751
GISdood thank you and yes, its irritating at times (sometimes all the time) but mine was not NEAR as bad as what your wife sustained.
I wish her all the best as there's no going back to 'before' injuries like these.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #49
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,096
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #50
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

That is beautiful!!
*hug*
Love ya.

tricepilot

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #51
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,330
Shogs ... Great comeback. Great Ride report !

I was following you on your original ride. It is so great to see you have come back stronger then ever !

Glad you put a note on LDR, I would have hated to have missed this !

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress

Hog Rider screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 06:01 PM
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #52
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

I arrived very late at exwingnut's place in Antioch. He was ready for me with the garage open and he directed me where to park. I apologized for being so late and thanked him allowing me stay at his home.

I was tired but at the same time totally buzzed to finally meet Steve. Again the magic happens and it's like we've been friends for years. Steve fixed me a wonderful salad and gave me a really good piece of bread to go with it. It was unlike anything I'd ever had and it was all marvelously tasty.

He offers me a seat at the table to eat but I had been sitting for many hours that day and I have a habit of standing to eat from years of nursing and eating on the go, so we stand in the kitchen.

I remarked on the interesting interior and he told me something about the prior owner was a witness of a crime and the prep tried to burn her house down, he failed but the smoke damage required extensive repair. There were many things and pictures around that told me I could spend many days with him and have a lot in common.

After an hour or so I starting fading and he has to work in the am so we hit the hay. In the morning I realized I didn’t take any pics of anything and nab these two before he leaves.

Steve master-minded a breakfast met in Pleasant Hill to recover from me arriving too late the night before. He leaves and I do some pre-trip/daily servicing then head that way.

When I arrived, Steve was already there.

We then see this.

It none other that Nixels!!

We all gathered and placed our orders. There was a lot of sharing and Nixels had a REALLY cool invention he got patented that when placed between the pages of a wet book it would dry the pages. I'll let his tell you more about it. I thought it was ingenious.

There was so much talk I can’t tell you was said but it was a happy gathering and I was SO happy everyone made the effort to make it. I love all those guys! Even more so that I’ve each of them.

exwingnut

Mountain lion

Monkey Boy

The breakfast club

skwidd was there as well and the dear heart tried to sneak a shirt into my luggage. I caught him red handed. What a sweetheart.

Again, I’m the only one on vacation and the guys have to go to work but it seems no one really wants to leave so we stand around outside awhile and hand out for just a few more minutes.

I’ll say this, that place had the BEST bacon I have EVER tasted!!!

It was over too soon for me but I was so grateful to meet each them.

Since I was so close to The Darth Peach I tried to contact her but wasn’t able to hook up so I head toward Humboldt Bay where Summerinmaine was my next couch surfing spot.

I ride straight up 101.

This was an Enya day.

When there's a shadow, you follow the sun.
When there is love, then you look for the one.
And for the promises, there is the sky.
And for the heavens are those who can fly.

If you really want to, you can hear me say
Only if you want to will you a way.
If you really want to you can seize the day.
Only if you want to will you fly away.

When there's a journey, you follow a star.
When there's an ocean, you sail from afar.
And for the broken heart, there is the sky.
And for tomorrow are those who can fly.

http://youtu.be/4PAwN5IbroM

The ride was pretty unevetful. I stopped on the side of the road to check my messages and a GS pulled over to see if I was ok. I said I was and he started to pull away when I saw an ADV sticker. I yelled Hey are you on ADV? He stopped and stepped off his bike. He said he was but doesn’t post much.

He tells me his final drive was just replaced in San Francisco. He was on his way back to Alaska where he worked a few months a year from Argentina where he was visiting his family. WOW!

He was nice to talk with. He said he was a mechanic and as we were standing around my bike he noticed the oil leak. I thought it was precious that he almost instinctively checked the fill cap for tightness. I explained the leak was from the oil pan gasket and that oil higher up was blow by.

We both have places to be and part ways but it was a nice encounter.

Pilgrim, how you journey
On the road you chose
To find out why the winds die
And where the stories go.

All days come from one day
That much you must know,
You cannot change what's over
But only where you go.

http://youtu.be/86QykTK9rFI

Several miles up the road I was just cruising along when all the suddenly I see Redwood trees!!!

SWEET!!!!

He stopped here as well but wasn’t around.

No picture I could take would do these giants justice so I took a few as I rode along.

I was like a child again; awestruck and my soul was stirred and by the time I was out of them I also had a sore neck.

Approaching the bay. I was intrigued by the cloud back hovering over the mountains.

I find his place with difficulty and I also meet his daughter and S.O.

That right there is one handsome devil.

They take me out to eat in town. I’ve treated to a grass fed beef hamburger. It really did taste better than I expected. I didn’t know there was that much difference.

The waitress was a hoot!

The night is young was we all go to the town center where Jim tells me all about the towns history. He points out buildings one at a time and each had a colorful story to tell and Jim was the one to tell it.

He said a town law mandates that all bars must be on that side of the square.

It was a beautiful night and Jim was a joy to listen to. We then all head back to his home where we sit up and talk a bit then all go to sleep

Shoganai screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 02:52 PM
Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #53
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

I woke up very early with a chill and made a mental note to buy a long sleeve shirt within the next two days. No one else was up so I didn't take a shower so as not to wake anyone up.

I gathered my things quietly and jotted a thank you note before slipping into the fog. I do my daily pre-trip, top off the oil, pack up and set my sails to tack north.

As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin man
I have chalked up many a mile
Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks
And I learned much from both of their styles

As I was traveling 101 I saw a sign that read "Old 101" so I turned around and took the side road. I've learned that any road name that starts with "old" is bound to be worth riding. I'd put behind me a lot of high speed miles and was feeling the need to slow down and explore.

This looked VERY promising!!

I could hear the fog dripping off the heavy leaves and the traffic on the “new” 101 down below. There were so many different fragrances from wet, old grass to the regenerating collective that only deep, old forgotten woods hold close to their bark. I had a little time to reflect on how far I had journeyed to be in that place at that time.

I wondered how many twists and turns of my life had lead me here and what lesson did it want me to learn.

Oh, the power to be strong
And the wisdom to be wise
All these things will come to you in time
On this journey that you're making
There'll be answers that you'll seek
And it's you who'll climb the mountain
It's you who'll reach the peak

Son of Man, look to the sky
Lift your spirit, set it free
Some day you'll walk tall with pride
Son of Man, a man in time you'll be

I reluctantly re-join the “new” 101 but knew I would always remember the feeling of that road.

I stumble on The Avenue of Giants take the detour. I haven’t been there since I was 12 and with my parents.

Went out walkin' through the wood the other day
And the world was a carpet laid before me
The buds were bursting and the air smelled sweet and strange
It seemed about a hundred years ago

As I start down the road I’m overwhelmed with tears. Thankful tears for the gift of an adventurous spirit my parents instilled in me. Tears because I wished Steve could be at my side right then to share that with me. Tears of joy for having lived long enough to be here again.

I stop to walk into the woods so I can touch the trees and ferns and linger awhile.
Before leaving I pick up two redwood sticks to take home with me; one for me and one for my parents.

I sigh, smile and stuff my hands in my gloves. It was restorative and I was readily to move forward, both spiritually and physically.

Climbing up on Solsbury Hill
I could see the city light

Wind was blowing, time stood still
Eagle flew out of the night

He was something to observe
Came in close I heard a voice

Standing stretching every nerve
I had to listen had no choice

I did not believe the information
Just had to trust imagination
My heart going boom-boom-boom
Son, he said, grab your things I've come to take you home

http://youtu.be/eMwn_hnoS5Y

Shoganai screwed with this post 09-08-2011 at 05:11 AM
Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #54
MountainLion
Drawn by Boyfriend

Oddometer: 39,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post

It was over too soon for me but I was so grateful to meet each them.
just sossya knowz, she asked me to copy my avatar

I am SOOOO stealing this pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine View Post
Mocking nitwits IS an intelligent contribution.

MountainLion screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 12:35 AM
MountainLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #55
blackhorserider
---

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
I could hear the fog dripping off the heavy leaves and the traffic on the “new” 101 down below. There were so many different fragrances from wet, old grass to the regenerating collective that only deep, old forgotten woods hold close to their bark. I had a little time to reflect on how far I had journeyed to be in that place at that time.

I wondered how many twists and turns of my life had lead me here and what lesson did it want me to learn.

Nice.
blackhorserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #56
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
You lucked out....any time I take a road called "OLD...." it turns into a mess of pot holes and moguls!
Darn near knock the filling out your teeth.

That's beautiful country up North, I don't get up there near as often as I'd like, but your pics bring it to me.
Thanks

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #57
Voyager1300
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Love it!

Great story and I love the Pics.
V
Voyager1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #58
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,304
Thumb Double Tuff

WOW!

Any ride preparation that starts with, "insert catheter" is too hard core for me.
I'm enjoying the RR, but you're tougher than I.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #59
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

Thank you.

Let me tell ya, one-handed, sterile technique on a fat chick using a mirror ain't easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
WOW!

Any ride preparation that starts with, "insert catheter" is too hard core for me.
I'm enjoying the RR, but you're tougher than I.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #60
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,230
Quote:
Thank you.

Let me tell ya, one-handed, sterile technique on a fat chick using a mirror ain't easy.

Your words, they usually paint such pretty pictures.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote