User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
creator8 OP
Team Hollywood

Oddometer: 135
Los Angeles Dealers for Service

I'm just about to go in for my overdue first service. I'm in Hollywood and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a dealer who really gives a crap about these bikes and knows whats up.

I bought my bike from Delamo but their size kind of puts me off. My bro bought his from Thousand Oaks and its a smaller dealer and the mechanic he spoke to when he picked his bike up seemed to know his stuff on the 950s. He even recommended against a valve adjustment at 600 miles since he felt the bikes are so understressed and they need a couple of thousand miles before its worth getting into it w/ them. Said to just give the bike an oil change and a once over before 1k miles and then do the valves at 2-3k miles.

I'm right between these two dealers and also have Berts, Valencia and Eric's fairly close.

I also use Rick Gero at Vance & Hines in Sunland for all of my other bikes (including KTM dirt bikes which he also rides) and he is a master but has no experience w/ the 950s though I think w/ service manual he'd soon get his head around it.

Any recommendations.
creator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
I took mine to Malcom Smith's in Riverside for my 1st service. They work on the KTM team bikes. Seemed to do a good job on mine.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by creator8
I'm just about to go in for my overdue first service. I'm in Hollywood and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a dealer who really gives a crap about these bikes and knows whats up.

I bought my bike from Delamo but their size kind of puts me off. My bro bought his from Thousand Oaks and its a smaller dealer and the mechanic he spoke to when he picked his bike up seemed to know his stuff on the 950s. He even recommended against a valve adjustment at 600 miles since he felt the bikes are so understressed and they need a couple of thousand miles before its worth getting into it w/ them. Said to just give the bike an oil change and a once over before 1k miles and then do the valves at 2-3k miles.

I'm right between these two dealers and also have Berts, Valencia and Eric's fairly close.

I also use Rick Gero at Vance & Hines in Sunland for all of my other bikes (including KTM dirt bikes which he also rides) and he is a master but has no experience w/ the 950s though I think w/ service manual he'd soon get his head around it.

Any recommendations.
I can *assure* you that valve clearances need checking at 600miles: I checked mine just to see where they were before taking it in (and to learn what shims were in there for future reference) and 7 of 8 were off with three tight. On average, it may be true that clearances are okay at 600mi, but if your bike is non-average, then what?

I've no rec for a shop. Frankly, I'm not impressed by what I've seen so far with KTM dealers' interest in and expertise on 950's in the OC area.....

mully
Old 03-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Michael Larkin is the service manager at Del Amo and I have gotten to know hime very well, he is honest. The head mechanic is Frank he is the only one that works on the LC8, he and Michael have gone to the school. Mine has had lots of things done to it including pulling the engine and I have had no problems with there work. They have gone to bat for me with KTM and I wouldn't recommend them if I didn't think they deserved it. Call Michael up and talk to him about the bike and what you expect from them.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
creator8 OP
Team Hollywood

Oddometer: 135
Thanks for the recommendation. Frank actually did the predelivery run through w/ me and he seemed like a good guy. I guess it makes sense for me to get it in w/ them.

About how much did you guys spend on your 600 mile service??

Thanks
creator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
I think mine was about $325 and I had them change the coolant to Engine Ice at the time.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
sleipnir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
update - LA mechanic recommendation

This is a great subject and would be good to get some updated info on it - I would love a recommendation for a great mechanic for my 2010 990 adv R in the LA area (west side ideal but will travel :-).

There must be a great mechanic in the area that knows all there is to know about these bikes. Ideally I want to know my mechanic personally and be able to have a discussion with him about what needs doing and why. Just finished the labarstowvegas rally and the big girl is due for some TLC, she deserves the best after that performance - dayum these bikes are awesome

Anyone?
sleipnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
former Eric's mechanic, Bret is at the La Cresenta suspension shop.

I can't remember the name!
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
motocityktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Three Brothers in Costa Mesa.
motocityktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
former eric's mechanic, bret is at the la cresenta suspension shop.

ESP, tell George I sent ya, he'll charge ya 2wice
Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Kendrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
In the OC but:

Inside Line Moto
Orange, CA

Matt and Tim are top notch technicians. My SE has seriously never ran better.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
former Eric's mechanic, Bret is at the La Cresenta suspension shop.

Brett is meticulous BUT boy is he slow.

I hear good things about LIOR out in Corona. He quoted me around $500 for the 9K service - his shop rate is $70/hour. Plus, I believe he owns a 990 himself so you know he knows what he's doing. The only problem is that he is in the middle of nowhere.

P.M. me here - maybe we can convince him to pick our bikes up.
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post
Brett is meticulous BUT boy is he slow.

I hear good things about LIOR out in Corona. He quoted me around $500 for the 9K service - his shop rate is $70/hour. Plus, I believe he owns a 990 himself so you know he knows what he's doing. The only problem is that he is in the middle of nowhere.

P.M. me here - maybe we can convince him to pick our bikes up.
Lior is the man (www.LiorsMotoRide.com). He knows KTMs and BMWs inside out. He will pick your bike, drop it off, give you a loner, etc. He will make you happy.
He worked on my 990 couple months ago for the basic service, oil change, tires, chain, etc. Couldn't be happier. He will do the valve adjustment next month or so on my bike.
He has a new 990 Baja and a 530EXC. So he know everything about those bikes. Just call and talk to him. He'll help you out.
IF you want to go to a dealer, I believe they are all about the same, unless you have personal connections inside. Frank at Del Amo Motorsports of Long Beach worked on my bike until I finished my service plan (about 24K miles) and I had no problems.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Lior is the man (www.LiorsMotoRide.com). He knows KTMs and BMWs inside out. He will pick your bike, drop it off, give you a loner, etc. He will make you happy.
He worked on my 990 couple months ago for the basic service, oil change, tires, chain, etc. Couldn't be happier.
You spent time over at Del Amo Powersports, what are your thoughts on Fernando?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
You spent time over at Del Amo Motorsports, what are your thoughts on Fernando?
He is very good. He is one of handful Ducati Master Techs in the states. Also KTM factory trained tech. Advantage of dealers are they have all the back up from manufacturers. Technology, parts, knowledge, etc.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote