Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Agree with some of the others. It's not the Wahl, it's that it's cordless. I have a Wahl corded clipper that I use twice a week to shave my head, and it's by far the best I've had. Plus you can always get new blades for ten bucks, and it's good as new.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #17
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
A comb and good pair of scissors. Been the trimmer route and it doesn't come close to a good scissor cut. Just like machining it's easier to cut again than to put it back.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #18
keyzard
Falls over a lot....

Oddometer: 116
Panasonic...

A vote for the Panasonic....I use it one a week to do my beard and head on the #2 setting......It's cordless, so I do it in the shower (its wet/dry so cleanup is a breeze).

My first one lasted for 5 years, and I just replaced it with another. I think it was my own fault as I never oiled the blades....I'm treating this one nicer.......
Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyzard View Post
A vote for the Panasonic....I use it one a week to do my beard and head on the #2 setting......It's cordless, so I do it in the shower (its wet/dry so cleanup is a breeze).

My first one lasted for 5 years, and I just replaced it with another. I think it was my own fault as I never oiled the blades....I'm treating this one nicer.......
Looks like this might win, Amazon decided to price em at 24.99 so shipping ads a ton (25 = free shipping). The Panasonic is Newegg which I like more anyways.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
It's not cordless and you don't get 55 stupid plastic accessories with it, but I've been using an Oster 76 for a few years and loving it. The big deal for me is that the cheap plastic guards would always come loose and fall off, but the metal guard/blades stay solid. Way better than the cheap crap. Probably cheaper over time because it's well made, but even if it died today I'd buy it again because it is nicer to use.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
It's not cordless and you don't get 55 stupid plastic accessories with it, but I've been using an Oster 76 for a few years and loving it. The big deal for me is that the cheap plastic guards would always come loose and fall off, but the metal guard/blades stay solid. Way better than the cheap crap. Probably cheaper over time because it's well made, but even if it died today I'd buy it again because it is nicer to use.
I bought one of these a few years ago. The best feature is that the cutter heads interchange, and you can get everything from a #00000 that cuts ultra close to cutters that can be used for beard trimming. I use a #1 to clip my hair and a #00000 for close trimming. If you have a pet, there are also cutter heads available for them. These have a rotary motor that lasts forever instead of a vibrator like the cheaper ones do.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

I found a USB extension cable (something you can never have too many of) for under 2 bucks on Amazon so I just ordered the lithium ion Remington. It said twice the power for thick beards and well this thing is a beast so we'll see how it goes.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
ndcent
Banned

Oddometer: 1,957
My seven year old rechargeable Norelco just bit the dust.

I bought a $12 Wahl that takes AA batteries at Big Lots.

It sucks bad.
ndcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJay View Post
My seven year old rechargeable Norelco just bit the dust.

I bought a $12 Wahl that takes AA batteries at Big Lots.

It sucks bad.
I just got the Remington MB4040 (25 bucks) and so far it's working well. I have a really thick beard and it didn't have a problem with taking off a full inch of it.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #25
EduardoMas
Spartan Overlander

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PacRat View Post
I am SICK of the $20 Wahl trimmer that I have to replace every couple of years. They get a little crappier every time. My current one leaves scalped patches if you try and use it on 1 or 2. WTF? I'm not even sure how it happens.

Can someone recommend one that is a good quality trimmer, that might last a while and be worth paying a little extra for?
PackRat,
I had the same experience.
Then: 5 years ago I saw what my barber uses, went to a commercial barber supply place and bought:

Andis T Outliner Trimmer.
http://cheaposterhairclippers.blogsp...r-trimmer.html

My tough beard is trimmed to length or down to nothing either weekly or monthly. Lesser trimmers grind to a halt, so it takes a long time to moe down.
The blades are lasting well, the body is diecast, the lights in the washroom dim when I use it. It looks like it was designed in the '50s, when men were men and ... well you get the idea.

I don't often shave smooth, but when I do, I prefer Panasonic.
After hours or research I bought a Japan Only Panasonic model but the model escapes me as it does not get much use. I found most Panasonics are superior to the old local incumbents like Braun and Remington.

When travelling I don't shave, or I find a local barber to look like my passport picture. If impressions matter, I take the Panasonic as it has great battery life, shaves well and does a decent job of trimming the edges.

Hope this helps,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,554
I also got tired of cheap trimmers and few years ago bought this one..
This thing is AWESOME.
Highly recommended.!

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-76076-01...r+++Classic+76
Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
I also got tired of cheap trimmers and few years ago bought this one..
This thing is AWESOME.
Highly recommended.!

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-76076-01...r+++Classic+76
Oh, a real motor clipper! You can get it in Camo too! What will they make in camo next?

Nice deal on it too - did you buy the comb set or a single blade set for the trim length you prefer?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #28
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Oh, a real motor clipper! You can get it in Camo too! What will they make in camo next?

Nice deal on it too - did you buy the comb set or a single blade set for the trim length you prefer?
It comes in several flavors. Mine is a black PowerLine. I have a selection of blades, a #00000 for close trim, #1 for my hair, and a #2 for the beard.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #29
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post

mine came with one blade, just like the one in Amazon, but sold the blade and got a 00000 & 0000 which I'm still using.
have the same machine in black with a longer cable for my dog, those things are unbreakable!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
mine came with one blade, just like the one in Amazon, but sold the blade and got a 00000 & 0000 which I'm still using.
have the same machine in black with a longer cable for my dog, those things are unbreakable!
The Osters are a bit pricey, but every time I cut my hair, I'm saving $15. It's more than paid for itself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: