User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Drover OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
1983 Tempter 650

Hi i recently purchased 2 1983 Suzuki Tempters one with a blown motor and one that has been sitting since 89. Changed the oil/plugs and checked the carb bowls (spotless) on the one that has been sitting and it runs great but i know its missing a bit when its idling. I rode the bike around for 15 km and checked the plugs and they looked very white. I'm thinking there is a problem with the carb? Not sure what else could cause this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,004
Don't know squat about this model, but are the plugs you are using the correct heat range, are the float bowls set at the proper level, and is the timing set correctly? Other than that, and using a little Seafoam or Techron in the gas, I got nothing.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 548
Check for air leakage through the rubber intake manifolds (spray with WD40 or starter fluid; engine RPM should not change).
Check that it has a good/working air filter.
Check that the two removable machine screws (for carb synching) are in place and not leaking.
Check that the vacuum line for the petcock is not leaking.
Given all that, you probably will need to disassemble/clean the carbs; you will probably have gunked-up jets/passages/emulsion tubes not allowing proper fuel flow.

Will need to re-set idle mixture for both carbs and re-sync after cleaning.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Drover OP
Adventurer

Check for air leakage through the rubber intake manifolds (spray with WD40 or starter fluid; engine RPM should not change). - done
Check that it has a good/working air filter. - done
Check that the two removable machine screws (for carb synching) are in place and not leaking. - done
Check that the vacuum line for the petcock is not leaking. Wasn't there replaced it and bike is still missing
Given all that, you probably will need to disassemble/clean the carbs; you will probably have gunked up jets/passages/emulsion tubes not allowing proper fuel flow. Carbs are spotless,

Only thing i can see is maybe syncing issue? even exhaust is blowing hotter on one side

Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,044
Drover, make sure the original foam filter is in place and oiled. These bikes run really lean and don't want more air that it can handle. They are also really cold blooded and run poorly cold, I know mind does, again probably lean again. Mine will surge at 3500-4K when cold.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
I don't know anything about the bike in question except for the fact that it might have the goofiest name ever given to a motorcycle with the possible exception of the Yamaha Enticer.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I don't know anything about the bike in question except for the fact that it might have the goofiest name ever given to a motorcycle with the possible exception of the Yamaha Enticer.

Everywhere else in the world calls it the GR650, but we got stuck with Tempter.

unknown
Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Drover OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Drover, make sure the original foam filter is in place and oiled. These bikes run really lean and don't want more air that it can handle. They are also really cold blooded and run poorly cold, I know mind does, again probably lean again. Mine will surge at 3500-4K when cold.
Never checked to see if its oiled. And i certainly have noticed that she is cold blooded, no good to try and move the bike without letting it warm up properly. Might change out the coil just for the hell of it seeing i got 2 spares on the other bike. Will report back tomorrow when i check the air filter.

It has a small leak in the cross pipe under it any chance the back pressure could do this? hmm maybe not would be missing on both sides....

BTW i was always a fan of the enticer, well until i got a big boy skidoo.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Everywhere else in the world calls it the GR650, but we got stuck with Tempter.
There's a secret cabal of marketing schlubs who just knew they'd sell 18 more bikes if they gave it a sexy (?) name. We're fools for that stuff.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 442
Might try adjusting the mixture screws. Sure sounds like it is running lean. Screw them in until they just touch, then back them out 2.5-3 turns as a starting point. Run it and adjust as needed.

They may still be capped on your bike. Go here http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...d_Tutorial.pdf for good directions for drilling them out.

How did you get it running without the vacuum line to the petcock? Running on Prime setting?

Check out thegsresources.com The GR is a very close 1st cousin to the GS series and they are very helpful folk.

A lot of great help on http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
Drover OP
Adventurer

Ran the bike on prime. Worked fine until it was miss and i could hear a poping coming from where this line was suppose to be hooked up. After a bit of research i realized what it was for and why i couldn't get gas to run out when it was in on/res position.

If i could get that one side it run a little more rich it would be great, could use the bike without worrying about burning a hole down through the pistion or doing any intenal damage.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Drover OP
Adventurer

So went to check the air filter and noticed it was completly black and when i went to clean it, it just fell apart and crumbled in my hand... So scrap that idea....then i decided to see why i didnt have good back brakes, took it all apart and full of rust and brake pads completely gone...Scrap that idea... Moved on to see why the exhaust is so loud and come to the conclusion that all the gaskets in each of the point that it all connects are gone. Again another idea scrapped

Right now i'm looking to get air filter and the gaskets are these items readily available? any place online? Do the filters come with the metal cage or just the filter medium itself.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So went to check the air filter and noticed it was completly black and when i went to clean it, it just fell apart and crumbled in my hand... So scrap that idea....then i decided to see why i didnt have good back brakes, took it all apart and full of rust and brake pads completely gone...Scrap that idea... Moved on to see why the exhaust is so loud and come to the conclusion that all the gaskets in each of the point that it all connects are gone. Again another idea scrapped

Right now i'm looking to get air filter and the gaskets are these items readily available? any place online? Do the filters come with the metal cage or just the filter medium itself.

Drover, the air filter is one piece, pretty pricey iirc, about $69? But it'll be the last one you need. Some have reused the frame and bought sponge filtering material and glued it onto the frame. Parts are available from Babbitt's Online. I got my brake shoes there and the air filter. Connect a vacumn line from the petcock to the spare vacumn port on the left carb.

unknown
Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Let us not forget the Funduro.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
Drover OP
Adventurer

Ordered a new filter today $76 bucks from the dealer. About the same as online just a little quicker shipping.

But on a brighter note tempter is running a hell of alot better. Checked the spark plug gap and one side was almost no gap what so ever, also found that the carb boots were on the wrong sides oops lol. Not missing at all anymore and waay more responsive. Still seems to be running hot though on that 1 side, checked the mixture screws and both are around 2 3/4 turns. Which way would i go to make it run a bit richer?

Also dealer tells me there is no gaskets in the exhaust aint there suppose to be?