Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #16
Drover OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Also can anyone tell me how to open this?

Drover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,762
You've a got a the rare Suzuki locking chain. Needs a special magnetic key I believe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #18
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ordered a new filter today $76 bucks from the dealer. About the same as online just a little quicker shipping.

But on a brighter note tempter is running a hell of alot better. Checked the spark plug gap and one side was almost no gap what so ever, also found that the carb boots were on the wrong sides oops lol. Not missing at all anymore and waay more responsive. Still seems to be running hot though on that 1 side, checked the mixture screws and both are around 2 3/4 turns. Which way would i go to make it run a bit richer?

Also dealer tells me there is no gaskets in the exhaust aint there suppose to be?
Turn the screw counter clockwise to allow more gas flow.

The key to the chain looks like a bottle cap with a wire frame sticking out on the side.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #19
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 527
Did you check valve clearance? If the valves are too tight you can get a too-hot cylinder.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #20
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
Did you check valve clearance? If the valves are too tight you can get a too-hot cylinder.
That is true and it is more important to the life of the bike long term.

Assume that air injection tubes are attached and have no cracks?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #21
Drover OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Magically started to run perfect today for some reason. Hopefully stays like it too, plugs are nice brownish color no signs of white and exhaust temperature feels identical on both sides. Now all i need is a front tire and shes road worthy.

Had a little issue with it today which was a pain in the a** The key for the seat stopped working so i couldn't get the seat off. Cable decided for no reason at all just to pop out of its holder so i had to scrap all of the back fender off to get my hand up to get that dam seat off.

I've rode quite a few different type of bikes but this is one of the most comfortable that i rode.
Drover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #22
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Magically started to run perfect today for some reason. Hopefully stays like it too, plugs are nice brownish color no signs of white and exhaust temperature feels identical on both sides. Now all i need is a front tire and shes road worthy.

Had a little issue with it today which was a pain in the a** The key for the seat stopped working so i couldn't get the seat off. Cable decided for no reason at all just to pop out of its holder so i had to scrap all of the back fender off to get my hand up to get that dam seat off.

I've rode quite a few different type of bikes but this is one of the most comfortable that i rode.
A lot of the gang on thegsresources recommend the Shinko 230 as a a good tire. I just installed one on the front, but haven't had much time with it. Great prices.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #23
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Dover,
Just wondering if you are still among the few, the brave...the sometimes tempted, Tempter riders out there.

Still have the bike on the road?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #24
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
old thread reboot~ i've never even heard of that bike- hope shes still on the road and loving it-
Old 08-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #25
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandau View Post
old thread reboot~ i've never even heard of that bike- hope shes still on the road and loving it-
Well, mine is--if his isn't.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,179
Liked the Tempter when it can out but was still riding my '79 GS750 and old airhead.

The neat-o thing for me about the Tempter is the variable weight flywheel.
At (iirc) about 2500rpm oil pressure would disengage the heavy part of the round flywheel giving better response at high rpm and still offer low rpm torque.

In the mid '90s i bought an '88 Honda Hawk GT650 that had sat unstarted for many years.
On throttle response was poor and it did surge. Needing it to commute a 40 mile round trip everyday i did not want to tear into it.

There are other products but after running two tanks of fuel treated with Chevron Techron all fueling issues cleared up.
These carbed bikes of the period were jetted to a knats ass and even a .001" layer of scum will offer an impact on leanness.

Soak time is important, so short trips with setting for hours does it.

Good luck and i would not mind having one.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,762
Mine is sorta kinda running. Guess I'd better get some of that Techron. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day....geez Labor is only a week from now....

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #28
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Mine is sorta kinda running. Guess I'd better get some of that Techron. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day....geez Labor is only a week from now....
Never used SeaFoam but some folks swear by it.

Last TechRon I bought was at CostCo in a 4 unit box. IIRC, it was 1/2 the cost of AutoZone.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
i like the sea foam, i use it quite a bit. i sure hope its doing something cause its not so cheap. but whatever you put in, sea foam, techron, mystery oil... often the best thing you can do is give the bike an italian tune up.

i first discovered this with cars- alfa romeo in particular but it translates. The alfa is brought into the shop by its middle aged owner- its running poorly, not idling right, gas mileage is crap etc etc. So Luigi says: "no problem, ill take care of it for you" (please imagine proper Italian accent)

then Luigi gets his best girl, drops the top and hits the hills, heel-toe all the way, with pedal rarely leaving the floor.

next day he gives the car over and everything is running top. What do I owe you? Luigi says " no problem, discount $800, its a nice ride"

Luigi hasn't even changed a spark plug.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,741
My Tempter's almost running. The engine turned over for the first time a couple days ago. It has not fired up yet, but it is close.

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote