User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Almost There OP
Up, up, and away

Oddometer: 311
The longest first ride

Now I realize that according to ADV standards this will not be very exciting but it is my first big ride so here we go.

What was I thinking? What am I thinking? It all looks good on paper. Famous last words, hopefully not.

I have been drooling over the Kawi Versys since the first time I saw one. Good power, handling, and the looks only a mother could love. I had been planning on buying a Wee Strom eventually but every time I got close that damn Versys would pop up and shut the door. Everybody I talked to that had some miles on one of these liked them.

So the search began. Stopped by some dealerships to get some hands on time before getting serious. Looks good so I hit craigslist to see what can be found. Everything local is way overpriced so back to the dealership. Good deal but still more than I want to spend for a toy. Check eBay, nothing close. Look a little further, still nothing exciting. Then along comes……………..Kermit?

Hmmm……..definitely different but I like different. He is on eBay and half a country away. I don’t get out much so I don’t give it much thought. I put a bid in for the hell of it and am immediately outbid. Kermit doesn’t sell but is relisted with no reserve. This time I get serious. I have had good luck buying bikes on eBay and the seller seems to have their act together so I give it a shot.

Do the math, I love numbers. Cost of a local one plus the cost of some luggage less the cost of airfare, less gas, less hotel, less food, less the miles on the bike equals my max bid. Plus take some more off just because I’m cheap and that is what I’m going to bid. Won’t win but if I do I will be happy.

So I won the bike. Didn’t expect that but I’m excited. But wait………….the bike is a long, long, long, ways away and I’ve never actually ridden this bike or even another bike like it. Let the fun begin.

Ship it to me? Hell no. A road trip is in order. I can fill one hard bag with Snickers bars and the other with Coke. What could possibly go wrong over the next 2,300 miles? Considering my vast experience of riding to work on my DRZ this should be easy right? Oh…….forgot that I have a pretty tight window so I need to be back in four days.

It sucks that I have to fly through all this beautiful country that I have never seen but the reality is that if I didn’t work my ass off I couldn’t afford all my toys. Hopefully this will be a first of many adventures on this bike. Might actually have a plan for the next one other than get home before Tuesday.

The route and plan

I plan everything. I definitely need to get out more. I have a daily routine that is pretty much identical down to the minute. Not this time, I have no idea what I’m getting myself into so I figured a plan would be worthless. The start is in Dallas, TX and the end is back home in NW Oregon. Four days to cover a lot of ground. Once I pick up the bike I’m heading towards home. I guess I do have a plan, sort of.

Dallas to somewhere between Amarillo and Albuquerque the first day. Check the weather then keep going. Maybe Moab, maybe Vegas, maybe Boise, maybe Reno. I have my riding gear, gas money, food money, enough tools to do a full rebuild, and a few contact numbers just incase. I didn’t want to over pack so no tent or sleeping bag. Cheap hotels is the plan. Might bum a couch if that option comes up. Hoping for good weather but I live in Oregon so almost anything at this point is good weather.

I get on a plane in an hour. More to come. Hopefully this doesn’t turn into a lesson of what not to do.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
CaptGlenn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I have a similar plan

Good luck!! I'm flying to Chicago in the morning to ride a 09 F650GS twin back to Denver...1000Mi in no more than 2 days. I guess we'll find out if this is a good idea together, though your's is twice the gamble as mine! Again, ride safe and good luck!!
CaptGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Morinite
KLRista

Oddometer: 116
Good luck, bring your credit card and cell phone. That is a long trip. I've been eyeballing a Versy's as a second bike for a while now. I hope all goes well.

Morinite

Morinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
WitsBusa
in training.....

Oddometer: 113
that's a lot of mileage for four days.. good luck.
WitsBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
on_the_edge
Goat Herder

Oddometer: 57
Well, I guess I am in for watching this one develop.

As an FYI--I know you are on a tight schedule on your return, and I see that one possibility is I40 through NM. I don't know how it is east of Albuquerque, but west to Gallup, there are signs warning of dangerous crosswinds. The road outside Gallup is a two-lane in each direction with a gravel/weed median. AND, as it turns out...that is the location of my only motorcycle get off in nearly 20 years of riding. In short, I got blown out of my lane by a freak crosswind out of the south, across the left lane entirely, and ended up finally losing it in the loose material of the median. I was on a Ducati ST2. Thank God nobody was next to me when it happened or I may not be here writing this. I only mention it to say, "be careful and best off luck"!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There

For all that is Holy, do NOT take I5 up Oregon, man!

It won't add much time and will add gobs and gobs of pleasure if, instead, you head out to 101, through mcMinnvelle probably and past the air museum (LEOs like to hide on those loooong straights), to 101 and take that south, then back over to Grant's Pass.

You can check out my PDX trip in my sig to find out more about what you might be getting into. Remember we went all the way to San Diego tho! LOL

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 04-29-2010 at 11:15 AM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Here's a route option you may want to consider (flip it).

Start on the slab and make great time.

This takes you up 101 - gorgeous, across Nevada - breath-taking - and through Bryce Canyon - fantastic.

Since you're an Oregonian, I won't bore you with not being able to get gas after business hours (no ghost stations) and that LEOs are chronically unamused by speeds 10+ since tags cost $55/2 years, so they make it up through tickets. Lots and lots and lots of tickets.

There's some beautiful territory out there.

Sounds like you'll have a great trip!!

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
turnenem
TBD

Oddometer: 971
Sounds good so far!
turnenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
sgtpaco
HoosierDaddy?

Oddometer: 84
it's not even my child and I think that Versys is purty! Have fun on the trip.
sgtpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
nimbuscrenel
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
For all that is Holy, do NOT take I5 up Oregon, man!

It won't add much time and will add gobs and gobs of pleasure if, instead, you head out to 101, through mcMinnvelle probably and past the air museum (LEOs like to hide on those loooong straights), to 101 and take that south, then back over to Grant's Pass.

You can check out my PDX trip in my sig to find out more about what you might be getting into. Remember we went all the way to San Diego tho! LOL
I second this. Beautiful country, and you can see the Spruce Goose!
nimbuscrenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
It's your trip. Enjoy it.
But , have you ever wanted to see Monument Valley. It's not far off from your tracks. You know you want to.

For a $5 fee to the tribe ,they'll let you ride Kermit in. Worth it!
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
WIdirtrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Good luck sounds like fun!

WIdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Which ever route you take, it looks like you will have a ripper of a trip on your new bike. Have fun.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
MelonMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Sounds like a monster trip. I too think if you can avoid the slab west of Gallop, it would be safest. My concern is the tremendous amount of semi traffic on that highway. I taught on the Navajo Reservation in AZ when I was fresh out of Grad School. Your second route would take you up through that country. Take 25 minutes while in Chinle, AZ. to ride on the southern edge of Canyon de Chelly(de-shea). It is spectacular. Then load up on gas and snacks at the only grocery store within about 45 miles and head north by northwest.

Best of luck and enjoy!
MelonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #15
explr
Just Stooopid

Oddometer: 168
Enjoy and keep us posted, please!

explr is offline   Reply With Quote