User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
tallnbig68 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question Need some (helpful?) advice...

In the last few years have been ill. However once the sidecar bug has bitten it is impossible
to even quench the desire to have a third wheel to the side.

Reluctantly sold my '81 Honda Goldwing which had in past acted as my sidecartug.
The chair was a Hedingham XL with Unit Leading Link forks. The rig served
me well from new.

Time passes and since 2005 have been battling a number of nasty medical encounters.
Lupus followed by cancer (with subsequent surgical removal of a kidney and my spleen
and all my lymph nodes.) and then three years of regular chemo. the sidecar was sold
early on and then the Goldwing was sold two years later due to 500,000 K on the clock and lack of qualified mechanics who were born before the bike had been
constructed. Lack of repair parts helped contribute to the demise of the bike and earlier the chair.
So am now looking at returning, however there are few caveats. First off I am big, no, let's call that huge, six foot
inches tall weighing about 400 pounds. Yes there's fat there however pre cancer and Lupus not much has changed.

In years gone past people came to me to align and tidy their sidecar rigs. These days
have trouble enough getting down to the ground to do anything, weakness being a major factor.
Have looked at various tugs, they are all physically too small. To give you an example: seated on a friend's Ural
the distance from the front foot peg to the handlebars is less than the distance from my foot to my knee, and even adjusting the handle bars wouldn't work given my weight and size.

So am thinking maybe returning to sidecars. New Goldwings are just too fancy, and for some reason seem smaller
than in the past. And of course they are loaded with non-essential devices.
BMW;s including off road devices are still way too small. H-D's are even smaller than GW's, never realized it was so until a fully dressed Hog was beside a new Goldwing. I think the world is manufacturing motorcycles for midgets.

So first a tug, and then maybe a long box for storage and balance as a compartment on the chair.
I want to ride again with a chair however things aren't looking good. Mind when Dave Hannigan was
still in Canada and I was contemplating purchasing his business it was still a struggle for me
to get into most chairs. The tug, then wasn't a problem, it is now.

And don't even thing of a trike, that's not motorcycling IMO

And before you ask, I drive a thirteen year old Honda Civic with the front seat on specialty manufactured
rails in order to get the seat back far enough. Even then, my knees often strike the underside of the steering wheel.
And all of the newer vehicles have had internal design changes; the dashboard in many cases has been brought way forward towards the front seating area. So all SUV's are out as well as most passenger cars.

So any suggestions or ideas? Oh I would want have a non-USA install;
too many hoops to jump through bringing a sidecar rig across the international border.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible. Bertrand Russell

tallnbig68 screwed with this post 10-30-2011 at 01:48 PM Reason: spelling
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Oddometer: 180
Give me a shout, I'm sure we can sort something to get you going again.
-Brock Smith
[/CENTER]
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
We did a sidecar rig a few years back for some one your size, We started with a GL1500 Goldwing and simply had a custom solo saddle made. The GL1500 and the GL1800 are larger then most other bikes and as such have more room in the seating area. We also had a customer your size who ran a GL1500 Valkyrie.
Our Kenna sidecar is the least expensive sidecar we make and we do make a version of it with a longer frame to work with the GL1500/1800. This sidecar is way to light for a bike as large as the GL1500 with a rider your size however as the frame is made from 1 3/4 inch tubing it is strong enough to take ballist. We also make a wider version of the Kenna called the Kenna double, this sidecar is 10 inches wider.
We can ship these sidecars to Canada no problem to be installed localy.
Our sidecars are on sale until the end of the month (today) for 10% off.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
tallnbig68 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thank you both for your offers.

This shall not be a short-term project.

I also need to do some digging of sourcing.

You're both on the west coast although Kamloops is
closer to the drier interior (most of the time);

Shall keep investigating.

As with life itself not to be rushed,
rather to be savoured and enjoyed.

Thank you

tallnbig68 screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 09:53 PM Reason: oops
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Talking Vn2000

Sat on Kawasaki VN2000 once it was the 1st cruiser that felt roomy to sit on. With 2050cc engine it is one big machine.
May even have the grunt to pull a sidecar .
Hope it works out for you.
Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
If you are looking for something on the East coast, check out Claude of Claude Stanley Motorsports.
He's in PA and about 550km away.
http://freedomsidecars.com/index.html
Give him a call or e-mail, he will get back to you in short order.
I've been to his shop and met the man a few times, can't say enough nice things about him or his company.

Eric B

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
miggins11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
The GTR1400 Kawasaki? At least that's what it's called over here - the big shaft drive model.