Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #226
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
Is anyone out there "permanently" attaching saddlebags to the side racks? My '07 has the Happy Trails paniers and I'm going to mount some Wolfman saddlebags. Don't want them to be easily removable/stolen.
I've seen guys put a little pad lock on the straps but if someone really wants them... A little knife action and off they go.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #227
ript
redneckjedi

Oddometer: 36
My luggage so far

Great thread, lots of good ideas here. Here's what I put on my 07.

I went with the Ranger Flat Top Combo from DirtBagz with their hardware, and a CycleRacks rack.

They bolt up together perfectly, and I like the way the combo helps protect the side bags from the exhaust.. With the dbz straps going over the cyclerack, it makes the load angle more vertical, and actually prevents the side bag from mashing into the exhaust.

The picture doesn't show it well because of the shadows, but you can see how the bag hangs straight down now instead of at an angle from the seat, which used to cause it to lay across the plastic heat shield. The bag actually has to pull in just a hair to attach to the load loop now. Lots of air space around there now.

A few pictures of the mounts.

Upper:

Lower:

Here's shots with just the racks, no luggage.

I carry all my camping gear in the side bags, and food/clothes go in the top pack. still have not decided on the tank bag, and i'll be getting a front fender bag soon. Any suggestions on a tank bag that works well with the Clarke 4 gallon tank?

I currently have a little gimmick bag velcro'd to the bars too, but that will be relocating or going away once I start clustering up the dash area with doo dads and switches. subframe reinforcement and maybe a brace peg for the cyclerack down to the rear upper peg mount is in the works as well.

I know my shark fin is broke/missing as well, saving for a Scotts.

-Sean
ript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #228
rangecon1976
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thumb

ript,

Could you tell me the size of the area on the rack that is behind the tool bag. I am looking to do your exact setup but I would like to mount a pelican case on top and was wondering how big of a case I could get without getting into the tool bag.

Thanks ahead of time.

Great bike I have an XRL as well and envision mine looking almost exactly like yours when Im done.

Dave

"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp, I know what I gotta do, I'm just not quite sure where to get started"!!
rangecon1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #229
ript
redneckjedi

Oddometer: 36
Dave-

It's 10" deep to the center of the first tube to the rear tube. you may be able to go +1/2", but opening the bag would be rough I imagine.

I'm very happy with my XRL. It's a Honda, what more do you need to say? Even stock (except for the tires) it's a great bike, altho the tank was pretty small. Once i get my fork brace, lights, fender/tank bag, and gps I think i'll be about finished. for now.
ript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #230
rangecon1976
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thumb Thanks

ript,

Thanks for the response and the visual, that helps alot. After seeing those pictures I may just use the dirtbagz top bag as you have, or just sacrifice the tool bag and remove it. It looks to me like the dirtbagz mounts and and the way they fit with the cycleracks.com rack they might actually make it more strudy adding some geometry to the lower side. What do you think??

Thanks

Dave

"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp, I know what I gotta do, I'm just not quite sure where to get started"!!
rangecon1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #231
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 275
I really like the Ortlieb saddle bags. What's the best way to secure them and keep them from melting from the pipe? Looks perfect for what I want. And Ortlieb makes good stuff. Any tips, tricks, or successes? No pannier rack needed? Or maybe a reinforcement for the subframe?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #232
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
I really like the Ortlieb saddle bags. What's the best way to secure them and keep them from melting from the pipe? Looks perfect for what I want. And Ortlieb makes good stuff. Any tips, tricks, or successes? No pannier rack needed? Or maybe a reinforcement for the subframe?

Wolfman Luggage makes some nice bags... they also have racks for our bike. If I had to do it all over again i would definetly look at Wolfman!!

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #233
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel Otto View Post
Figured I'd keep this one going...
'07 XRL with Turbo City rear rack, Ebay pannier mounts, Nelson-Rigg CL-850 saddle bags, Wolfman tank bag, JCWhitney top box and relocated the tool bag to the front fender.

Other mods include HID headlight, throttle lock, FuzeBlock with Waterproof USB outlet, 12V outlet, heated grips, led turn signals, Dave's Carb mods, de-smogged, de-snorkled, RAM phone mount, Spitfire Windshield, Heavy Eibach rear spring, LED tail light, and folding mirrors.
I like you mod of moving the stock toolbag from the tail fender to the front fender.
Did you use the original mounting holes and hardware and just drill your front fender to do that? Or, did you do any other reinforcing or use a different hole pattern?
That stock tool bag holds a spare 21" tube nicely and i've put a larger bag on the tail fender for other tools.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #234
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Wolfman Luggage makes some nice bags... they also have racks for our bike. If I had to do it all over again i would definetly look at Wolfman!!

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
+1 on the Wolfman setup. Very solid.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #235
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

I plan to read all this through but I thought I would ask the question. Riding from DC to Northern California without much offroad and no camping. I am not quite ready to go awesome aluminum adv panniers so I am Going to go for soft luggage. Will be popping between cheap motels. So, no need to schlepp camping gear. There are so many great choices, most of the best ones vulnerable to a hot enduro pipe with its melting qualities. 1-up riding. Just me. Happy to share my saddle with the bags. Do I need a supporting rack? Is there an awesome heat guard. Any particularly awesome bags you can recommend?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #236
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Looking at Wolfman right now, thanks! :)
Old 06-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #237
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Could this be the solution? Since I am only running from cheap motel to cheap motel, do you think that the Beta Plus Rear Bag plus the Beta Duffel might be all that I need? I am just afraid the subframe won't be able to handle it -- what do you think?

Old 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #238
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Looking for a tank bag that mates perfectly with the Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank. Any advice?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #239
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
Looking for a tank bag that mates perfectly with the Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank. Any advice?
I like the small expedition tank bag from Wolfman.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #240
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

By the way, I ended up getting the Wolfman Beta Plus large bag and duffle for this trip. Maybe something more perm down the road. Will get the enduro tank bag from Wolfman as well, probably. Thanks for all the help for this newbie.