Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2005, 11:57 PM   #16
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundlightKnight
I need somthing that will spread the weight of my gear across the part of my bike that's strong enough for a fat chick to sit on. I'm building my own rack.
OK, here's the cheap way to do it. Get one of these, for about $5

Then modify like this:

Seat without modified "rack":

Remove the toolbag (the Wolfman toolbag velcros onto the rear, really nice), put the modified "rack" where the fat chicks sit , and hose clamp it to the back of a rear rack. Instant platform for heavy stuff. Worked for me.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #17
RLK

Oddometer: 6,382
That's a cool setup and some real DIY spirit.

I've decided on a single Aluminum Mermite can mounted horizontally and legnthwise. It will keep the important junk dry and provide a platform to strap less weather-sensitive junk to.

I want my junk to survive the occaisional jump off of a water bar so I'm going to utilize the hardpoints for the strap that runs across the seat. My subframe has lots of threaded hardpoints that I feel are under-utilized.

I also have a few under-utilized milk crates laying around that were *cough* less than $5. (All appologies to the milk industry.) The containers made from plastic sewer pipe that i've seen floating around look to be interestingly jumpable and lightweight. We have lots of options. This will be fun!

Holy Hi-jack Batman! Sorry.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #18
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Try Promotobillet.com

Yep, Try Promotobillet.com I have on on my XR-650L and like it alot!
They may be a bit $$, but worth it I think. Light, Strong, Durable. A tail bag can attach right to it, or stack it with tent, chair, bed roll, etc.

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #19
motowest OP
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
XR650L project progress

Well, this project isn't happening as fast as I would have hoped, but progress is being made. I acquired a rear rack from XR's Only (billet rack-$140-nice!) and mounted it. Next will be mounting my Pelican 1400 case to the rack. I have acquired a Pelican 1550 case for side installation. I only bought one so that I could check out the fitment before investing twice the money in case it was too big. I think it will work just fine. I will get a second 1550 case and then move toward the mounting process. I need to contact Happy Trails about their su-rack, first. My Supertrapp and rear rack are both mounted to the subframe on the right side, and I don't see much room left to mount the su-rack. More to come.

Note: The XR's Only rear rack requires the removal of the stock rear fender bag.
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:34 AM   #20
gotdurt
Flatulent Fellow

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by motowest
It doesn't matter if one buys the fancy aluminum panniers or straps on some duffle bags. As long as it works for the rider. You don't see me running out to drop $650 on the aluminum boxes right away. I'm not convinced that is the way to go, even though the Touratech riders used them on all their adventure rides. Of course, it helps if you're sponsored by Touratech (or own Touratech!).
I'm going to build a rack and use these:
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...dry_boxes.html
You'll have to use some creative mounting, but they're much lighter than the metal millitary ammo boxes that some use. They look pretty durable and can be found at Academy, for those fortunate enough to have one in their state. depending on size they run between $8-20 each.
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #21
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,218
I use my Army ruck sack - it has handy loops to put my arms through, and I can carry all sorts of crap in it. I used it on an all-day ride from Boston to D.C., and it performed brilliantly. Of course, I could barely stand up straight at the end of that day, but . . . . .

I bought one of the aluminum racks from Baja Designs, but have not gotten around to putting it on yet. Much like many of the accessories I have purchased for Big Red.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #22
Hltoppr
GS Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
I went with a set of Dirt Bagz Ranger panniers, replaced the stock tool bag with a Pelican 1330 case and put a Wolfman number plate bag up front. Worked great through 1500 miles of Baja and Mexico!

-H-

2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure
Overland Certified
www.OverlandTraining.com
Hltoppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #23
motowest OP
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Cool,

gotdurt, I am planning on building a rack as well. My contact with Happy Trails was not very fruitful, so I decided to build my own. I have acquired a set of used Touratech hoops from a GS (ebay) which I will use to build my own Touratech XR650L set-up.

Glad to see others are enjoying their XR650L's!
Old 07-02-2005, 05:23 PM   #24
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
I've got a ventura pack frame and packs. There are several different models of bags for this rack. Good quality and affordable too.
Go to www.ventura-bike.com
They do racks for over 750 models.

XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #25
Lucien
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 137
2 suggestions from experience
1) Weld added support braces on the subframe. Easy to do, and needed for off road
2) Make a metal cage or heat shield around the muffler or you will find your luggage on fire like I did in Mexico

I have done many thousands of street and dirt miles on a 650L and it worked great. I wish it was a bit lighter, but it is all a tradeoff. I'm on a 520EXC DS now-way better in the dirt, way worse on the street.
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:13 PM   #26
motowest OP
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien
2 suggestions from experience
1) Weld added support braces on the subframe. Easy to do, and needed for off road
2) Make a metal cage or heat shield around the muffler or you will find your luggage on fire like I did in Mexico

I have done many thousands of street and dirt miles on a 650L and it worked great. I wish it was a bit lighter, but it is all a tradeoff. I'm on a 520EXC DS now-way better in the dirt, way worse on the street.
I noticed that the rear subframe looked a little whimpy for adding luggage. Good idea of adding support braces.

Any pics of your luggage on fire?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:33 PM   #27
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien
How bad is the 520EXC on the street? Is it rideable on the highway for any extended period? What is its top end? I need a more dirt-worthy dualsport myself...
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #28
paulsax
Paul

Oddometer: 50
another 650L setup

I had no money when I did mine so thak that into account. To start with
I had additional supports welded alongside the existing subframe. THese used to be a weak point on the XR's and I planned on going heavy. Can't prove they helped as nothing has ever broken. I used ortleib (spelled right?) soft bags and a SRC rear rack. IMHO the rack was not worth the money as it's mounting was kind of weak. THe bags worked a treat though. I got the models with the roll down tops (kayak dry bag style) and they have never leaked even one drop. I did have one problem with the softbags and that was the right side bag was a bit heavy and pushed the side panel into the exhaust. Of course it happened in the middle of friggin nowhere. Made a spacer with a rag and a stick and it worked for 6K miles so what the hell. Lastly I got a kayak dry bag (HEavy duty coated style) to put on the rack. I gust used a plain old backpack and stuffed it in the dry bag. Never leaked and only cost maybe $50.
so in summary:

ortleib dry bags = good
welded subframe = good (my opinion)
SRC rack = OK but you can do better
Sealine dry bags = good
BTW I have a yosh exhaust. the stocker may not have a sidepanel problem but I'd plan on it anyway. the wafting smell of burning plastic sucks.

hope this helps or gives ideas

paul in texas
paulsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:25 AM   #29
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,246
Laugh Do these make my ass look big?

Dang, those are gonna get ripped off the first trip out if I'm not carful. Just got them installed last night. The racks are my own and are a first attempt so there will be some changes in the next set. Happy trails supplied the cans. For what I intend to do with it, I'm happy. I do plan to add some metal to the sub frame.

When my buds see this I think the XR is gonna get nominated beer mule.

Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:41 PM   #30
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 470
There's a UK company (www.overland-solutions.com) that make a rack and luggage system for the XR650L. Chris Scott (author of a few books about adventure motorcycling, see http://www.adventure-motorcycling.co...rs/xrlprep.htm) used it on one of his saharan adventures, so I guess the quality must be good. Quite pricey from what I've heard.