Here's mine with Chase Harper DS bags, no side panel racks

Here rack with bicycle panniers , rack is homemade from PO

El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #77
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Here's another set up

The tail pack is Nelson Rigg expandable Tail pack. I love this trunk.

El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #78
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Pelican cases on their XRL

Great thread everyone,

I just ordered SU racks for my XRL and am looking at a set of Pelican cases to mount on the racks. Is there anyone out there that has Pelican cases on their XRL? If so can you post a couple of pics? I am looking at the Pelican 1550 cases and I am scared that they may be too large for the bike. If there is anyone else that has pelican cases on their thumper please post pics as well and please state which ones they are (i.e. 1520, or 1550).

Thanks in advance,

Cumbacheech
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #79
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
I just ordered SU racks for my XRL and am looking at a set of Pelican cases to mount on the racks.
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the SU racks and where you ordered them from? Once you get it all put together, I'd love to see some pics because I was thinking of the same thing. - thanks

Here's a page with some pics of a guy with Pelican cases.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...an#post4258284
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #80
Cumbacheech
XRated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the SU racks and where you ordered them from? Once you get it all put together, I'd love to see some pics because I was thinking of the same thing. - thanks

Here's a page with some pics of a guy with Pelican cases.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...an#post4258284
Tjrockit,

Thanks for the Link!!. I ordered my cases here http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/...HTP3-6-1B.aspx . If you order before the end of the year shipping is free. As for the cases I ended up ordering the 1520 cases I was worried that the 1550 would be to large. I saw a couple of bikes with the 1520 and it looks good and seems to fit the bike. I also figured it would be a better idea to go with the lighter cases.

Good luck,

Cumbacheech
Old 12-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #81
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Great thread everyone,

I just ordered SU racks for my XRL and am looking at a set of Pelican cases to mount on the racks. Is there anyone out there that has Pelican cases on their XRL? If so can you post a couple of pics? I am looking at the Pelican 1550 cases and I am scared that they may be too large for the bike. If there is anyone else that has pelican cases on their thumper please post pics as well and please state which ones they are (i.e. 1520, or 1550).

Thanks in advance,

Cumbacheech
Caribou Cases uses 1550's http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000093
Old 12-30-2008, 02:26 AM   #82
Cumbacheech
XRated

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
Thanks El Birdo. I saw that thread under the Vendor section already but unfortunately no Pelicans on the XRL. That Caribou system looks amazing. Those 1550's look a little large for thumpers but perfect for the big bikes.

Cumbacheech
Old 12-30-2008, 05:35 AM   #83
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Here are a few pic's from my tear down and rebuild. I designed the gussets and had a welder install, then off to the powdercoater for a sandblast and fresh powder coat in semi-gloss black. The finish is perfect, there is just some flash scatter... I will post a build report later..
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #84
007brian
shaken not stirred

Oddometer: 543
pelican cases

I have a 1520 case as a top box and 1500 cases as panniers on su happy trails racks and it works good. The overall width of the cases are 33". I will try to post a picture later today. Or you can pm me and I will email pictures to you. I always have difficulty posting pictures on this site. {operator error i am sure}
007brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #85
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007brian
I have a 1520 case as a top box and 1500 cases as panniers on su happy trails racks and it works good. The overall width of the cases are 33". I will try to post a picture later today. Or you can pm me and I will email pictures to you. I always have difficulty posting pictures on this site. {operator error i am sure}
I'm sure we'd all like to see the pics.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #86
Manchu
carpet pisser

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Great thread everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Cumbacheech

I've got 1520s on my XRL, using the SU rack. My main concerns were the same as yours - 1550s being too large, too heavy.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...chmentid=65829

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...chmentid=65830

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #87
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu
Hey, it looks like you've got the cyclegear rack with the SU rack. Did you have to make any additional modifications to mount both? Also, is the SU rack from happytrails?

The pic that is shown on the happytrails site includes a top rack which I'm not sure if that is sold separately.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #88
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
The top rack is a seperate item.

Interested in knowing if the SU rack is sturdy enough for more substantial cases w/o reinforcing the sub frame. I'm planning on using mermites or similar AL cases with mine but am waffling at this point about gussetting the subframe. I have the SU rack in the garage waiting to go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
Hey, it looks like you've got the cyclegear rack with the SU rack. Did you have to make any additional modifications to mount both? Also, is the SU rack from happytrails?

The pic that is shown on the happytrails site includes a top rack which I'm not sure if that is sold separately.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #89
007brian
shaken not stirred

Oddometer: 543
The SU racks act like a frame support and you should not have to reinforce it more. Unless of course you pack ALOT of stuff.
007brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #90
Cumbacheech
XRated

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
I'm sure we'd all like to see the pics.
El Birdo,

007Brian sent me the pics but now I need to figure out how to post multiple pics I posted a pic before but I am not that good at it. If you are good at posting pics let me know and we can try to get them up on site for others to see.

Cumbacheech