User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
JayBo's 450 Rally Replica

On the 4th March 2011 I made a very expensive phone call. It was to Ram at Causeway KTM Ducati in Perth to confirm my order for a KTM 450 Rally Factory Replica (the official full title). I shot down the next day armed with a bank cheque for $15k - the required minimum deposit before KTM's Rally department would take you seriously. (Don't worry about the "shot", "armed" and "bank" all in the same sentence ... it was all done quite legally. Unless you count the wifes opinion).

By the end of July the production run was done but an estimate of 6 weeks for delivery wasn't going to give me much time for registering ("B Class" rego), running in and fettling before the Australasian Safari starts on 22nd September, so I turned some more pockets inside out to airfreight it to Perth. It arrived last week, spent a few R&R days with Customs and finally got to the shop on Friday. On Saturday I got a sneak peak as it was being uncrated:

Some pre-delivery work was to be done, so I arranged to collect it this morning. So on 23rd of August 2011 I became a member of a fairly exclusive club - owner of a 450 Rally. Of course this didn't happen until after another visit to the bank to further impact the house mortgage to the tune of $35,500 to make the total for the bike a whopping $50,500.

I threw a couple of sponsor stickers on for a photo shoot with a newspaper for some Safari promotion. Watch for the "Photo Finish" feature on the back page of the "Home" section of the Sunday Times in WA.

The shop fitted the high guard that came with the box of parts so I could keep the very exxy carbon fibre low guard in mint condition. They have also removed the Cat converter, exhaust restrictor and carb throttle stop to un-strangle it. Unfortunately it's running like crap and barely idles so more investigation and fettling is required.

My first mission is to get it B Class licensed and running properly. Then I'll be fitting it up with indicators. It does come with indicators in the box of parts, that the shop could have fitted as part of the pre-delivery, but I intend to fit the flush mounting LED indicators that are fitted to the 530 at the moment. I'll also be pulling it apart to check and re-grease everything critical like steering head bearing, swing arm pivot, shock linkages (it's been a few years since I've looked at those things!), etc. As I pull things apart and notice "cool stuff", I'll post up piccies for you.

Cheers
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88

JayBo1 screwed with this post 08-26-2011 at 10:37 PM Reason: Added photo of "handover"
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,490

(need to change your signature bro)
Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
On the 4th March 2011 I made a very expensive phone call. It was to Ram at Causeway KTM Ducati in Perth to confirm my order for a KTM 450 Rally Factory Replica (the official full title). I shot down the next day armed with a bank cheque for $15k - the required minimum deposit before KTM's Rally department would take you seriously. (Don't worry about the "shot", "armed" and "bank" all in the same sentence ... it was all done quite legally. Unless you count the wifes opinion).

By the end of July the production run was done but an estimate of 6 weeks for delivery wasn't going to give me much time for registering ("B Class" rego), running in and fettling before the Australasian Safari starts on 22nd September, so I turned some more pockets inside out to airfreight it to Perth. It arrived last week, spent a few R&R days with Customs and finally got to the shop on Friday. On Saturday I got a sneak peak as it was being uncrated:

Some pre-delivery work was to be done, so I arranged to collect it this morning. So on 23rd of August 2011 I became a member of a fairly exclusive club - owner of a 450 Rally. Of course this didn't happen until after another visit to the bank to further impact the house mortgage to the tune of $35,500 to make the total for the bike a whopping $50,500.

I threw a couple of sponsor stickers on for a photo shoot with a newspaper for some Safari promotion. Watch for the "Photo Finish" feature on the back page of the "Home" section of the Sunday Times in WA.

The shop fitted the high guard that came with the box of parts so I could keep the very exxy carbon fibre low guard in mint condition. They have also removed the Cat converter, exhaust restrictor and carb throttle stop to un-strangle it. Unfortunately it's running like crap and barely idles so more investigation and fettling is required.

My first mission is to get it B Class licensed and running properly. Then I'll be fitting it up with indicators. It does come with indicators in the box of parts, that the shop could have fitted as part of the pre-delivery, but I intend to fit the flush mounting LED indicators that are fitted to the 530 at the moment. I'll also be pulling it apart to check and re-grease everything critical like steering head bearing, swing arm pivot, shock linkages (it's been a few years since I've looked at those things!), etc. As I pull things apart and notice "cool stuff", I'll post up piccies for you.

Cheers
JayBo

how's the knee ??? do you need me to run it in for you ( quick blast along the Holland Track this weekend perhaps )
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
ThomasOz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Looks great! Send some pics and updates. It looks good in white.
ThomasOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
guymcfly
Banned

Oddometer: 953
Bloody hell John, that's a nice bit of gear; wish I could afford one myself! Good onya for going with it!
guymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
iconman
Good vibrations

Oddometer: 979
Nice one John. Bet it wasn't easy typing $50,500.00.....

Soooooo. when are we invited over for drinkies and a look-see?
98 Suzuki DS 80 Gone to a new home
iconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,261
Nice Jaybo1! I look forward to seeing it in action at the Safari.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,946
50,000... just to look at...?

John, you need to get that thing jetted and get out there and get some mulga sap on them pristine white handguards and a few scratches up the side of the thing! Fer chrissakes... it's been FOUR DAYS you've had the thing already?! You didn't buy it as a show n' shine bike did you?!

The next image we want to see is you aboard the thing, going somewhere dirty, reasonably fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
John What a Great looking bike!!!

What up Troy!!!!!
Wish I was down for the race, I am just sorting out my 950 getting it ready to Pre run the Baja 1000. Thanks for all the cool pics you sent me.
Wish you could come to So Cal USA.... do a little riding with Joe and I.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Why is it called a replica? Looks like the real thing to me.

Came across this while I was at the Erzberg this year.

Only 33 000 Euro.
Was so tempted, but the missus would have shot me.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconman View Post
Nice one John. Bet it wasn't easy typing $50,500.00.....

Soooooo. when are we invited over for drinkies and a look-see?
I suspect typing it was easier than paying it

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
My bikes better
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,240
Why didn't you just buy a DR650 and spend a couple of hundred on the suspension?

Then you would have had a much better bike and you would only have to chainge the oil and clean the filter every two or three months.

You know you could have bought 6 or 7 DR650's for that price.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,990
oh dear , very nice
Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,443
Mmmm, very tasty JayBo. I've now contracted envy-itis.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote