User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
dirtyjimmy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Yamaha WR250R is too tall

I am considering buying a WR250R, but find it very tall. I am 5'9" with a 30 inch inseam. A buddy owns the Honda CR230R and I can flat foot on that, but it doesn't have the power, efi, etc, of the Yamaha. t have seen the websites offering lowering kits and am looking for some feedback.
1. How low can you get it?
2. How does it effect the handling.
3. Which kit works best?
dirtyjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
I'm 5'-9" with a 30" inseam and ride a stock height WR250R with no problem.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
I don't really see the obsession people have with being able to flat foot a bike in order to ride it... Watch motocross sometime and look at the riders on the start line. Most of them can hardly touch the ground with even one foot. Just need to learn how to shift your body to the side of the bike you want to touch. Put one foot on the peg and then shift your body to the opposite side of the bike and you should easily be able to flat foot the bike. If you need two feet on the ground to balance your bike then maybe the problem is balance and not inseam length.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Not everybody can be James Stewart

Dirtyjimmy, you can lower it maybe 2", which is a huge diff. Just search on 'WR250R lowering'.

Yamalink, plus stock lowering of the shock, works just fine. And you can always put it back higher if/when you get more proficient/comfortable, without a huge outlay of $$.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,226
Don't listen to people who tell you to "get used to it..." You like the bike, it's a great bike. So, do some lowering tricks. You could lose 1.5" - 2" of suspension travel and still never bottom it out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356138

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1...ck-adjustments

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
I have the same specs as Krabill and I dont have any problem with the height. Remember the suspension will sag a few inches once it has all your weight on it.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
rmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Don't listen to people who tell you to "get used to it..." You like the bike, it's a great bike. So, do some lowering tricks. You could lose 1.5" - 2" of suspension travel and still never bottom it out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356138

+1

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I've done the lowering link plus the factory shock lowering and can confortably touch the ground.

Yea, some riders will tell you to keep your feet on the pegs all of the time, and I do agree with that in prinicple, but when I need to dab a foot I like to hit ground instead of air.
rmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 11,211

they can be lowered by a fair amount
Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Mine has 2 inches out of it (link and shock adjust). I am same size. Can put both feet down but not quite flat foot. I am thinking of putting an inch back in so the side stand works better.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
I did the Yamalink and about 1/2" on the stock lowering adjust. And raised the forks 15mm. Yeah, I know, mixing units is bad But mm is easier for my tired eyes to read than 1/64" when measuring the forks.

Works just fine for me.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,388
My girlfriend is much shorter than you & she rides her WR just fine with the shock on the lower setting, the forks slid up a little, & a re-shaped seat.

I'm only a little over 5'10" & it feels quite small to me.

Lowering links can screw up the proper action of the suspension so it is best to try the other options first. If you do need to go that low you may find that as you gain some confidence you'll be able to junk the lowering link & handle a taller bike ok.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter View Post
I don't really see the obsession people have with being able to flat foot a bike in order to ride it... Watch motocross sometime and look at the riders on the start line. Most of them can hardly touch the ground with even one foot. Just need to learn how to shift your body to the side of the bike you want to touch. Put one foot on the peg and then shift your body to the opposite side of the bike and you should easily be able to flat foot the bike. If you need two feet on the ground to balance your bike then maybe the problem is balance and not inseam length.
That's great for motocross! but when your in a hairy spot on the side of a hill filled with rocks and moutain larels its nice to be able to reach something with your feet so you dont fall over and break your ribs! I just sold a bike for that reason.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
Stormy Weather
skier turned bike nut

Oddometer: 110
Rather than preaching that you should just get used to it or saying that you should be a good enough rider to deal with the too tall issue......

If you really like the bike there are plenty of options to lower it, none of which I have first hand with so can not answer your questions but can point you in a direction. I would suggest you talk to greer who has significantly lowered her seat height and still seems to love the bike. (this was the last I heard.... haven't been on here for a number of months due to excessive schooling) Also shewolf who if you can't find here can be found on the wr250r forum.

Hope this helps. From what I understand, handling is not significantly changed by the addition of the yamalink and fork lowering as long as you attempt to keep the same geometry.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #14
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,686
Lowering the WR250R is easy, bunch of us have done it. Some reading:

http://www.motorcycleloweringlinks.c...g-link-wr250xr

Seatconcepts.com offers a low seat kit, I specified firm foam and shaved just a tad bit with a belt sander:

I have bar risers and have my forks up in the clamps 7/8". I believe my seat height is dead on 33", I can double check to be sure. Got 27,000 miles on the bike with no problems at all. Feel free to holler if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help if I can.

Sarah
Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #15
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,226
A suspesnion tuner can add a spacer to your shock to drop it about an inch. Much better then lowering links as it does not screw with the geometry of the bike .