User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
gunz11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Clearwater Lights - Excellent Product & Service

Just want to give a friendly shout-out to Clearwater Lights; their service department is as excellent as their products.

After riding to their shop to replace one of my bike's lights (which broke during one of my recent dirt naps ), they immediately rolled out the red carpet. Not only did they install the new light, they also helped me identify and fix another mechanical problem.
gunz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
EZGlider
Seeker

Oddometer: 165
Just did an Krista/Erica combo install with Canopener. Also installed Clearwater's license plate brake light. Glen makes good stuff, and his customer service is 10/10.
Put the OEMs where they belong.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Innovation, excellence and great people!

Installed my first set of Krista's on the 2012 BMW k 1600 GTL exactly a year ago. This particular application includes intricate CNC machined billet aluminum powedercoated brackets that sandwich between the mirrors and the mirrormounts. A work of art that results in a clean if slightly complex install. Since then, Glen and his crew at Clearwater perfected the canbus plug and play. This means NO external switches! Now everything is controlled via the factory BMW 'magic wheel' on the left handlebar. Also, now the horn button will 'strobe' the Erica's. Last month I installed Erica's on a 2014 BMW K 1600 GTL. Installation was much quicker (since I now know the inside tricks) but it is still a four hour job, partially because the fairing has to be modified to run the wires through. The wiring from the lamps is a little short for this particular bike, but perfectly adequate for every other bike I have installed these on. A simple plug in wire extension 12 inches long (per side) would simplify the job. The stock headlights in this picture are on high beam, but might as well be tealights. An unexpected benefit of the Clearwater lights is that you can always spot your riding buddy in your mirrors. Doesn't matter if it is day light, heavy yraffic and he's dropped back a mile or more. Highly recommended!
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964253

ErikMotoMan screwed with this post 04-12-2015 at 08:11 PM
ErikMotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

Took the concept a little further with my 2003 K 1200 GT. I already had the Clearwater Erica's mounted on a home made tubular bar running accross the bottom of the fairing. Looked ok, worked fine, but placed the lamps in harms way. The Clearwaters are by far the most expensive components on this bike. On a recent trip a rock cracked the stock headlight. The die was cast....
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

The two Clearwater lights are joined at the 'waist' with a 8x16 mm stainless stud and blue locktite. The multi LED light bar is a $ 79 ebay purchase. As an actual lighting source the lightbars pattern is shorter and wider than anticipated. Lots of light but not particularly focused. Originally it was my intent to use the lightbar as low beams and the Clearwaters as high beams. But the end result is a 4 way hybrid configuration. Since I run relays for everything, (drawing power directly from the battery), I can alter the configuration simply by swapping a single control input wire around.

Long story short, the Clearwaters have a master switch, so I turn them off when in town. However, even with the master switch off, the Clearwater Glenda 'conspicuity' lights are ALWAYS on. With amber lenses they also are fabulous fog lights, because they are so close to the ground.

Next, I wired both the lightbar and the Clearwater Erica's as highbeams. When I hit the low beam switch, the Clearwaters dim (that's a built-in feature, and adjustable from very bright to very dim) and the lightbar extinguishes. If the master switch is off, only the amber lights stay on. Perfect for fog.
Leaving the Clearwater master switch off, and going to high beams turns the light bar back on. Perfect for around town or illuminating the dark campsite while drawing only 4.5 amps.

In summation, my four options are:

Light up the next county
Lowbeam (adjustable brightness)
Foglights only
Citylight/worklight

ErikMotoMan screwed with this post 04-13-2015 at 12:07 AM