Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #242
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
I like tech's recommendation. I took a look at the XR today and it would require some bending and such to mount at the swingarm bolt, but that would be the ultimate solution from what I can see

fyi, here's my subframe from a few angles with fresh paint.

Mike B
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #243
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer

edit: i don't like tech's picture , but I do like the idea of linking a brace to the swingarm bolt essentially turning the rear into a triangle

Mike B
Old 11-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #244
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post

2 piece design,,,,,,,,bracket at swingarm bolt wraps arround the vertical tube,,and has 2 bolts welded to it.........

The support bolts on there and runs up to the footpeg mount a bolts and bolts there,this strengthens that tube alot.......then it goes up and bolts where the seat bolts on..then bolts at the very rear......all stress relays down to the strongest part of the bike,,,the swingarm mount..

make it so

I`m no designer,,and can barely draw...but bracing off where the passenger pegs mount is just going to break that tube..you need a stronger tube to brace off of..

B
Lets see how much I can remember from my statics and dynamics class. The rear subframe is a long fulcrum with the pivot point being the first weld coming forward. To reduce/eliminate this stress you need to find a point far aft on the subframe and transfer that load forward and down. If you connect the aftmost point on the subframe with the point marked in green that should take the torsional load and transfer it to the frame.

If you want more stress relieve on the subframe connect from the just forward of the rear weld to the same mounting point in green. These two memembers will transfer stresses to the lower part of the main frame.

My 2c. But hey I am not a Mechanical engineer!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #245
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Lets see how much I can remember from my statics and dynamics class. The rear subframe is a long fulcrum with the pivot point being the first weld coming forward. To reduce/eliminate this stress you need to find a point far aft on the subframe and transfer that load forward and down. If you connect the aftmost point on the subframe with the point marked in green that should take the torsional load and transfer it to the frame.

If you want more stress relieve on the subframe connect from the just forward of the rear weld to the same mounting point in green. These two memembers will transfer stresses to the lower part of the main frame.

OK that dose IT I am sending you that rack for free
God Damn did you get all that from that teeter totter vidieo
here is spud strut please note that the down tubes are bent in the middle where the spud struts attach , this is the strong point and perfect place to land

jungleplant screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 08:07 PM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #246
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
OK that dose IT I am sending you that rack for free
God Damn did you get all that from that teeter totter vidieo
here is spud strut please note that the down tubes are bent in the middle where the spud struts attach , this is the strong point and perfect place to land
Let me get to work and I will make the drawings all purty.

F*CK CANCER
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #247
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 285
Sorry, guys I don't have a lot of wisdom to add, but I thought I'd point out the simple solution that Twisted Throttle has come out with. I'd love to see some improvement on their design. I do know that the are in the midst of a slight redesign b/c the original versions did not allow enough bend/room for aftermarket pipes/exhaust...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6887/667/
Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #248
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Here are my thoughts on the subframe. This should distribute the load onto the lower portions of the frame.

Name:  650L subframe.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  98.4 KB

F*CK CANCER
Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #249
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Here are my thoughts on the subframe. This should distribute the load onto the lower portions of the frame.

Attachment 303043
thats great go ahead and make it so captn,
and send me a functional prototye

Old 11-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #250
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
Lets see how much I can remember from my statics and dynamics class.

I do electrical sh*t, not this mechanical stuff. I have a tough time remembering lefty loosy, right tighty.

Isn't it easy peasy, just three pieces of aluminum, drill some holes. Sheesh you mechanical types. I mean its not like its an electrical problem, now those are tough.

F*CK CANCER
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #251
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
I do electrical sh*t, not this mechanical stuff. I have a tough time remembering lefty loosy, right tighty.

Isn't it easy peasy, just three pieces of aluminum, drill some holes. Sheesh you mechanical types. I mean its not like its an electrical problem, now those are tough.

oh you did enough with making all that since, thanks alot , now it will prolly work

jungleplant screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 01:40 PM
Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #252
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,456
Bolt on Gussets?

I have been thinking about this a bit. Since the other best method of adding strength to the frame is by welding gussets. If the stress is caused by up and down forces it seems to me that using flat material cut in a similar fashion to the gussets already being used but making then a bolt on assembly may work. I wonder if this was designed correctly if the the plate could bolted on with a clamp to the lower or upper frame tube if need be. I have been wanting to check this out but never find time to do so. Looking at the pictures of the naked frame it looks like it may be possible. The bolt on gussets may need to be larger than the weld on type but would have a smaller overall profile than using long struts. Is this an idea that is worth looking into? I will most likely never find time.

Mike
Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #253
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I have been thinking about this a bit. Since the other best method of adding strength to the frame is by welding gussets. If the stress is caused by up and down forces it seems to me that using flat material cut in a similar fashion to the gussets already being used but making then a bolt on assembly may work. I wonder if this was designed correctly if the the plate could bolted on with a clamp to the lower or upper frame tube if need be. I have been wanting to check this out but never find time to do so. Looking at the pictures of the naked frame it looks like it may be possible. The bolt on gussets may need to be larger than the weld on type but would have a smaller overall profile than using long struts. Is this an idea that is worth looking into? I will most likely never find time.

Mike
Hi mike
how are thing over there. good i hope , have you seen the new superduty rack for the xt225 ?
I think what spud has so far is a gusset sorta just a longer funnier shaped one , and with no welding , no cracking, BINGO
i looked into alum billet clamp on with a bolt sticking out but there 20 bucks each OUCH !!!
I see the problem with the supports from TT , but the riders need a few choices here between cost and quality and of course functionality and the spud strut is better IMO, question i have a xr250L coming over for a rack mount this weekend and is the frame the same as the XR650L, i know the racks are the same , just wandering bout the bat box and muffler and all that stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or is it close enough so i can do the prototype here in the shop,
thanks for stopping by with your input ,,,,,,,,,,,, mike

Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #254
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Attachment 303043

This looks like it'll work. From my "uneducated" point of view , it looks like the red bar will keep the purple bar from pushing too hard in a forward motion on the lower subframe, which is the concern with bolting it there (any why bolting to the swingarm bolt is considered, though it seems tough to do so) Would the blue bar be unnecessary since there is already a straight section of subframe there?

What do you think Mike, doable? Why you need all these pics anyways; don't you have an XR?!

Mike B
Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #255
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
This looks like it'll work. From my "uneducated" point of view , it looks like the red bar will keep the purple bar from pushing too hard in a forward motion on the lower subframe, which is the concern with bolting it there (any why bolting to the swingarm bolt is considered, though it seems tough to do so) Would the blue bar be unnecessary since there is already a straight section of subframe there?

What do you think Mike, doable? Why you need all these pics anyways; don't you have an XR?!

Mike B
the closer we get to the triangle the better , but there is stuff in the way i am sure , we will get close enough,
I have a 250L and a 650L coming over this weekend to play with . so i should have a prototype by monday
will send you a set when they come out of the laser. so you can check them out ok,
good to see you back safe and sound , mike
hey does any know what happened to the guy that won the first raffle,
PS I ask biggie for some pics and he came trough big time thanks mike