Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #16
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Thanks for the compliment, would love to go, couldn't keep up with the Beast though...
next time then...with a 705. this storm coming up the coast might reach you. reminds me of riding in the tail end of that hurricane last season and lucking into some shelter at Cape St. George.

power was out 5 times over night, but back on for my gourmet breakfast.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #17
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 474
Thought you'd be gone at the crack of dawn.
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Delayed again

in the RED zone along the coast here, there's just no way i could leave my wonderful wife to face this hurricane alone, so...

i decided on a faux report, ya know, just to get things moving.

"It was a howling stormy night, black as a mine shaft, wind and rain whipping past the eaves, the house yielding to an occasional shudder. The old house was braced, corners to the wind, another chapter in a century of tests, and a certain elegance in the effort. The house was built by the same family of men who built the ships that sailed these now storm tossed waters, and built to last through tests of time and nature, still standing against current threat.

I awoke from fitful sleep, fearsome dreams of old Irene, a nemesis, albeit intruder into the peaceful existence of this household. A bold tapping at the door, aha, i can guess at the being demanding entrance.

I racked a shell into the sawn off 12ga pump I keep handy, there's only one thing in the entire world that makes that click-clack sound. Down the stairs, padding silently towards the door, murderous intent, the weapon in my hands sure to make a bloody oozing corpse no one could ever put back together. Flipping the lock lefthanded, the door swung open with a crash, backlit with lightning, devilish Irene forced her way in. Firing from the hip, the muzzle flash licked out in the dark like an arc flash, a wild tongue of flame and lead leaping towards Irene. Click-clack, then another shattering roar..."

to be continued...
Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #19
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Thought you'd be gone at the crack of dawn.

nope.

finished the Ark and got it loaded before lunch. had plenty of material left over, so now i'm working on my new backyard trebouchet, a monster of a contraption. face it, i'm getting off this island one way or another.

i'm not sure whether these things are approved for civilian use, so anyone reading this, please, no cops.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post

"It was a howling stormy night, black as a mine shaft, wind and rain whipping past the eaves, the house yielding to an occasional shudder. The old house was braced, corners to the wind, another chapter in a century of tests, and a certain elegance in the effort. The house was built by the same family of men who built the ships that sailed these now storm tossed waters, and built to last through tests of time and nature, still standing against current threat.

I awoke from fitful sleep, fearsome dreams of old Irene, a nemesis, albeit intruder into the peaceful existence of this household. A bold tapping at the door, aha, i can guess at the being demanding entrance.

I racked a shell into the sawn off 12ga pump I keep handy, there's only one thing in the entire world that makes that click-clack sound. Down the stairs, padding silently towards the door, murderous intent, the weapon in my hands sure to make a bloody oozing corpse no one could ever put back together. Flipping the lock lefthanded, the door swung open with a crash, backlit with lightning, devilish Irene forced her way in. Firing from the hip, the muzzle flash licked out in the dark like an arc flash, a wild tongue of flame and lead leaping towards Irene. Click-clack, then another shattering roar..."

to be continued...
Boy got talent!

"Durn it, Mr. Rocks, you use yer tongue purtier than a twenty dollar whore!"

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #21
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Boy got talent!

Kind of reminds me of Vermin. I wonder what happened to Cack? Hang in there and have a good trip whenever it starts, we be watching.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Boy got talent!

well, ah, thanks, although i gotta tell ya that the last reviewer said "hundred dollar"...must be an indicator of the looming double dip.

i did get an unsolicited review of one of my ride reports from a for real editor type person..."entertaining, but nothing we would EVER consider publishing"...so there it was, in an instant, my dime novel career straight down the damn tubes.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #23
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
...Hang in there and have a good trip whenever it starts, we be watching.
crazy around here, the usually nonchalant-about-storms people are taking this one seriously. store shelves stripped, gas lines, chain saws sold out, etc.

i'm in much better shape than most, now a waiting game for that stalker bitch Irene.

gotta run, working on the trebouchet. test fire tonight under cover of darkness using a '61 pea green Rambler. gonna try to hit the mainland.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #24
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
well, ah, thanks, although i gotta tell ya that the last reviewer said "hundred dollar"...must be an indicator of the looming double dip.

Quote:
i did get an unsolicited review of one of my ride reports from a for real editor type person..."entertaining, but nothing we would EVER consider publishing"...so there it was, in an instant, my dime novel career straight down the damn tubes.
I sent in a 200-word (?) submission to Rider magazine once that had to answer, "Why I love motorcycle touring" or someshit. It was GREAT until the end, when I had to cut it short.

I didn't even get a goddam "honorable mention"!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
I didn't even get a goddam "honorable mention"!
don't feel bad, might be better than getting your stuff back with an attached rejection note, like "this is pure crap ya dumbass, quit now, my six year old can do better"...something like that. puts a damper on your literary career plans.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:44 AM   #26
kidcallahan
Dempter or Bust

Oddometer: 81
Sweeeeeetttt!!!!!!!

Wow. Love it. Let me know if you need me take it off your hands when you are done with it. I think I remember reading that you wanted to build another one anyways.I'm looking for a bike for my cousin from London for a trip next summer we are planning on doing around the USA. That might just be the ticket.

Enjoy the trip.
kidcallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #27
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcallahan View Post
Wow. Love it. Let me know if you need me take it off your hands when you are done with it.
thanks, but i've barely gotten the thing dusty yet. it would be a good choice for your big tour.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #28
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
Have a fantastic trip, Dave! I'll be watching it enviously, doing my best to enjoy it vicariously since I won't be doing a fall trip myself this year due to the broken femur I'm currently nursing -- more info here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715517

The bike looks great, and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time!

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #29
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
...I won't be doing a fall trip myself this year due to...
i'm more used to your excellent photography of bikes and landscape features, not bones and titanium. holy smokes.

heal up my friend, that 800 will want some exercise come spring.

glad to see the local riders are lending a hand as needed, you have a good bunch of friends up there.

we met at Relais Gabrial on the 389 almost exactly a year ago, man, how time flies.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #30
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

power back on 30 minutes ago, whew. 700,000 in Virginia and 2,000,000 total still without.

departure Tuesday, almost two weeks late due to business demands and then, Irene. fooyoo both work and Irene, i'm outta here.

geeeez, let's get this show on the road.