Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #46
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuff View Post
You be sure to check in when you get up here my friend. Ride safe.

i'll cross into BC, but it will be up on 16, not near your location. you get your build project on the road?
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:05 AM   #47
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Cool way to make use of that trebouchet ...
thanks, but my wife thinks it's an eyesore, has it on Ebay already. damn, i was going give rides when i got back, $50 a shot.

same itinerary, unless it snows.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #48
Cuff
no function beer well w/o

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i'll cross into BC, but it will be up on 16, not near your location. you get your build project on the road?
You bet, she's been waking the neighbors up for a coupld of months now. If I can string a couple rest days together might just have to ride out and see you. Btw, no snow yet.

IBA# 38547

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...er/1446/sort/3
Cuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #49
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
How far west are you heading on 16? If you make it as far as Prince George and need a place to crash, there's tent space a-plenty or a spare room if you need a break from the elements... and I'd gladly trade a cold beer or two for a chance to see that beast of yours up close!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #50
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuff View Post
You bet, she's been waking the neighbors up for a coupld of months now. If I can string a couple rest days together might just have to ride out and see you. Btw, no snow yet.

sure, come on over. watch the SPOT tracking, we'll see if we can coordinate. it's been done before, easy if you can get real time tracking via a smart phone.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #51
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
How far west are you heading on 16? If you make it as far as Prince George and need a place to crash, there's tent space a-plenty or a spare room if you need a break from the elements... and I'd gladly trade a cold beer or two for a chance to see that beast of yours up close!

thanks for the generous offer. i need to change a rear tire in Alberta or BC, maybe i can stretch it that far. going up the Cassier, so i'm routed through PG. i'll see if i can check in when i get closer.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #52
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

first partial day on the TAT with the V649HP. if i can get caught up, you'll hear about it.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #53
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
Looking at the spot track and "stalking" you. Man, with the roads you are on on the TAT, I'd love to give you a tour out here in eastern MT. Ah well, maybe next time.

The ole "cop motor" is keeping the spot markers spaced pretty far apart on 40. Looks like she's running hard and making time.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #54
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
crash pad in middle tn avalible!

pm'd you for the details
Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #55
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,852
Looks like a good start there JD. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the beast does on the eastern TAT.

6 days and counting until my dad and I take off for our own TAT adv.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #56
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,790
I'm In...

This sounds tooooo good not to follow along. Ride safe, awesome looking bike.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #57
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

On the bike for the first time with all the gear, I settled in after hitting the county line, nothing quirky, pointed straight. I didn’t need many miles to appreciate the new shock performance, the ride was noticeably smoother over any lumps and bumps fully loaded.

I pass many downed trees thanks to Irene, both line and utility crews working here and there. The air was full of pine scented ambrosia, again thanks to high winds thrashing our local stands of Loblollys, the sap was flowing. Little local traffic, and I was out on I64 westbound at 80, gotta let the beast run, man, there’s some serious iron churning away inside that cop motor.

I had a good run going, but stopped at a rest area to fix the SPOT, the damn LEDs weren’t blinking the way they should. I had hardly shut the bike off when a tattoo boy rushed up with a “What IS that?”, but I think he was under the influence of some mind baffling cocktail, so I gave him the canned abbreviated response. His pupils were like saucers and I swear his ears were vibrating, the piercings up there making a very out of season jingle bell sound. He was whacked, and finally stumbled away. If he ever gets tinnitus, he’ll have his own built in jazz band.

Just as I got rid of him, a Cub Scout troop filed past, silently checking out the bike, keeping their distance…except the last kid with the mini spike who came right over and said “Hey, cool bike!”. To tell the truth, I wasn’t too sure about him either, edgy as hell, and looked like he was about to jump clean out of those sneakers. I think what was really on his mind was to ditch the rest of the troop and go someplace quiet…to play with matches.

I could have stayed there and been entertained all day, or I could ride to North Carolina. Better get on the bike, pronto, and I was back on the road, still westbound.

The plan was to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way down to Asheville, but with a late start, I didn’t think I could make it. I ran past the Parkway entrance to get fuel, then a quick three mile backtrack. There used to be fuel at the entrance, but no more.

My first thought after a few miles was “Where the hell is everyone, I’ve got the place to myself”, not that it was something to complain about. Very few vehicles, more bikes than cars. Strangely, all the bikes were northbound, mostly Harleys, with a few other big cruisers. Wonderful bike road, no enforcement around, but I didn’t overdo it.

Big vistas, even with the leaves still on the trees, the view can also be fogged or smogged in so you can’t see a thing.

There is development along the entire Parkway, some intrusive, in other areas, not. The section in Virginia above Roanoke is particularly nice, and I thought the estate of this Christmas tree grower fit in pretty well.

I was on the gas, but managed a few photo stops. These rock faces were fascinating, apparently natural, I saw no evidence of blasting during the construction of the road.

The area around Roanoke was forgettable, local commuters on and off the Parkway to get home. The Parkway from here south does not have the limited access you might expect. Got the bird from a fat girl, ok, I was tailgating with the LED lights on. When I scooted past on the double yellow, she was blinking like crazy. Might have gotten a death ray reflection from the rear view mirror, probably seeing little spots and not the road. So that became my new SOP, slow vehicles got the double death ray, and if there wasn’t a convenient overlook, the driver would damn near steer off into the ditch. Weirdly entertaining, cagers not amused.

Sun low, and I’m not close. I would have been fairly close, but had to run what must have been a twenty mile “detour” around some Parkway road repair work. Now the sun is gone, as I stop for a last photo. Evening in these ancient, now shrunken and low mountains is special.

It was full dark when I blew into Blowing Rock, North Carolina, a full 100 miles short, oh well. I chose the Blowing Rock Inn because I could park the bike in front of the door. Accommodations were ok, but don’t stay there unless you tolerate a manager with a bad attitude. If I wasn’t so beat after a long day, I would have walked out.

Enjoyed the ride and the rat ran flawlessly, I could have asked for more, but I’ll gladly settle for that.

(to be continued)

jdrocks screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 09:25 AM
Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #58
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post

The ole "cop motor" is keeping the spot markers spaced pretty far apart on 40. Looks like she's running hard and making time.
sure was a big sprint that day out on I40, track points closer together on the gravel.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 AM   #59
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
crash pad in middle tn avalible!

pm'd you for the details
thanks for the offer, pm'd ya back.

...i'm past your location.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #60
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post

6 days and counting until my dad and I take off for our own TAT adv.
you're well traveled this season, been some places.

some strange routing out there, but you already know that. hot and dry Tennessee west.

have a fantastic ride with your father, something to be treasured.