User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964
VStrom Skid Plate.....

I will report back to this thread....as I abuse the plate, but initial impressions are exceptional.
The plate thickness and the cutouts and the welds are of a very, very high quality.

This is the key!!!!! This piece is the key. I had a TouraTech plate and this one (on the TouraTech) broke twice. The first time, TouraTech, set me a replacement....second time, they refused. You can see from the pics that Yan is providing a very, very stout brace!!!!!! I can't wait to thrash it for a test.

The instructions are in color and awesome.....

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

I am very impressed with this product!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcosis junky View Post
I have done a lot of changes to my products.
So here is a new post. Thank you,
Enduro guardian
V-strom after market stuff. skid plates,radiator guards,oil cooler guards,lift kits.

I make Skid plates for The Suzuki V-strom 650 and 1000.

I design and make this product my self. I work for a fabrication shop and I contract the lazer, press brake, and powder coating through them. I do the welding and grinding.
I sell the Steel Skid Plate for $130 Powder coated black
I sell the Stainless skid plate for $190 Powder coated black
I sell the Aluminum skid plate for $200 Powder coated black
I sell the mounting bracket for $35 with hardware(yes, you need the bracket and hardware)
Custom paint color is $10 more
Hardware Up grade is $10 more
Total $165 for the standard steel skid plate package.
The Radiator guards are a limited edition. Only 25.

Radiator guards are $100 Mirror finish stainless.
Oil cooler guards are $50 Mirror finish stainless.
1"Lift kits are $50 1/4" stainless

Shipping for skid plates, I ship UPS in the US and USPS for International. It is the cheapest.
West coast comes out to be between $12 and $18
East coast comes out to be between $22 and $26
Canada comes out to be about $52
Other country's between $82 (England) and $120 (Australia)

P/S The skid plate is designed to deflect rocks/gravel, small objects. It's designed to protect your oil filter, oil cooler, exhaust. It is not designed to be used as a belly ramp to go over logs and jumping buildings. If you choose to do that, you are doing it at your own risk. Yes the product is very strong, but it is only as strong as the tube guard that it is mounted to. So I'm not liable if damage is done to your bike.
Reasons for the design.
I didn't like the after market ones because they are expensive and cheaply made. I had an aluminum one that I paid $219. It had cut outs on the bottom for the exhaust. So it didn't protect the exhaust. And first time off road, The aluminum skid plate got all bent up. So I decided on inventing and making my own. I work for a fabrication shop. So I decided to get creative on my Solid works Program.

The things I wanted out of a skid plate:
To protect The exhaust.
To protect the Oil filter.
To protect the Oil cooler.
To be able to lift the whole bike from under the skid plate.
To be strong and tough.
To look good.
To adapt to both Givi and Motech Crash bars and several other brands.
And easy to install.
What I didn't want:
holes on the bottom where sticks could poke through.
a hole to drain the oil. It doesn't work. you end up making a mess.
A hole to change the filter. That would take away the protection I tried to give the oil filter.
If you can get your hand in there, imagine what else will get in.

So this is what I came up with.

Of course it took a few tries and a few designs to perfect it. But I was Happy with the final product.

Now that I had designed the skid plate. I had to tackle the next problem.
The mounting bracket. The one that came with my aluminum skid plate was thin, cheap, and flimsy. I kept bending it.
So I decided that I had to create a new one and much stronger. The kind that a Duel Sport bike should have. I believe if you are going to protect your investment (Motorcycle) then you have to do it right.

Here is a comparison of the competitions bracket and My bracket.
My bracket is 1/4" thick and made of steel. Powder coated in black.

And of course, every one wants the hardware supplied with the Skid plate and bracket.
So, I put together a hardware kit. Every thing you need to install the skid plate.

Now I ask that when you order, you specify the type of bolts you want under the skid plate.
Hex? or pan head? I suppy pan head bolts only on request.

The Upgrade Hardware kit allows you to have pan head bolts go in from the front of the skid plate So you don't have nuts sticking out. Some people like that better.
The Upgrade consists of 5/16" stainless button head bolts and machined blocks that go on the back of the crash bars.

The install

Very important, you must lube the stainless bolts on the bottom. I use mild lock tight. You can also use anti seize, or oil. You are bolting a stainless bolt into a stainless lock nut. Both are stainless. If you use excessive force, they will seize. If you use an impact they will seize. If you use a cheater bar they will seize. As long as you use lube, they will not seize. If you choose to not use some kind of lube, and they seize up, You will be sorry. So please use a lube. The other fasteners are not as sensitive. But the two bolts on the bottom matter. I go the extra mile to tig weld two stainless nylock nuts to avoid rust issues. If I use steel nuts and steel bolts, then you would have to deal with rust. Not a good choice, so use lube on the stainless. Please.

First you need to get your bike off of your kick stand. Use a duel kick stand if you have one.
DL1000 owners, you need to remove the plastic skid plate and the two mounting brackets on the sides.

DL 650 and DL1000:
You will have to remove the bolt that holds your exhaust and the two bolts that hold your kick stand. You can use a 12" extension and a wobbly to reach from the opposite side. It works really well.

Then you need to install the bracket.

Then you put both U-bolts on the front of your crash bars. I use a piece inner tube with 4 holes.
Anything works. it's just to put a layer between the skid plate and the crash bar. It will also work as a dampener for vibration. And it holds the U-bolts in position. It's not mandatory to put something there. It just helps to hold the U-bolts in position.

Then I hold up the front of the skid plate and bolt the front on. I use the second set of holes. I bolt it on loosely.

Then I raise the rear up to the bracket and install the two bolts. Remember to lube these two bolts. They are both stainless bolts and stainless lock nuts. If you don't put oil,grease,lock tight or some thing, they will seize permanently. Once everything is screwed in, Tighten all the nuts and bolts. And you are done.

Now here is more info on the product.
All skid plates are powder coated black unless special ordered.
Steel is 11 gauge. (1/8" steel) weight about 11 lbs.
Stainless is also 11 gauge. weight about 11.5 lbs. (hardest material)(no rust)
Aluminum is 3/16 and weight is about 6 lbs.( softer material)
The bracket is 1/4" steel. Powder coated black.
The bottom bolts are 3/8" bolts.
The front U-bolts are 1/4"
The two Kick stand bolts are M12 x 1.25 X 35
The exhaust bolt is M8 x 1.25 x 2"
When ready to order:
Send me a E-mail with your order and zip code so I can look up the shipping.
Then I will send you a PayPal invoice. Once payment is received, I will ship the product.

Payment options
I take PayPal, money orders. I will do checks, but I will wait for them to clear. (I don't like checks) but will accept them. I sell these for half of what you would pay in a retail store. This is made in the USA.
So I don't make much of a profit. The prices are what they are.
If you have questions, you can E-mail me.
Yann D.
Yann_dex@msn.com
Enduro.guardian@gmail.com
(541)896-1205
(541)912-1205
Located in Oregon,
USA, 97404
Please post pictures of your skid plate mounted if you can. On this thread.
Or e-mail me pics if you can. Thank you.
Pictures of skid plate on other V-strom 650 and 1000

Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

I am very pleased with the fit and finish upon installation. I wish the TouraTech plate had been build this stout.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
I agree that Yann's new skid plate is fantastic! I installed one a few weeks ago, and it's first-rate. Also worth pointing out is that he changed the design recently so that the rear attachment points for the plate to the bracket are on the sides now, instead of the bottom of the plate where they could drag on rocks and get all bunged up. That's a huge improvement IMHO.

I mounted mine onto Altrider crashbars. It fits perfectly with these bars, if you use the deluxe mounting hardware. The Altrider crash bars are too thick to be able to use the u-bolts in the standard skid plate hardware kit.

There really is no better V-Strom skid plate on the market today IMO (and his radiator guard is pretty darn nice too)

-John
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,836
+1 from me as well!

I installed one of Yann's Skid Plate's on my DL1000 over the winter. I have bashed it, scrapped it, made it go "Clang" and its been $$ well spent! I do follow his instructions and touch up the scratches with some Tremclad each oil change, but I'm very pleased.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 678
I've also been quite pleased with mine since I got it last spring. No dents in it so far, but I've recoated it several times due to a lot of scrapes on the bottom. That is most certainly not a knock on this product, for me it says how durable it has really been since there isn't a single dent despite how much of whatever it's been coated with has come off.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
stromv
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb durable and strong for the abuse

I have been through some tough terrain lately, big rock, mud... you name it
this plate is strong!! it broke a few rocks in my path and did not even dent a touch. I have been contemplating the idea of getting a Tourateck just because it's smaller and sleek but I just can't get the protection this plate provide. I am keeping it as I feel comfortable with in the challenge. Yann is very nice and helpful, and uses good material.
Also this plate mounts to the crash bars and muffler bolt and the kickstand mount, so you know your engine will be safe
as it had no contact with the abuse points.
stromv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Nightstrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
That does look great. I may upgrade mine over the winter........ But, there is really no reason that a oil drain hole shouldnt come with any skidplate. I guess one could be made, but I'd rather have one already there.
Nightstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstrom View Post
That does look great. I may upgrade mine over the winter........ But, there is really no reason that a oil drain hole shouldnt come with any skidplate. I guess one could be made, but I'd rather have one already there.
If you read Yann's reasoning... if there is a hole to get something out, then there is a hole for something to get in. The amount of "extra" time it takes to remove it is negligible. I can do my whole oil change is about 30 minutes. That includes removing the skid plate, draining and replacing the oil, cleaning the plate and giving it a quick scuff with some rust paint and then re-installing the whole shebang. Oh, and all while consuming a Heineken.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I too, am ready to pull the trigger on a skid plate for my Vee.

I originally was looking at the Enduro Guardian skid plates, but then I started looking at the SW Motech aluminum skid plates, which look very nice too.

Im just not crazy about the price of the SW Motech...the plates somewhat reasonable, but then you have to buy the additional mount seperately, which adds considerably to the price.

After reading these reviews on the Enduro Guardians, Im ready to go back to them though.

Biggest question I have, is between the steel plates and the aluminum plates.

I have no doubt the aluminum one could take anything thrown at it after running them for years on dirt bikes so it isnt so much the strength issue Im concerned about.

Its more about the weight...these behemoth bikes are already heavy enough, just how heavy are these steel plates?

I am however, very attracted to the price on the steel one.

Whats everyone out there running on their scoots??

Help me make up my mind, please!
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Hmmm.... Saw these skid plates a while back and was curious how they were working out. Looks like I might be picking up a steel one pretty soon. Glad to see they are working as good as they look. Too bad places like touratech can't manufacture this quality for this price (especially since I live an hour from the store)
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Bump...regarding my previous question. Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
wingnut11
generally strange

I haven't weighed mine but if I remember the shipping label said it was 12-15 lbs. but don't really count on my memory here.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
I haven't weighed mine but if I remember the shipping label said it was 12-15 lbs. but don't really count on my memory here.
You bought a steel one then?

Does it feel like the door off of an armored tank, or just heavy duty feeling?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
wingnut11
generally strange

Yes, I bought the steel version. I'm not sure I understand the armor question, but I think I'd have to hit it very hard with a large hammer to dent it. It's heavy duty for sure. I'm always thankful it's there after bottoming out on rocks or anything else.