User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
tim007 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 470
OMFG klr 650 wobble help!!!!!!!!

Ok so mk klr650 has a horible wobble from the front end .. iit sucks. Its making me not like this bike (and I love iit) I have not had it for a long time and I comute withh it every now and then 100miles.
It has shinko 205 tires. Or something like that there a 50/50tire. Thw wobbble is defiinatly fron end it is at 55-75mph. At sslow speeeds I can feel a small wobble but at speed its fucked up .. any slight wind or movment by me on the bike and im all over my lane its a fucken deathtrap help!!!!!!!!! Any and all ideas are welcome. And if you hapen to live in portland oregon or vancouver washingto n you can drive the fooker to feel it as its hard to describe I wwould love to drive thiis bike all the time but if this persiists iim going to have to burn the fooker

Thank you all in advance
tim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
okiebuckout
Dirt Diver

Oddometer: 74
Mine does this also at speeds above 65, but it is usually when there is a strong head or side wind. I have read that the handguards, and front fender are a big cause. Some suggest getting an aftermarket fender to replace the sail that it comes with. Others suggest smaller stiffer handguards, and still others suggest getting a fork brace. The fender is a cheap trial. $30 shipped for my new fender. It is a KTM supermoto front fender which I just got today, so I should find out this weekend if it works. Do a search here or on KLR650.net, there is a lot of threads on this topic at the KLR site.

Good Luck.
okiebuckout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
tim007 OP
Banned

I also got told psi but what psi to run on higway. I have a ktm sumo front fender and also mayer handguards. This is also on klr:net
Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,798
We're going to need more info. Tire condition? What year's the bike? How many miles? Were the tires balanced? Steering head bearings ok? Ever been wrecked? Air pressure ok? Luggage? How's the suspension setup? Wheel bearings ok? It's going to be one or a combination of the above. Start with the easiest and keep working on it, You'll figure it out.
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
tim007 OP
Banned

Its an 07 tiires are only have 100miles on them I have ammo cqns on the back suspension stock rear set on secons setting. Po recently did all maiintiinence like wheelbearings aswell as swing arm bearings ect. Bike has 19000 miles
Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim007 View Post
Its an 07 tiires are only have 100miles on them I have ammo cqns on the back suspension stock rear set on secons setting. Po recently did all maiintiinence like wheelbearings aswell as swing arm bearings ect. Bike has 19000 miles
Is it something new or did it start recently, like after the new tires were put on?
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Irnworker433
XR650RRRRRRRR

Oddometer: 98
stabilizer.

Try a scotts or gpr steering stabilizer. Theres others too.
Irnworker433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,331
Remove ammo cans,

check axle torques

tighten steering head bearings

run full rear preload

raise forks in triple trees 5-10 mm

35 PSI in tires while on road

no death grip on the bars
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Ok so mk klr650 has a horible wobble from the front end .. iit sucks. ...
Thank you all in advance
I had something very similar happen to my Ninja 250. I had a fairly new economy tire, all of a sudden I got a wicked shimmy above about 55 mph.

I had a mechanic check the bike over. He said it was probably an internal failure of the front tire, since everything checked out. A new front tire fixed the problem.

You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
- Dave Barry
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
tim007 OP
Banned

Im thinking it will be the tire aswell as the psi as the pis right now is in the 20s and the tire is a dot knobbie. Can't get rid of the ammo cans as they hold all my shit for school aswell as my rain gear and cold weather gear for just incases moments. Not alot of weight just stuff lol. And I would love to do a scoots dampnier but im short fundadge .. but if you want to donate im all for it :) ill check the sterring steem bearings tomorow and is soon as I hqve fundage im thinking im going to get some shinko 705's For better street manors maybe
Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
What's the pavement surface like when you feel the wobble?

Some of the freeways around here have grooves cut into them that run latterly/with the direction of traffic, and they suck big time at speed!
With my Shinko 244 50/50 tires, it can be downright scary.

I also suggest that you remove the ammo cans, just as a test, to see if helps alleviate the issue at all. You might also try getting your weight forward like you would in heavy wind.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
tim007 OP
Banned

I will see if I can do things tomorow I have an area to try items after each adjustment
Old 08-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
I will see if I can do things tomorow I have an area to try items after each adjustment
Check at klr650.net for a better chance at help.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
tim007 OP
Banned

Yeah im on klrnet awsell. I put this everywhere .. it helps in cqsting a big net to get alot of answers to the issu

Ok psi is uped tto 33 all around up from 23 lol .. also tthe sterring head is ok but is a litle loose not the loos that alows there to be any clunking just loose as in thhere is no drag on the bearing and I guess there is suposed to ba some drag .. like a car tire bearing. You want some drag so I will remove ittems and add some drag lol. And retest
Old 08-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,331
Quote:
Yeah im on klrnet awsell. I put this everywhere .. it helps in cqsting a big net to get alot of answers to the issu

Ok psi is uped tto 33 all around up from 23 lol .. also tthe sterring head is ok but is a litle loose not the loos that alows there to be any clunking just loose as in thhere is no drag on the bearing and I guess there is suposed to ba some drag .. like a car tire bearing. You want some drag so I will remove ittems and add some drag lol. And retest
I think upping the preload on the rear shock will help a bit as well. The stock KLR suspension is super soft. I'm about 200lb and never could anywhere near the proper sag setting at the back with the stock spring.

Raise the rear, it will help.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote