Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
Gruesome OP
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 617
Atlantis 4 - brief report (prices, buying, hot weather)

Source & pricing: German ebay regularly has dealers (I assume they are dealers, or people selling non-moving stock for dealers) selling Atlantis 4 jackets and pants around 400 euros (each).
A BMW dealer near Chicago (who did not stock the suit) was offering 20% discount on the $1800 US MSRP (before tax) without much prodding on my part.
An alternative solution would be to try to get a discount from an authorized European dealer (15%, resulting in a price of 1260 euros, currently $1800, were offered), and then get the VAT refund (19% in the case of Germany) at the airport. The lines at the VAT export booth were very short at Paris CDG airport. No idea what one does though if a whole plane load of Japanese tourists with Vuitton bags is in line in front of you. I hadn't researched US discounts yet at that point, so I couldn't buy during that trip to Europe.
I did try on both size 52 euro/42 US (my normal size) and 54/44, and decided on 54 so I'd be able to fit an extra fleece under the jacket during the colder months.

Buying & shipping experience: Late June I pulled the trigger on a size 54 combo. (Total price a bit over 800 euros including shipping, about $1100.)
The particular ebay seller I dealt with would not ship directly to the US. I specified a German delivery address. Getting paypal to accept my credit card was an exercise in frustration. PP saw 'a high risk of failure' (their words) in the transaction if paid for via CC, but apparently were perfectly willing to let me take that risk by paying directly from a bank account... Very funny. In the end paypal accepted a different CC.
DHL shipping to the US was also more exciting than necessary, all tracking information stopped at Frankfurt airport, and I had already initiated a lost package investigation when the suit showed up after three weeks (two weeks late).

Hot weather experience: I wore the suit for two 20 minute rides in 90+ degree weather. It did not feel uncomfortably hot while moving or at red light stops (whereas an old Harro leather combo definitely does at those temperatures), but my T-shirt was still pretty soaked afterwards. I think the relatively stiff back protector helps, as it creates an air cushion between back and jacket/back protector.
A day later I wore the suit for an hour in highway rush hour traffic, at slightly lower temperatures (high 70s): very comfortable as far as temperature, riding position (on 1150GS), and absence of wind-induced movement are concerned, except for the fact that the top of the back protector seems to hit my neck or helmet. I had not tried the suit on with a helmet before (I did try the different sizes sitting on a GS). If it stays like this I might have to shorten the protector a bit, or buy a slightly smaller protector. Otherwise everything fits as planned, in particular the protectors do not move around as they seem to do in other jackets and protector vests I had tried.

Bugs splatter nicely and can be wiped off with relative ease.

So much for my buying experience and initial impression.

Gruesome screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 08:38 PM Reason: eBay price added
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,344
No love for Aerostich's Transit suit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Gruesome OP
Alter Heizer

cold weather; weight

Cold:
I wore the Atlantis 4 several times for one hour each in the mid-thirties (F, not C...), and it was warm enough with a thin (cashmere) sweater underneath.
UPDATE 10 April 2012: A bit too cold at 39F with just a T-shirt underneath.
Rain:
Dry at interstate speeds for an hour; leather surface at upper arms was soaked, no leakage.

Some weight info for the Atlantis 4 jacket (EU size 54): jacket without armor weighs 1.9 kg, the protectors weighs 1.0 kg, for a total of 2.9 kg (6 lbs). The pants with protectors weigh 2.3 kg (5.1 lbs).
It takes exactly 5 minutes to put the protectors back into the jacket; rolling and folding makes it pretty straightforward. Without the protectors the jacket is definitely wearable for 'normal' non-bike use.
I got used to the size of the back protector. A buff tube solved the neck air intrusion problem.

Gruesome screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 09:24 PM Reason: add weight info for pants
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,469
any more feedback on Atlantis 4 suit?
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Gruesome OP
Alter Heizer

Mine is still waterproof (measured in one hour commute on 1150 GS), and still warm enough in the thirties with a thin sweater and work pants underneath. The zippers are also still holding up, no problems so far, I'm careful though. The fit at the neck is still too loose (and not adjustable), but one of those neck gator tubes fixed that.