Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 279
Time to stop reading about everyone else's dual sport adventure and go on one myself!

This will be my first ever ride report. I have never been on an adventure ride. I'm 39 years old and have been riding motocross bikes since I was 10 years old sprinkled with a couple of crotch rockets here and there.

I don't recall how I came across ADV but after spending time here I fell in love with the idea of adventure riding. Heading off into the wild blue yonder with no real plans or goals except to meet new people, see new places and enjoy the ride sounds so refreshing.

For my first adventure I've decided to go on The Ozarks Beyond Epic Ride September 2 - 5, 2011. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58810
I'm leaving Arlington TX and meeting up with other dual sport riders in Clarksville, AR.

It's about 720 road miles round trip with lots of great trail riding in between.

The Ozark National Forest has over 1000 miles of offroad trails. I can't wait to do this. It's time to stop dreaming about going on an adventure and just do it.

Since it's my first ride report I wanted to share a little bit about my ride history.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)

jtmajors screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 08:50 AM
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

A little bit about my riding history

1978-1982 - Built pretend motocross tracks in my mom's flower bed. Bought a new bike at k-mart at least once a month as the big air I was getting over the flowers broke many of the bikes in half. I spent hours out there building tracks, racing and doing wheelies. It was all pretend but it was those years that my passion for motorcycles began. Evil Kenevil rocked!

1983 - No more dreaming! My dad bought me my first motorcycle. It was a brand new Honda xr80 at the age of 10. My sister taught me how to start, stop and shift gears. My aunt lived in Cloudcroft, NM and when we would visit for the summer my dad would let me take my bike. My aunts backyard was like heaven on earth. There were trails every where! I hated when it was time to go home.

1984 - I was 12 years old and in junior high and all my friends had racebikes. Not much I could do on an xr80 when they all had yz, cr, rm and kx 80's. I begged my dad to buy me a cr80. He told me I had to buy it myself because he had already bought me a bike. They had a brand new one on the showroom floor for $599. I saved my lunch money and my allowance and within a month I had a $100 bucks. I was so proud I told my dad one night at dinner that I had already saved that much money. He must have been proud too because that night he told me to go open up a savings account with my $100 and we would trade in the xr80 and he would pay the difference. Next day I was living large on a brand new cr80.

1984-1986 - Literally some of the best years of my life! All my friends and I did was ride, ride, ride. I grew up in Big Spring, TX and we had a place called the pits, which was our little motocross heaven. We had tracks, jumps and lots of places to hide from the cops when we would run from them riding down the side of the highway!

1986 - 1990 - By this time I had outgrown the 80 and needed something bigger. Part of me was tired of mixing oil with the gas in the 2 stroke racebikes and I kind of missed my 4 stroke xr 80. I wanted to crawl up hills in first gear and explore the backroads of the town so after much begging again my dad traded in the cr80 and bought me a xr200. I loved that bike but a part of me always regretted that decision and longed for a cr125. There was no going back now as there was no way my dad would go for that. Instead I rode the crap out of that bike and treated it like a cr125.

1990 - 1992 - Left for college and never rode. The xr 200 was sold.

1992 - Got married at the young age of 19 and my new wife and I moved to Springfield, MO for me to finish college. She was 18 and it was 2 weeks after she graduated high school and no she wasn't pregnant. Haha! It was a conscious choice because we loved each other. We were young and it was crazy but we did it.

1993 - To many years had passed without a bike and I longed for another. While out one day we passed a car dealership with a bike sitting out front. Stopped to talk to the guy and it was a Yamaha Virago. It looked super clean. He was asking $1800, I said I'll give you $1400 and he said okay. I was back to riding again. This time it was on the street and I was having a blast. Trips from Springfield to Branson for the weekend with just my wife and I were some great times.

1994 - My first son was born. My initial reaction when my wife broke the news to me was that life was over. I told her I was going to have to sell my bike and would probably never get to ride again. Haha! That was a little exaggerated!

1995 - Graduated college and did sell the bike, but not because of my new son. Haha. That year we left Missouri and moved to Dallas, TX to attend grad school.

1996 - Left grad school and moved to Arlington, TX. Again, way to much time had passed and I missed riding. The obsession took over and I found a clean RM 125 at a suzuki dealer. I bought and rode it home about 10 miles away down every sidewalk I could find. It wasn't street legal and I didn't own a truck or a trailer. Arlington, TX is a big metropolitan area that doesn't have a lot of trails. Over the next year I rode that bike on lots of sidewalks to the few trails I could find. I was having a blast but I really just wished I could get on the bike and just ride like I used to when I was kid. That year my 2nd son was born and my reaction was a lot less exaggerated! Haha!

1997 - Sold the RM and bought a Yamaha YZF600. My wife and I were looking at it and talking to the salesman and she says to him, alright I'm done talking and looking why don't you go get it ready for him to take home. I was like are you serious? This is awesome! I knew there was a reason I loved this girl!

1997 - 2000 - Three years of raising hell on the streets of the Dallas Fort Worth area. I was a stupid hooligan on this bike. Somehow me and a buddy who was already half crazy got hooked up with about 150 other hooligans on crotch rockets. We would meet at a whataburger in Dallas every Friday night and raise hell until 2 or 3 in the morning. Running from the cops was a weekly occurrence as well as 150 mph drag races and wheelies down the middle of the hwy. Honestly, I can't believe I survived those three years of my life. I should be dead for sure!

2000-2005 - I knew it was time to get off the streets and I longed to race my bike when I was on it so that crazy buddy and I decided to start racing motocross. We sold our crotch rockets (thank god) and I bought a yz 250 and a trailer. We found every motorcross track in the metroplex and rode all the practice days there were. I never entered a race. Just practiced and practiced. My oldest son was riding a pw50 and I would let him race, but I never did. Deep down I was scared to race and didn't want to lose. My daughter was born during this time period as well, so now I've got three kids and still married to my high school sweetheart.

2006 - It was tiring packing up the bike every weekend along with washing it and maintaining it. I was getting a little burned out and wanted a streetbike again. I was lusting after the new Triumph Daytona 675. One day I bought it and the dirtbikes collected dust while the triumph was all I wanted to ride. I loved that bike, but it was really uncomfortable for long trips. I was now 34 years old and I behaved much better. Only wheelies I did on that bike were down rural country roads. Never did one down the highway. I felt so mature!

2007 - Bought a CRF 250r and entered my first motocross race at village creek motocross park. I was hooked! The rush of 20 guys all screaming their engine at the same time, the gate dropping and hauling ass to that very first corner was exhilarating. I loved it! I started out in the beginner class, but won every race. I really shouldn't have been in that class but I truly was a beginner at racing, just not riding. Moved up to the C class and if you know much about the 250 C class you know that it's full of 14-16 year old kids that will do anything and everything to win. I was a 35 year old father now of 3 that wanted to do everything I could to kick their asses. One day a good friend told me I was going to get killed in that class and that I should start racing with riders my age because we all had to get up on Monday morning and go to work. Those kids never had a thought about the future while they were racing. I took his advice and starting racing in the over 30 class.

2008 - 2010 Bought a 2009 fuel injected CRF 450r. Even though I was getting older my motocross skills were improving. I moved from over 30 D to over 30 C to over 30 B. Those guys were my age and we were all as competitive as hell but we respected each other. I really wanted to get good enough to race over 30 A and go to the Loretta Nationals. I never made it there, though. Don't think I would ever be good enough to move up to over 30 A. That class seems to be filled with ex supercross and motocross pros who ride on a completely different level. I might could ride at that level for half a lap, but no way could I do it the whole race.

2011 - We didn't ride much at all in 2010. Maybe I'm getting old, but I was just truly getting bored with motocross. It's a rush and I may do it again one day in the over 40 class, but for now the gypsy inside me longs to see so much more than just the same tracks over and over again.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)

jtmajors screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 04:25 PM
Old 08-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

Which dual sport should I get?

In about March 2011 somehow I found the ADV forum and I have been hooked ever since. I was a creeper for a couple of months and didn't join until May of this year. Some of the ride reports are so amazing and inspiring. There is something deep inside of me that longs to get on my bike and just ride for the sake of riding and explore the world.

The question was what bike should I do it on? I got about $200 into making my CRF 450 street legal and realized it was too high strung to handle heading cross country. I needed something that was reliable (no more 20 hour valve adjustments and 40 hour complete top end rebuilds), could handle several hundred miles of highway and once I was offroad I wanted something that would go just about anywhere my heart desired.

Bikes I considered:

BMW G Series - 1200 was out because it seemed to big to take down some of the trails I was dreaming about in my mind. 800? Maybe. It stayed on my list for awhile, but eventually took it off because of warranty repairs, expensive parts and it was still probably just a bit to big for what I think I wanted to use the bike for.

Suzuki DR Series and Kawasaki KLR - Owners of these bikes love them. Because of their proven reliability I really considered them both for a long time. No offense to other DR and KLR owners, but they fell off my list because they are outdated IMHO. I come from a world of technologically advanced race bikes. I wanted something similar for my transition into the ADV world. They are great bikes and sometimes I still think maybe I should have got a KLR. Just this week I starting reading about them again.

KTM 690 Enduro R - KTMs are sexy and technologically advanced compared to DRs and KLR's. I spent many hours in the 690 thread and read someone's avatar that said, "the best day of my life was when I bought my KTM and the second best day of my life was when I sold my KTM." People in that forum love their KTMs but they also hate them because of the issues. I had to cross it off my list. Maybe I would be one who had issues and maybe I wouldn't. Thing is I wasn't going to chance it because I did not want anything with the potential of being high maintenance. I was tired of maintenance.

One day I came across a little Yamaha 250 called the WR250R/X. Aside from a chain issue that can be fixed with a 14 tooth front sprocket and proper chain tension these owners love this bike. They rave about it's do anything and go anywhere attitude. Yamaha first offered this bike in 2008 and alot of those same original owners still have them and rave about them. The 26,200 mile valve adjustment interval was extremely appealing along with the 350 watt alternator that could handle gps, phone and heated gear. It also seemed to have decent suspension and was fuel injected.

It was time to stop dreaming about finding the perfect dual sport bike and just freaking get one and go ride, so I decided this was the bike I was going to get for my first stab at Adventure Sport Riding. I had never seen one in person nor had I ever ridden one, but I was obsessed with getting one, mostly, because of ride reports of others who had taken them on adventures and had great success.

jtmajors screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 09:03 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

My first dual sport

I had a hard time finding a 250x or 250r here in Texas. Hardly any dealers had them and the ones who did would barely negotiate. I finally found a 2010 250x with only 347 miles on it. Guy had it for about 9 months and never rode it. It was in show room condition. Paper said he paid $6200 OTD. I bought it from him for $4300 and then went and paid $250 in TTL at the county tax office. It had street tires, but figured I would spend most of my time on the street since I live in a metropolitan area. When I was ready to head to the hills I would throw on some dirt tires.

Here are a few pics I took when I first bought it.

jtmajors screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 10:31 PM
Old 08-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

The farkling has begun!

One of the first changes I made was removing those huge blinkers and tail section. I went with the Edge tail light kit in black smoke because it was clean and small.

At the same time I put on the Zeta armor guards mounting them to the triple clamp with the Zeta side mount, hand guards with blinkers and pro taper handlebars along with soft gel pro grips.

To reduce worries about the chain issue, I replaced the front sprocket cover with a Sandman version so it would fit a 14. Added a supersprox 48 tooth rear and a gold DID x-ring chain. About 300 miles on it so far and still no need to adjust the chain. Bought these quality items because remember I'm looking for low maintenance on this bike.

Other than the promoto billet rack on the rear all of my farkles have been for asthetic reasons only. I know, I know I'm very vain, but I'm getting better. A week ago I didn't even have those gawd awful mirrors on there, but for practical reasons I put them back on.

Time to get serious about practical mods. I leave for my first dual sport adventure in 6 days!

jtmajors screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 05:05 PM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

Almost backed out of going!

I tried to back out of this ride last week as I feel so unprepared. I'm planning on winging this trip. I have made no hotel reservations nor scoped out any places to eat. All I know is it's free to sleep in the national forest and I have a tent and a sleeping bag. I heard about a camping place that has showers on the outskirts of Clarksville, AR but no one has a phone number. I'll have the chance to breath in some fresh mountain air and meet a lot of new people who love what I love. Right now I don't know a single soul who does adventure riding. In the cyber world of ADV I do, but not in real life. Haha!

My wife told me I have to go and don't be a weenie. Just have fun. For those of you wondering who have read all of this, yes she's still the same high school sweetheart from 1992. Take one look and you'll know why! 19 years of marriage with kids 17, 14, and 10. I love this woman and she's drop dead gorgeous. I wish she could go with me, but she would kill me if I made her ride on the little WR for that long. Hell, I might end up killing myself. I'm not sure, I've never rode it that far. I may come home after this trip and buy a freaking Tenere.

jtmajors screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 04:18 PM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

Some practical farkles

With the trip approaching in a week it was time to get practical so I ordered:

1. Deluxe Alaskan Leather Seat Cover - really hope this gets here before I leave. My ass is gonna hurt bad if it doesn't.

2. Shinko 244's for front and rear along with heavy duty tubes. Supposed to get here 9/1 and I leave 9/2. I've decided in my mind that even if they don't get here in time I'm still going and will ride the trails with the motards on if I have, too.

3. Wolfman tank bag. I really want the mini beta plus from wolfman as well, but I've ran out of money so I'm just gonna use my dry bags I bought from www.costco.com and gerry rig them to my bike.

4. My Kathmandu jacket and pants came in from Rocky Mountain ATV. They priced matched the jacket for $199 and the pants for $125 plus I got 10% off. Together it was $291. They seem great quality and fit great. We'll see how they work on this trip. I'll be wearing them with my tech 10 motocross boots.

5. I also added a battery tender cigarette lighter from Amazon and wired it into my bike for my Iphone 4 that I'm mounting using a Ram Mount that I also ordered from Amazon. The app Motion Pro GPS Drive and GPS will guide me along the way. No money for a realy GPS just yet.

Lot's to think about between now and then. I'm sure I'll forget something but I'm going Lord willing.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Great start. Me thinks you have a wonderful life going and a really great lady to share it. Have fun on your ride.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Glock23.40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Go For It.1

Hey jtmajors,

Congratulations on the bike purchase and thanks for sharing your ride history with us. I stumbled upon this forum after reading the TAT reports. I look forward to following you on your adventure by reading about it through ADV. I think that a great part about reading ride reports like yours is getting to know the rider. I can relate to some of your past riding experiences as I spent many a Saturday night meeting up at Whataburger and going to Arlington or some other industrial area on my CBR and watching the drag races and wheelie competitions. I've lived in the metromess since '91 and have only owned street bikes and crotch rockets. Last year I purchased my first dirtbike. Now, I see the merit of both riding styles and feel the need for adventure. I look foreward to posting my first ride report sometime this fall. I don't have much dirt experience yet. I look foreward to reading about your ride. Have fun fun on your three day adventure!
Glock23.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock23.40 View Post
Hey jtmajors,

Congratulations on the bike purchase and thanks for sharing your ride history with us. I stumbled upon this forum after reading the TAT reports. I look forward to following you on your adventure by reading about it through ADV. I think that a great part about reading ride reports like yours is getting to know the rider. I can relate to some of your past riding experiences as I spent many a Saturday night meeting up at Whataburger and going to Arlington or some other industrial area on my CBR and watching the drag races and wheelie competitions. I've lived in the metromess since '91 and have only owned street bikes and crotch rockets. Last year I purchased my first dirtbike. Now, I see the merit of both riding styles and feel the need for adventure. I look foreward to posting my first ride report sometime this fall. I don't have much dirt experience yet. I look foreward to reading about your ride. Have fun fun on your three day adventure!
Haha that's funny. We would leave whataburger from northwest hwy in Dallas off loop 12/i35. From there we did head to Arlington. Actually it's really grand prairie at post and paddock back in the warehouses. We would stay there until the cops came and then go to the 7-11 right down the road. When I got my triumph 675 in 2006 I went there one night and there were only about 5 bikes there. Nothing like it used to be. When did you use to go there?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Man View Post
Great start. Me thinks you have a wonderful life going and a really great lady to share it. Have fun on your ride.
Thanks. She's a keeper for sure.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Glock23.40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Whataburger on northwest hiway....I ran with a buddy of mine that rode an R6. We used to go there in 2000-2002. My wife and I would also ride two-up on the CBR F4i to Sonic in Garland. I also rode with a few Christian groups (Christian Sportbike Association, Christ Rockets, and Fellowhip.com) to see if there were any sportbike roads our area like the ones my friends turned me onto in Austin. Most of the riding took us way North or South of the metroplex. I didn't enjoy the superslab and traffic in full gear to get to the good roads. I did take my bike to the hill country many times around Austin via 2222, Lime Creek Rd, FM 1431..etc. Then, Life got busier and I didn't have the free time to ride. Fast foreward to the present. I have a better work/life balance now. I've been itching to ride again. I bought a used YZ and a couple of atv's for the kids to play in the dirt. I wish I would have done that sooner! Although I don't ride like the teenagers on the track, I still have fun. I stick to the trails while trying to teach myself to not put my knee down in the corners. The kids are getting the hang of the atv's and I like how I can spend the time with the family. A few months ago I was looking for people to ride dirt with when I came across the ADV site. Once I started reading the ride reports and seeing all the cool places people had taken their bikes, I was hooked. I'm in the begining stages of the addiction. Dual sport riding really appeals to me now. I see it as a way to retain the ability to ride with the family and still have the capability to explore the countryside apart from the interstate. Sorry for the rambling post.
Glock23.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
KDouble
AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer: 139
Great start can't wait to see where this goes
KDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock23.40 View Post
Whataburger on northwest hiway....I ran with a buddy of mine that rode an R6. We used to go there in 2000-2002. My wife and I would also ride two-up on the CBR F4i to Sonic in Garland. I also rode with a few Christian groups (Christian Sportbike Association, Christ Rockets, and Fellowhip.com) to see if there were any sportbike roads our area like the ones my friends turned me onto in Austin. Most of the riding took us way North or South of the metroplex. I didn't enjoy the superslab and traffic in full gear to get to the good roads. I did take my bike to the hill country many times around Austin via 2222, Lime Creek Rd, FM 1431..etc. Then, Life got busier and I didn't have the free time to ride. Fast foreward to the present. I have a better work/life balance now. I've been itching to ride again. I bought a used YZ and a couple of atv's for the kids to play in the dirt. I wish I would have done that sooner! Although I don't ride like the teenagers on the track, I still have fun. I stick to the trails while trying to teach myself to not put my knee down in the corners. The kids are getting the hang of the atv's and I like how I can spend the time with the family. A few months ago I was looking for people to ride dirt with when I came across the ADV site. Once I started reading the ride reports and seeing all the cool places people had taken their bikes, I was hooked. I'm in the begining stages of the addiction. Dual sport riding really appeals to me now. I see it as a way to retain the ability to ride with the family and still have the capability to explore the countryside apart from the interstate. Sorry for the rambling post.
When my kids were younger we spent lots of time together packing up the bikes and 4 wheelers and riding together. Enjoy it for as long as you can. We don't ride as a family much anymore. High school sports, girls and friends take up most of their time now. I hope one day as they get older they will get dual sport bikes and we can all go on a cross country trip as a family.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

2 days before launch

Well it's two days before I leave and I'm pumped about the ride. Lots of new things coming in over the next few days.

Got the cigarette lighter wired into the bike along with my ram mount to hold my iPhone that will act as my GPS. The Alaskan leather seat cover came in as well. So happy about that one. 750 hwy miles on the WRX will be better now for sure! Tires and tubes get in tomorrow so will start setting up the bike for off road.

Hoping this will help with the 14 hours of hwy

This was super easy to wire into the bike. Just ran it from the battery up to the handlebars following the normal route of other wires.

Here it is mounted to the bike with my griffin USB adapter

jtmajors screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 07:22 AM