User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
oisterska OP
d00b

Oddometer: 76
A Buell goes to BC

My name is Kellen and I have had an itch for quite a while.* An itch to wander north towards Canada.* So here it goes!

Saturday, 10:15 am: Departure.

My trusty steed (2009 buell xb12xt):

First stop is at my friend Dylan and Erins house where I wait almost an hour... for what?* For just the right stringed travel instrument, a cheap ukulele.* Thanks guys!

Stop to top off the tank in Cascade Locks.** Got gas also...

Off to the washington side of the gorge, starting my tracking app too.* When I figure out how to post and share my tracks, I'll post a link.

Maryhill museum:

Art.

Motorcycle!

Then back across the river to Oregon, where I bomb up I84 to the Condon Heppner highway and then to Ione, Oregon.* This is where my moms family went to school, bought groceries, etc.

And finally, day one is completed as I roll in to the farm (15 miles out of Ione) to spend the night with my grandma.* My mom happens to be down from MT as well as (one of) my aunts.*

Amy the 3-legged cow dog.* Old, super shaggy, and extremely loveable, this dog can keep up with most 4-leggers!

Thus ends day 1 of my moto journey to Canada. Would you like to see day 2?

P.S. I have no idea where the asterisks are coming from. Posting from an android htc g2 cellphone.
oisterska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
oisterska OP
d00b

Wicked awwww....

a breoken drive belt!

If there are any buellers who can ship me a belt for a 2009 ulysses, please email: kellen.hull at gmail.com.

Your help will be appreciated, and will be compensated!

Big thanks to mark and ty for getting me into okanagan WA. Stand up fellows. Now I just need another stand up fellow who can help me with a belt...

...please?

-Kellen
Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Try cross-posting this over in the Pacific North Wet regional forum for a little more added exposure. Good luck with the belt hunt!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,424
Good luck on getting a new belt. I am sorry it happened. I am a big Buell fan, and it dissapoints me greatly to hear of a broken belt. My friend lost his belt on his 09 ULY at 30,000 miles. ugg.
I should consider packing a spare belt on long rides.
I hope your trip will not be too interupted!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
I just blew a belt on my 08 a couple weeks ago and the local Harley dealer had them in stock. Might be worth calling around..........
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
S_Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
check your email, I have a belt not too far from you
Steve
S_Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
oisterska OP
d00b

So I've got a belt on the way, and am at a hotel. Thanks guys for the replies. Now for an update proper...

Day 2:

Me and ma at the farm. I'm heading out! Little did I know...

Man, I tell ya, frickin fortune cookies! Lunch in whatever town.

Made a wrong turn here and ended up with a 45 mile out'n'back detour. Forgot to take pics for a while... until:

Kirk (I think) stopped to chat as I was jacking some wifi in okanagan. Gave me some camping tips and mosied on his way.

Thanks for the tips Kirk! Nothing like some local knowledge. He sent me past Conconully to some spots near a few beautiful lakes, which is good because the bike was sure tired:

All rested!

My camp for the night:

Day 3 a.k.a. the day of much cursing:

My morning coffee was prepared on thiss homemade camp stove. Two pabst cans, some cotton and some denatured alchohol (I used some Heet), and voila! Cheaper and less expensive than an REI campstove, plus I got to drink the pabst!

All loaded up for day three.

As I was riding back to town checking out the scenery and avoiding boulders on the road when I lost drive power. I thought my clutch was out so I tried shifting up/down successfully. I roll to a stop and look behind me and see a black snakelike object laying in the road when it clicks: drive belt. Shit. I run back to pick it up when I hear a pickup rolling up. Two gentlemen stop and ask what's up and I tell my story. Well, Mark and Ty, two Idahoans with big hearts offer to help me get to town. We roll into Omak, grab some boards, and head the 25 miles back to my bike. (Not until after trying to tow me in initially. My arm is still tired, as I was not sure about tying to the bike. Fail!)

Here we are after loadng the bike. (Mark on the left, Ty on the right.)

In transit:

After much calling I end up with a belt on the way and a fine room with A/C at the Ponderosa Motor Lodge in Okanagan:

Well, the Ulysses isn't exactly a dual sport, but it is damn sure dual purpose. Drying my clothes:

And now y'all are caught up to where I am. Time to explore Okanagan. Stay tuned for more!

P.S. all this was done on my HTC G1. From the pics, to the ride report. Please excuse spelling and grammar errors.
-Kellen
Old 08-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Not to spoil the the flow you've got going here, but how far north into BC do you plan on venturing? Let me know if you plan on getting as far as Prince George. If you do, there's a spare room and cold beer waiting!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
oisterska OP
d00b

To answer your question, yes. Prince george is my northernmost destination. Here is a map of my intended route. Time depending, I may need to cut it short. PM me your email/phone. Thanks for the offer!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...cb418e6c466dbd.
Not sure how to embed...

Correction, I can't embed from my phone. Anyway, thanks again!
-Kellen
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
tipsymcstagger82
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Sweet report! I ride an 09 XB9SX caught your post on Buellxb. Glad to hear your getting your new belt soon! Love to hear about buells on adventure rider! Good Luck and have fun! Subscribed!
tipsymcstagger82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
oisterska OP
d00b

My first subscription! (I think, anyway.)

Stay tuned to see install pics for the belt as well as (hopefully) some sweet canada shots.

I'll end the day with some shos from lovely downtown Okanogan (I think I finally spelled it right!).

My metafoto:

A clock? (Fudged the framing)

Cena!

Okanagan courthouse:

And good night!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
oisterska OP
d00b

Day 4

So day four has me waiting for a belt. UPS shows my package delayed by aircraft issues, which means another night in lovely Okanogan Washington. There is NOTHING in Okanogan. No restaurants, no grocery store. Just gas, a bike shop, and ... some really fast schoolbuses! The pictures don't show it well, but those are spoilers. On schoolbuses! Sweet!

...oh, and some tractors. Sans spoilers.

The destination for the race buses (and perhaps a few tractors - frickin hickville Okanogan):

After exploring Okanogan (never again!) And picking up some tamales from a little tienda, I noticed this outside my window:

It turns out to be Kev and Lorraine from the UK who are 2 years and 59,000 miles into a RTW journey! Provided for some good company and a resource of information.

Check their website for their trip info. They are obviously not still stuck in Peru, just slacking off on their updates!
http://www.takingthelongwayhome.co.uk

That's probably it fer today.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Damn... this ADV world is just getting smaller and smaller! Kev and Lorraine were just at our house for a couple days the weekend before last!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 450
Hey, I have that same tent, and bike!

you're not me, are you?

The tent has served me well over 5 years, but doesn't work very well in loose dirt because you have to stake it for it to stay up. I found that out the hard way at Grand Teton NP; I had to find some big rocks to keep it from folding up on me.
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,226
great bike :o)
nice to promote the couple's trop btw

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote