Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #16
oisterska OP
d00b

Oddometer: 76
Thanks for the compliments guys! It's hard to tell, but the bike is blushing...

So waiting for the belt, I thought I'd relate some of the tips and questions/answers that Kev and Lorraine shared with me. (Answers are paraphrased.)

Q:* What were the top 3 countries you've visited on your RTW trip?
A:** Peru, Argentina, and Ghana.

Q:* What would you have done differently if you had a do-over?
A:* pt. 1 - Start with SE Asia instead of North Africa.* SE Asia is cheaper, and we sort of started off "a bit flashy" which put a small dent in the budget. (Nice hotels, etc.)
Pt.2 - no zippers.
Pt. 3 - no helmet comunnication device (passenger squeals and bitches on the sketchy bits. Guess who suggested this bit?)

Q:* Best wildlife?
A:* Africa. Elephants, hippos, etc.* All the big ones but lions, which is not a bad I suppose.* (North America got honorable mention with bears, elk, caribou, bison, etc..)

Q:* Did you have any run-ins with law enforcement?
A:* A few, but never payed a bribe. One fellow tried for $800 US in Peru.* Just keep saying 'I don't understand'.* Eventually they give up.

Q:* Any worries about bike theft?*
A:* At the beginning, but we got over it.* Most people in Africa wouldn't know what to do with the bits and pieces anyway.** More worried probably here in the US.

Q:* How about gear theft?
A:* Only in Bolivia (Ed.- I may have the country wrong there.)* Had a few travel pillows and a towel jacked. When we asked around and mentioned la policia the family which was letting them park in their garden said they'd look around.* Conveniently found everything and blamed their 3 year old.* (Ed.- Wow. Cheap.)

Stay tuned for day 5 update
oisterska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
oisterska OP
d00b

Day 5 - pt. 1 - the dissassembly.

At least the bike had some good company so as not to be afeared last night.

Still waiting on parts, thought I'd give y'all an update on the teardown for belt replacement. I got 75 % in before I remembered to snap some pics.

Here she is with the front pulley cover off as well as the peg bracket.

Close up.

Looks like the belt is rubbing on the inner belt guard. Debating leaving it off. Uly riders, does this look like a concern?

Everything off! (Lower beltguard inner/outer, peg bracket held out of way with bungees, rear fender off, swingarm piece off. I haven't loosened the belt tensioner yet. If I need to I'll do it when necessary.)
Old 08-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #18
slederchic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
So ya didn't like Okanogan huh?

But you liked camping at Sugarloaf near Conconully? Hope you get your belt soon so you can move on up the road.
slederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,266
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #20
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Old 09-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #21
oisterska OP
d00b

Really? My first :! Ooooh, I can see why people like doing this. And no, okanogan isn't the worst thing ever, just that there was nothing there. Not even a grocery. (I've got a new nickname for okanogan that I can't post here as my family is following the report). Beautiful camping at sugarloaf though. That much is true. Now where was I? (Or moreover, where am I?)

Day 5 - the reassembly.

So after tearing her down in anticipation of the new belt, I ended up waiting another couple hours til it arrived. Every passing semi and pickup had me running to check the front desk. Nerve wracking and tiring. Thankfully I had excellent company while I waited.

Then I heard it. Definitively, unequivocally, without a doubt, a UPS truck.

Yaaaaay!

Belt on, just a few more pieces and we are rolling.

Yours truly, working away contentedly. Surprisingly, easier going back together than coming apart. That new belt was sure tight though. Some claim its possible to put it on w/o lifting the rear (or laying it on its side, elevated by the side bag) by just loosening the belt tensioner bolts. Tried that, and got almost no extra play in the tensioner.

Kev and Lorraine commented that I'm not a seasoned traveler, and that it's obviated by the fact that I'm wearing all white. Duly noted. (Well, the clothes are hardly white now anyways.

Tadaaaaa!

From there it was a 45 min ride to the border, a 5 minute wait for a background check (I was pretty sure it was clean, but sweating bullets nonetheless) and hello Canada! No pics, as I needed to book it north to Kamloops BC in an attempt to avoid night riding. Unsuccessful. Rode over what were some presumeably georgous passes, but saw little more than a sea of black on either side of the road with a dark blue to black gradient at the horizon line leading to pricks of starlight. Still beautiful, but I'm insanely curious as to what was under that dark cloak of night.

Finally made it to Kamloops. I also understand the name Kamloops is derived from the fact that a person is required to drive in concentric loops until he stumbles upon his destination. Or maybe I just suck at navigating cities. Or navigating in general. Hmmm...

Finally I arrive at my cousin Donnies house where I am greeted with a huge smile and a pork skewer w/ rice, prepared while I waited. Of all the stereotypes of Canada/Canadians, perhaps the truest is their eerily exuberant kindness. Much thanks Donnie.

More Kamloops pics for tomorrow.

Also, a hugely helpful tool for this leg (and anywhere there is no cell signal or where I'm roaming but have wifi) has been my android phone configured with sipdroid and google voice. Free calling (in and out) plus free texts. No minutes used, and its all free free free.

Google voice, sipdroid (a voip app on my HTC G1), sipsorcery, ekiga.net. There's many tutorials for this setup or similar, and I recommend it to anyone with a smart phone who needs free voicemail, in/outbound calling, and text. Look it up, I'm sure some ADVers could benefit from this setup

Day five, over and out.

P.S. Sorry for all the words. Started the report without much to say, I guess. Wanted to keep it mostly pics w/ captions but hey,my story actually got dramatic. Moreso than I imagined (or even hoped). -K
Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #22
oisterska OP
d00b

Day 6 - Kamloops BC

Staying the day at Kamloops.* I slept in, went for a hike, and explored the town.* Mostly scenery and art shots guys, just a few motopics.

My lovely accomodations:

The view from the deck:

Went on a hike and had to cross under a bridge.* Penis!

The town of Kamloops.* Right on a confluence, surrounded by mountains.* My kinda country.

Peterson creek.

Motorcycle, along the S. Thompson river.

First shot had the light, this one has the framing spot on (in my humble opinion).
Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #23
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
I've got friends and relatives in Kamloops and they seem to like it.....

I've never really spent much time there to have a really good look at the town though....
Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #24
oisterska OP
d00b

Day 7 - oh my!

So I'm just gonna let day 7s photos speak for themselves.

An hour or so outta Kamloops (wide open throttle roads):

Motorcye!

Thus begins the jawdropping scenery:

See my road???? Yaayy!!

Purty.

More purty.

Double purty!

More to come perhaps...

oisterska screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 01:35 PM
Old 09-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #25
blue01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Hey, that doesn't look like the road to Prince George! That looks like the Duffy Lake Road: Lillooet to Pemberton/Whistler. Fantastic road, we did it a couple of months ago.

Great pics, Oregon. I love the country you're going through.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #26
BadWHooper
Quick, rather than Dead.

Oddometer: 220
Yeah Buell!

Great story and photos, but sorry to hear about your belt. I bought a spare as soon as I heard of the potential for breakage (so far so good on my 2006 X). I assume you're on BadWeb?

God bless the Buells...safe ride...

Solo Around Scotland (BMW R850R); AZ and UT (H-D Road King): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744536l; Death Valley & Vegas (BMW R1200GS): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926499; NW Colorado (BMW K1200GT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955168
BadWHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #27
BadWHooper
Quick, rather than Dead.

Oddometer: 220
One other thing...

Oh, and you have a headlight out.

Solo Around Scotland (BMW R850R); AZ and UT (H-D Road King): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744536l; Death Valley & Vegas (BMW R1200GS): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926499; NW Colorado (BMW K1200GT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955168
BadWHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #28
oisterska OP
d00b

Do I have a headlight out?? Which one? :)

Anyway, after resting up in Kamloops I did some pondering, and considering my time frame (hoped to be back saturday) I decided to head west and south instead. Can't pull one over on the ADVers! And I am sure I missed some good riding, but when I ended up in Tacoma at 5:00, I couldn't resist the urge to bomb it home. No pics for the end of the story, I was just killing it down I-5. My journey officially ended at 10:43pm, Friday the 2nd of September.

Thanks for following along everyone! It did kill me to cut the journey short... but its nice to be home too.

Now, to review some of the gear and tools/items i brought.

Pabst Can Camp Stove: worked quite well. Need a better stand, although the tent stakes worked well enough.

Sipdroid on my HTC G1 cell phone: Also worked quite well, but requires a better internet connection than is available at you house, Jim!

Sedici armored pants: a bit bulky, they came off at around 85 or 90 degrees. Just too much, perhaps a three season pant.

Tourmaster somethingorother: Beautiful. Layers inside and out for rain and cold. it was nice on the Connector into Kamloops at 11:00 at night.

Alpinestars boots: also great, after a winter and several summer trips.

Buell Ulysses: Great, except for that one little niggling complication.

Cab Driver Seat Cover: Great for airflow on hot days, and offers a change-up from the stock seat which is nice at times.

Canari riding shorts: Saved my ass, i suppose!

blah blah blah.

Thanks again for reading!
-Kellen

Edit: Oh, yeah! The customs agent i chatted with for re-entry mentioned that he had a Millenium X1, although briefly! He recognized the Uly right off the bat. He mentioned that something smelled... "hot". I told him it was my crotch. :)
Old 09-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #29
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
I'm enjoying your ride report and the great pics. Since I recently purchased an 09 XB12XT like yours, I wonder how many miles were on your bike when the belt broke? I now have almost 14k (4k since the middle of June). Just put in the EBR race ECM for the stock setup -- noticeably smoother.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #30
oisterska OP
d00b

Snapped one belt around 13k, so I figured with 6k on this one I was gonna be fine. Oops. Get a used or new spare is now gonna be my standard line!