ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
ANy changes in the riding up on the plains since the mine operation went in? Truck traffic on the AAA/510? I would assume no changes on the NW trail thru Dodge City due to the mine

AAA has been greatly "improved". Wide and solid mining road.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
AAA has been greatly "improved". Wide and solid mining road.
Guess that means we will be taking the NW route to run over to Big Eric's. Not looking to ride "improved". Could just run up and down 510 if wanted to run "improved".

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #18
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Guess that means we will be taking the NW route to run over to Big Eric's. Not looking to ride "improved". Could just run up and down 510 if wanted to run "improved".
"Progress".
Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
CharlieT
old school

Been way too much of that "progress" up around there in the last 30-40-50yrs. Heck, I remember needing a 4x4 or a true beater to haul the canoe back to Bear Lake or even the three Bass Lakes........... Now pvt property abounds.

How is the AAA going from Anderson's corner to Big Erics? Has that been "improved" too?? Or is all the improvement east on the AAA from the mine?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
kingbee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
ANy changes in the riding up on the plains since the mine operation went in? Truck traffic on the AAA/510? I would assume no changes on the NW trail thru Dodge City due to the mine
Just the thing I was wondering. We usually camp at one of a couple spots off AAA that I've found over the years. I'm hoping I can still do that. I've always thought of AAA as just a way into the area- I don't find the road itself all that interesting. I like NW road though. We also like to explore the roads that branch off AAA and Ford roads. Especially the ones that go north off the plains and into the woods- no sand!

Great blueberry picking up there now too.

Looks like great riding weather this weekend- cool days, chilly nights. Perfect!

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #21
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Been way too much of that "progress" up around there in the last 30-40-50yrs. Heck, I remember needing a 4x4 or a true beater to haul the canoe back to Bear Lake or even the three Bass Lakes........... Now pvt property abounds.

How is the AAA going from Anderson's corner to Big Erics? Has that been "improved" too?? Or is all the improvement east on the AAA from the mine?

Well they did improve it past the mine for a ways at least up to the spot where Jim got that rear flat and nobody had a tube about two years ago. But once you get down around where Mike broke his clutch cable closer to where I saw the wolves it is pretty much untouched.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
kingbee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Well they did improve it past the mine for a ways at least up to the spot where Jim got that rear flat and nobody had a tube about two years ago. But once you get down around where Mike broke his clutch cable closer to where I saw the wolves it is pretty much untouched.
Nice coordinates Cannon

It sounds like most of the "progress" is at the east end of AAA, is that right? We come in from Skanee, down Ford to AAA, and usually camp a mile or two east of Anderson's corner. Hopefully we'll still be able to do that. Where exactly is the mining operation?

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee View Post
Nice coordinates Cannon

It sounds like most of the "progress" is at the east end of AAA, is that right? We come in from Skanee, down Ford to AAA, and usually camp a mile or two east of Anderson's corner. Hopefully we'll still be able to do that. Where exactly is the mining operation?

Cheers,
Dave
Might be hard to see, but there is a "New Mine" waypoint in the middle of the green patches. Like you say, most of the work was done to the east. I think they did a little work on 510 running from AAA to Big Bay Road too. The "good stuff" is still good though.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 09:00 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:59 AM   #24
CharlieT
old school

Wolves, eh. My boy went out for a short ride behind our camp (east side of Independence across the Iron river) headed back thru the four corners. Came around a curve and there about 30 ft in front of him was a moose....blocking the whole two-track. Moose just stood there and looked at him and went back to its eating. Boy decide a 180 was the better choice for him.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #25
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
I think there's some logging going on someplace on the northwest road. I haven't ridden it through yet this year, but the west end was pretty nicely graded. So much so, I could probably my car through there with no problems.

Of course, like any logging operation road, once they stop maintaining it- it'll rapidly go back to shit. Or fun as the case may be.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #26
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Wolves, eh. My boy went out for a short ride behind our camp (east side of Independence across the Iron river) headed back thru the four corners. Came around a curve and there about 30 ft in front of him was a moose....blocking the whole two-track. Moose just stood there and looked at him and went back to its eating. Boy decide a 180 was the better choice for him.
Yeah Charlie, the area west of the mine is a good area for running into a moose or two. We ran up on some ourselves last year.

There is something you wouldn't have seen 30-40-50 years ago. Moose were pretty much extirpated until the reintroduction program in the mid-eighties.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #27
CharlieT
old school

Ever seen that postcard from Big Bay that's a pic of a moose walking across 550 somewhere near the Perkins Park entrance if I remember correct. Always reminded me of the opening sequence of that tv show "Northern Exposure"
(think it was headed to the LumberJack)

Old 09-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #28
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Ever seen that postcard from Big Bay that's a pic of a moose walking across 550 somewhere near the Perkins Park entrance if I remember correct. Always reminded me of the opening sequence of that tv show "Northern Exposure"
(think it was headed to the LumberJack)
Charlie, you are probably right about the Lumberjack.

I think we both know he never would have gotten in over at Thunder Bay.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #29
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,678
Watch your stuff out there now. This was only a few miles to the south.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...aspx?id=657938

It has the locals wondering WTF is going on.
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #30
CharlieT
old school

Well, hate to say it, but in my observation over the years, there are a fair number of borderline eco-freaks around the Marquette area.

Hey Cannonshot....ain't you got a pic of the Corner Store with the Moose on the roof???