ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #31
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
Hey Cannonshot....ain't you got a pic of the Corner Store with the Moose on the roof???
I don't think so Charlie, but next time you are in the mood for a short scenic stroll, ease over to Gobblers and take a look at what they've done with it.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #32
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,648
Gobbler's Knob...have a hard time getting used to it being called that.....50yrs ago it was called Tom's Rock, after mr. Thomas who owned the property.

Mixed feelings about what they done to it. Sure, now its all nice, park like almost, more accessible to more people, but...
that's also the down side. Was nothing like riding that last leg, making that 90deg turn up the rock face of the "road" and then riding right up and parking the bike on top of the rock and looking out and seeing the keweenaw on a clear day from the seat of your bike. Somewhere around here I probably got a few pics over the years of different bikes perched up there on the rocks.

"Progress"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #33
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Gobbler's Knob...have a hard time getting used to it being called that.....50yrs ago it was called Tom's Rock, after mr. Thomas who owned the property.

Mixed feelings about what they done to it. Sure, now its all nice, park like almost, more accessible to more people, but...
that's also the down side. Was nothing like riding that last leg, making that 90deg turn up the rock face of the "road" and then riding right up and parking the bike on top of the rock and looking out and seeing the keweenaw on a clear day from the seat of your bike. Somewhere around here I probably got a few pics over the years of different bikes perched up there on the rocks.

"Progress"
Yeah Charlie, it'll never be the same. I really miss the old days too.

Seems like it was just yesterday Henry Ford himself was buying me a beer at the 'Jack asking me if I knew anyone that could help him get into the Huron Mountain Club.

Edit: I should have mentioned that when the Thomas family donated the land, it was with the provision that the name be the "Thomas Rock Trail" so I think you will be fine referring to it as such.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 10:43 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #34
CharlieT
old school

Cool, I've mentioned Tom's rock to folks at the looked at me like ..What, Where?

Just a thought here, I think the old Ford factory is for sale. Would make a good base of operations for Cannonshot's UP Adventure Tours and Motorcycle Campground.
Ever been into the Mtn CLub?? When I was a kid, would ride in with our neighbor, Jack Peterson, who was the Milk Man and made deliveries to the club. He'd let us kids ride along once on a while. Some impressive little camp cabins.

oh, here's a shot from Tom's Rock.....probably very similar to a pic from Gobble's Nob. Taken before "progress"!

Old 09-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #35
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Just a thought here, I think the old Ford factory is for sale. Would make a good base of operations for Cannonshot's UP Adventure Tours and Motorcycle Campground.

Neat idea about the old bowling pin factory, but I'm thinking with the roof as bad as it is the place is probably in rough shape.

Well, even though they changed things at the knob, at least they didn't change the view (at least not TOO much).
Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #36
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Regarding the original topic of this thread, looks like Curtis and crew have been taking in some lousy (stormy) weather on their ride. It will be interesting to hear from them.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #37
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Charlie, I don't know if you ever met Ben Mukkala. He is an old military flier. He writes some conversational style books - the kind you find on racks in gas stations and restaurants. I think he used to write a newspaper column as well. One of the books is about Big Bay and the Hurons. You might snatch a copy as I'm sure it will bring back some familiar memories for you. I see it is on Amazon.

Touring Guide Big Bay and Huron Mountains

Ben's Web Site

I enjoyed his Copper, Timber, Iron, and Heart.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #38
CharlieT
old school

Just got back from a weekend ride up M22 with a bunch of ADV'ers. Just ordered the last copy Amazon had of Ben's book. Don't recall that one, but I know there are a couple of local books we have picked up over the years from places like the Gift shop and the outfitters.

check your pm's Cannonshot.

CharlieT screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 07:39 AM
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #39
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
check your pm's Cannonshot.
I'm with you on that Charlie.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #40
motoxer667 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Regarding the original topic of this thread, looks like Curtis and crew have been taking in some lousy (stormy) weather on their ride. It will be interesting to hear from them.

Well, I got home around 7:45 tonight after 11 hours and 55 minutes of driving. It was a busy week with 1345 miles in the truck and 1060 miles on the bike.

We had just a little rain on Saturday while we had lunch, so it wasn't bad. Yesterday it was windy, and raining most of the day and temps were in the 40's most of the day too.

motoxer667 screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 08:08 PM Reason: wording
motoxer667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #41
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxer667 View Post
Yesterday it was windy, and raining most of the day and temps were in the 40's most of the day too.
A nice welcome to the group coming in from the Carolinas.

(Although they just had a hurricane I guess.)
Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 AM   #42
CharlieT
old school

Should we have warned them that there have been times that I can remember it snow/sleeting on labor day weekend before up there??

Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #43
motoxer667 OP
Studly Adventurer

We met up with them at the bar Sunday night. They asked us to point out the bad spots. I couldn't come up with any. I just kept saying "This section is really nice".

They rolled out about 7:30 yesterday morning with the temps in the high 40's. They were headed the southern route to St. Ignace.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #44
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Should we have warned them that there have been times that I can remember it snow/sleeting on labor day weekend before up there??
I told them about the 36 degrees we had in August on one of the Treks . . . and the 40s and cold rain.

But, they'll warm up soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxer667 View Post
We met up with them at the bar Sunday night. They asked us to point out the bad spots. I couldn't come up with any. I just kept saying "This section is really nice".

They rolled out about 7:30 yesterday morning with the temps in the high 40's. They were headed the southern route to St. Ignace.
Glad you had a nice time Curtis. Hope the custom route worked out well for you.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #45
motoxer667 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I told them about the 36 degrees we had in August on one of the Treks . . . and the 40s and cold rain.

But, they'll warm up soon enough.

Glad you had a nice time Curtis. Hope the custom route worked out well for you.
It worked great. The other guys were impressed with my ability to know where we were going. It wasn't me I told them it was the tracks you created.

I did modify your tracks slightly to add more single on day two (St. Ignace back to Gwinn).