User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
BeezaBoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I Love Lussier.

As far as I can remember, this is to be my first ever ride report.
Iíve written several off-line, but lazy/busyness always caught up with me and thatís as far as it got.

I had planned on a solo ride. Summer in my business is when I find the most work. Unfortunately, we have a short summer here in the rockies, and I donít get much riding in. I spend most of my days in the family restaurant.

Tuesday, two days before my only days off this summer, I found out there was a Horizonís Unlimited meeting in Nakusp. I used to be an active member on that website, and it led to me purchasing a used F650 in Germany several years ago Ė but thatís for another RR.

A day before I was to set off, my girlfriend happened to be able to get a couple days off as well.

Though sheís spent lots of time on the back of my bike, J is a newish rider and has never piloted her own bike on a multi-day highway trip.

We did have some fun in Moab earlier this year until I smashed up my leg and broke my ankle etc... But thatís another story.

Thursday morning I was moping about, trying to decide whether to load the dirt bikes in the truck, or head out on the big bike. A few years ago a friend of mine dumped my 950 on the highway, and itís been a long slow road getting it back to road-worthiness.
We finally decided on a big-bike ride, and commenced packing up the gear.

It was after noon before we headed out. The sun was shining, and the wind was calm. It turned out to be a beautiful August day.
Concrete and asphalt are the only (legal) ways out of Banff National Park on the bikes, so we had about 115 km of pavement to burn! We got out of town ASAP as Banff is very busy this time of year.
Heading West on the Trans-Canada we stopped at the Red Earth Creek pullout to check the luggage we haphazardly placed on the back of the bikes. A few euro-tourists glanced at the bikes, but we mostly get ignored around here, and thatís a good thing!

From the Trans-Canada Highway, we turned off on hwy 93 heading south. This is a very beautiful road, but there is a multitude of deer surrounding parts of it. It was one of these deer my buddy tried to avoid and ended up nearly wrecking the big 950.
Like I was saying, 115 km outside of Banff is Settlers Road. With a quick turn of the handlebars you are off the tourist trap that is highway 93 and into some gravel road bliss! There is active logging, so you have to watch the corners, but there is much to explore in this area. The scenery is pretty great, and there are many old logging trails to ride up and explore Ėas long as you have extra gas.

We almost always see at least one bear whenever we travel in this area. This time we saw a beautiful young black bear. Its coat glimmered in the sun, but it was very spooked of the bikes and took off down the hill into the woods before we could get the camera out.

J (my girlfriend) had drained the Kolpin fuel pack about half-way, and my 950 indicated I had been on reserve for longer than I would like, when we started to see signs of civilization.

I pulled over to look at this gravel pit (obviously not a Fucking Dump), when I realized J wasnít in the rear view anymore. A minute later she came roaring down the hill on her FMF equipped KLX250s, giving me the thumbs up. I would only learn later that she had been distracted by a cemetery sign and ridden into the ditch coming down a hill. She managed to stay on the bike and ride it out Ė good girl!

We gassed up at the ďFamily PantryĒ and grabbed a snack and some beer. It was smokiní hot for us. We rarely see any day hit 30 C, and the usually comfy Motoport gear was almost stifling. I was regretting getting the black colour for the first time! Oh well, Iím sure it will be freezing in no time.

We then headed to familiar territory: Lussier Hot Springs. There are some really amazing ďfreeĒ campsites in the area above the hot pools, and we decided to stay at one particular site way up a hill that we had scouted during an earlier trip in the truck. Unfortunately the only other people there had the same idea!
We ended up choosing one just below them, hoping that they were maybe on their way out. We made a quick supper of Tuna and Spaghetti and Beer, and proceeded to set up camp.

The other campers ended up moving to another site, so we got to relocate to our preferred area.

We decided to head down to the natural hot pools.

I know, Iím breaking ATGATT, and thereís nothing I can say to make it better. But, I didnít crash this time.

This was our dishwashing station on the way to the pools.

Ahhhhhhh, the hot springs. The top one is about 43 degrees (C), and the lower ones are still quite warm. Sometimes during the week you have the pools all to yourself, but not today.

I felt like I could stay in there all night, but we were getting groggy and had to head back up the mountain to camp.

If you look closely at the Kawi you can see a small alien sitting on the seat. I know many of you have photos of Bigfoot, but we got a real outer space alien in a spacesuit! He must have been drawn to the green bike for obvious reasons.

More to follow...
BeezaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
very much enjoying this ride report
thanks for taking us along with you
looking forward to more
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,287
Neat
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Ramage
needs improvement

Oddometer: 208
Beautiful country, BeezaBoy! You and J have a great time!
I bought a KLX250 as a second bike for scouting in and around a National Forest nearby
and I am really enjoying its' go anywhere capablity.
Thanks for writing it up.

Ramage screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 07:55 AM
Ramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
BeezaBoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

continued...

Next morning we slept in Ďtill about 10. The girlfriend woke me up thinking there was a bear outside the tent, but it was just me snoring.

We headed down the road to Canal Flats and stopped in the Fire Valley 98 restaurant. Breakfast was over, but I had a nice Wagon Burger with some really good spice in it. J had a Grilled Ham & Cheese.

We decided to go check out a lake I had been to several years ago, but wasnít really sure what the name was or where it was. We followed my memory and found Whitetail Lake. The road there is a slightly rougher gravel logging road through some really nice areas. Someone told us it was possible to ride to Invermere Ė a nice town not far Ė using a hunting trail system. I will definitely look for this next time Iím in the area.

We went for an exploratory ride up Findlay Creek road and found a few nice campsites. Also, there was a memorial plaque set into stone just above the creek. Itís really a beautiful place for someone to be remembered.

The temperature was breaking 30 C so we had to stop in the shade for a bit.

Back at Whitetail lake there was a bunch of teenage ducks playing around in the water Ė splashing and chasing and wasting energy in general.

Apparently this lake has some huge Rainbow trout. The minimum length you can keep one is Ĺ a meter! Iíll have to come back with fishing rods next time.
We had a nice chilled-out evening and enjoyed some beers and the scenery.

We woke up early the next morning to head back to Banff. Both of us were required at work in the evening.
We took Settlers Road from Canal Flats back to highway 93. There was much more traffic (Saturday), with most people carrying kayaks or canoes. It was a dusty ride, but still beautiful

Next farkle for Jís bike: the new 3 gallon IMS tank. Also, some sort of luggage system would be nice. Weíve been looking at the Wolfman soft bags...

Back in Banff the streets were busy, and we had to rush back to work.
Canít wait for the next trip!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Great photo...

TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Great RR! I agree the above picture is awesome. Thanks for sharing--Canada is so beautiful, even the rural roads look stunning. The amount of luggage J carried was just perfect.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Xequence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Cool trip! My son and I just got back from Banff, beautiful country there but tons of tourists... I would have loved to have taken the bike, but when I travel with my son I take the car. It's awesome that you guys share a hobby and both have wheels
Xequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Southpawman
Overpowered by Funk

Oddometer: 280
Great RR!

Beautiful country, and most excellent RR!

'89 R100GS - El Chivo Blanco
'94 R100M - The Pink Bike
ABC 8573
MOA 129626
RA 30960
ECV 1.5
Southpawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
BeezaBoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the kind words!

InvalidXequence, is your son too old or too young to ride pillion? Being a passenger on my uncle's bike asa little kid really got me hooked on the sport.
I am very lucky to have a girlfriend who shares my enthusiasm for the sport. And now that she's got her own set of wheels it's even more fun! Nothing better than sharing a great ride with someone who is new to biking - the sense of adventure is very fresh with J!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Great photos, and another area as yet to be explored by me, that will soon change. Thanks for the report.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
RsZk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.
RsZk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
still enjoying every installment
well done
looks like a great time
thanks for sharing it with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Xequence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezaBoy View Post
Thanks for the kind words!

InvalidXequence, is your son too old or too young to ride pillion? Being a passenger on my uncle's bike asa little kid really got me hooked on the sport.
I am very lucky to have a girlfriend who shares my enthusiasm for the sport. And now that she's got her own set of wheels it's even more fun! Nothing better than sharing a great ride with someone who is new to biking - the sense of adventure is very fresh with J!
My apologies for an extremely late reply, I don't have my subscription thingy set up right :). My son just turned 11 this January so he's about the right age (Lol, old enough to not fall off I hope!) but my bike is a KLR and it's not really comfortable for long distance 2up. I do plan on taking him on longer trips though, as so far I've only taken him around town on it. I plan on taking a trip through the rockies this summer on my bike (probably solo) and I'm looking forward to the scenery, so much better than in the car!
Xequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Hey man, next time bring one more chair

Love the wild ride like that. Thanks for share.

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote