Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #31
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Awesome bridge Brad. I have to get out to that one, maybe I can even beat BigDog to this one!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #32
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Riding on Donahue Road..................

Click on photos to view videos...........

more to come......

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #33
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

video going up Fire Tower Road......

The tower.......

coming down the other side of Fire Tower Road.....

The re-route into Iowa and north across the bridge at lansing and then east to Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin is a much more scenic route than the original.
For those with just enough time for a one day ride, try looping the new route (Wisconsin River to Lansing Iowa and then to Soldiers Grove) with the old route (Soldiers Grove to the Wisconsin River). The old as well as new tracks are both available HERE.

Here is a big to Chad who did an awesome job putting the trail together and continuing to improve it!

Ride safe Brad
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
Super Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Nice to see your thread revived, Brad. That was me (on the KLR) and my buddy Dale (on the DR) that you ran into last year near Black River Falls. I remember that we rode that awesome rustic road together and hit the deep sand trail together. I bit it hard in the sand when my front fender tool bag came loose and jammed into my fork and tire. Whomp- face first into the deep sand. Never saw you guys again after that! But we made it to Duluth and back. We even did the trip again a month ago, during the big floods up north.

Awesome that you rode back up to finish what you started! Hope to see you around.

Super Sport screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 07:31 PM Reason: typos
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #35
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_adv;19223041
The re-route into Iowa and north across the bridge at lansing and then east to Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin is a much more scenic route than the original.
For those with just enough time for a one day ride, try looping the new route (Wisconsin River to Lansing Iowa and then to Soldiers Grove) with the old route (Soldiers Grove to the Wisconsin River). The old as well as new tracks are both available [URL="http://www.lonewolfexpeditions.com/twatgps.html"
HERE[/URL].

Here is a big to Chad who did an awesome job putting the trail together and continuing to improve it!

Ride safe Brad
Glad you got a chance to ride that section!
I think the Iowa section is the highlight of Day 1, very fun roads. Actually Eastern Iowa is awesome for DS riding. If you look on my site you should be able to find the file for the 2008 Great River Gravel Ride, which has some of the best roads in that area.

If you haven't downloaded it yet, I have a brand new file that fixes some errors and adds in more ATV trail sections. Its on my site and on Dualsportmaps.com
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #36
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sport View Post
Nice to see your thread revived, Brad. That was me (on the KLR) and my buddy Dale (on the DR) that you ran into last year near Black River Falls. I remember that we rode that awesome rustic road together and hit the deep sand trail together. I bit it hard in the sand when my front fender tool bag came loose and jammed into my fork and tire. Whomp- face first into the deep sand. Never saw you guys again after that! But we made it to Duluth and back. We even did the trip again a month ago, during the big floods up north.

Awesome that you rode back up to finish what you started! Hope to see you around.

I do remember you guys, and I remember your fender bag falling off more than once. I was following you on a blacktop road and had to swerve to miss the bag as it landed on the road in front of me. Glad to here you were able to finish your ride.
The TWAT is an awesome ride!!

Brad
Old 08-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #37
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzx1000r View Post
Awesome bridge Brad. I have to get out to that one, maybe I can even beat BigDog to this one!

Kim,

The first time I was on a bridge like this, with a steel grated deck was in 1978. The bridge crossed the river at Pekin, Illinois. I was on a Suzuki Water Buffalo I had just installed a Vetter WindJammer on. It was raining and the steel deck was slick. I layed the bike down and busted my new faring up. Its kinda silly, but I am nervous everytime I cross a bridge with a steel grated deck. Not many left anymore.

Brad
Old 08-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #38
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post
Glad you got a chance to ride that section!
I think the Iowa section is the highlight of Day 1, very fun roads. Actually Eastern Iowa is awesome for DS riding. If you look on my site you should be able to find the file for the 2008 Great River Gravel Ride, which has some of the best roads in that area.

If you haven't downloaded it yet, I have a brand new file that fixes some errors and adds in more ATV trail sections. Its on my site and on Dualsportmaps.com

Chad,
I downloaded the 2008 Great River Gravel Ride file to MapSource and started looking it over in Google Earth. I could not find a ride report. If there was one, please let me know where to find it.

thanks, Brad
Old 08-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #39
spconley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I know this thread is old, but I was just curious if a bike like a Versys or a V-strom 650 could ride the TWAT? Would those kind of bikes need to mount more aggressive tires? Is it mostly just gravel roads with minor stream crossings, or is there more difficult areas/single-track etc?

Also, you mentioned carrying a firearm in your tank bag, but I thought Wisconsin had draconian gun laws? Do they honor out of state CCW's?
spconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #40
Halsy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I rode the TWAT four weeks ago solo on a 1971 Cl 350 Honda (one of the original adventure bikes) that also included 270 miles to get to the start and 380 miles home. Your bikes will be just fine, It's not about the bike it's about the ride. Go have some adventure it will be fun!
Halsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #41
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by spconley View Post
Also, you mentioned carrying a firearm in your tank bag, but I thought Wisconsin had draconian gun laws? Do they honor out of state CCW's?
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...ry/reciprocity
Old 08-31-2013, 01:28 AM   #42
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I rode the southern part of the TWAT last week on my f 650 gs. This part was easy, but from what I gather from reports it gets a little trickier the farther north you go. I am riding the trail from Viola to Black River Falls area this Sunday. I can give you trail reports if you like, or if you wanna ride along that would be even better! PM me if interested.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #43
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
The TWAT is a great ride and we had a blast when we did it. Glad your enjoying it. Good report Brad!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #44
spconley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Thanks Cannonshot, I didn't realize Wisconsin changed their ways... Now if Illinois would just follow suit, law abiding citizens could actually get to Wisconsin without committing a felony...

And thanks for the invite FBR, I haven't checked back here since I posted last... I would like that, unfortunately, I don't have a bike right now or else I would join you! I've been on sportbikes/Ducati's mostly and I'm trying to find something that does a little of both (e.g. versys) well enough to ride the twat but still be fun on the tarmac... In the end I think I'll be getting both a naked/standard and a small dual sport bike...

Thanks everyone for the replies, the vintage Honda must have been fun, I've contemplated something along the lines of that as well...

And yes, a ride report would be way cool... Mostly, I'm just curious if I ride out to near Galena (or wherever it starts at the Illinois border), is it easy to find the start of the trail? And is it well marked along the entire route up to Lake Superior or do you really need a gps or some decent pilotage? Is camping along the way easy to find, or are cheaper hotels available not to far away with easy "on/off" trail access? Unless I find someone on here to go with, I'd probably be doing it solo and haven't the foggiest about the logistics regarding staying on course and where to sleep along the way, and how many days it should take... Is it it pretty much a one or two day trip? Thanks again!
spconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #45
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I think it would be an easy 3 day trip.
You sound like me, went through many sport bikes, the last being a 2010 Duc 1098 Streetfighter. Sold it a few months ago and bought a F650 gs. So far I love it, and have taken it on the TWAT as far as Yuba. I have not had the time to get any farther. It does ok in the gravel, but I will need to get some more aggressive dirt tires on for the sand.
I like it so much I am doing the TAT on it next summer!
Pm me if you ever wanna ride, as I only live an hour away from most of the southern half of the TWAT.
BTW, how about a Hyper, or a Multi? Love em both! I've owned a 851, 996, M900, and the Streetfighter. Love the Ducs.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote