Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 AM   #31
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,316
I'm not an expert on scooters, but I've read enough to know that SYM is one of the more respected non Japanese scooters, along with Kymco.

If they can make high quality, well received scooters, I'm sure their bike will be high quality also. If nothing more, they've got a reputation to protect.

Being an OEM engine manufacturer for Honda is just icing on the cake.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:05 AM   #32
bultacosherpa
n00b

Oddometer: 1
sym wolf

For more information on Sym Wolf, you can look at our Spanish website.
a greeting.

www.classicbike.galeon.com

http://symwolf.superforos.com/index....83b0797816e809
bultacosherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #33
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I can't read spanish, but it looks like you like the Wolf - I'll have to find a translator...Thanks!
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #34
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

CS sprocket

Quote:
This is were I got my 17t counter shaft sprocket, if there is anyone looking, and you don't have to cut the chain.
Les
Les, I think you have the right sprocket - at least it's the same spline (20/18/4 mm) as the stock one. I did get a 20/16/4 from PBI that fills the splines all the way (but it doesn't have the keeper holes, drat). Anyway, I noticed on my classic that the stock 16t was causing the chain to barely rub the engine case, So I'd think the 17t will be too large - MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOURS!

so the gearing adventure continues for me - the hunt for a rear 37t sprocket or an offset 17t front. One possibility is to go 420 or non-Oring 428.
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #35
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
Very cool little bike! Thanks for sharing!

I owned a SYM HD200 scooter. Dead reliable, and the fit and finish was without reproach. It was better than the Aprilia that I now own.

SYM appear to have a gift for wringing performance out of small-displacement four-strokes. The SYM HD200 is actually a 175, and will comfortably cruise at over 70 mph. 15 horses on a small, light bike such as this is nothing to scoff at. 85 mpg also sounds sweet.

Only bike? You'd have to be pretty dedicated to ride it cross-country, I suspect. Low-cost grocery-getter, spare bike, fun bike, girlfriend/wife bike or something to throw on a hitch carrier and bring along on family trips? Yeah, boss!
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #36
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Les, I think you have the right sprocket - at least it's the same spline (20/18/4 mm) as the stock one. I did get a 20/16/4 from PBI that fills the splines all the way (but it doesn't have the keeper holes, drat). Anyway, I noticed on my classic that the stock 16t was causing the chain to barely rub the engine case, So I'd think the 17t will be too large - MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOURS!

so the gearing adventure continues for me - the hunt for a rear 37t sprocket or an offset 17t front. One possibility is to go 420 or non-Oring 428.
Check out Ebay, they buyer is hunterh01, 428 17 TOOTH FRONT ENGINE SPROCKET ATV BIKE 20MM ES27 - $9.95 shipped.

And yes, it does rub just a bit underneath the sprocket cover. Just ride it a few miles after installing it, and you will be able to see exactly where it rubs. 5 minutes with a dremel to shave off a millimeter or two, not too much. Make sure and warm up the sprocket and chain first. It expands just a bit when warm, and will appear to have clearance just sitting there spinning the wheel by hand on the centerstand cold, but after riding a few minutes it might still rub (had to shave mine twice).

First gear is now actually usable, less shifting overall, and the engine feels a bit more relaxed in the 55-60 mph range. The revs are really getting frantic above 65-70 mph, but if you go with taller gearing it will reduce your top speed. 14.8 hp for a 150cc that's really light is peppy and fun, but it just won't pull it's potential of 75+ mph if the motor is too far below the power peak. Cruising at 55-60 mph is good with the 17t, but with even taller gearing it would fall below the power band and any headwind or incline would probably require full throttle to maintain speed or even a downshift ( I weigh 165 lbs).
gitsum79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #37
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
A guy at work had one of these 125cc. 1 year later story.

Contact lights will break, Chrome is starting to get signs of rust. (He does not really clean it a lot but still...)
Engine kickstart has signs of rust. The chain / sprockets are worn and in need of replacement.

But the engine is still running without any serious wrenching.

He wish he had bought a second hand 200x honda CBR125... / older 400cc

My guess. It's still chinese. check for wear & loose bolts. Put a decent chain on it & don't let it stand out in the rain a lot...
Old 01-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #38
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunow - 007 View Post

Contact lights will break, Chrome is starting to get signs of rust. (He does not really clean it a lot but still...)
Engine kickstart has signs of rust. The chain / sprockets are worn and in need of replacement.

But the engine is still running without any serious wrenching.

He wish he had bought a second hand 200x honda CBR125... / older 400cc

My guess. It's still chinese. check for wear & loose bolts. Put a decent chain on it & don't let it stand out in the rain a lot...
The Sym Wolf Classic 150 is most definitely made in Taiwan, not in China or even outsourced to China like some Kymco, Honda, Piaggio, ect. models. It is pretty much the same motorcycle as a CB125 (proven design and quality) with a few modern updates. Sym actually made small Honda's in Taiwan in the '70's and early 80's, the same way they do now. I don't know if the European 125cc version is outsourced to China or not?

As far as corroding chrome or a rusty kick starter? Well, if it was never washed, exposed to salt and left in the weather, it doesn't matter who manufactured it, this is most likely to happen. Run any chain driven motorcycle for a year as a commuter racking up significant mileage, and if you didn't clean and lubricate the chain regularly, the components get worn out

gitsum79 screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 05:57 PM
gitsum79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #39
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
My Aprilia rusted in spots after a year, and it's washed and garage kept. There is no comparison between Taiwanese quality and that of mainland China. I owned a SYM, and it was first-rate in all respects. You can trash anything by hard use and improper care.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #40
3 up
Les in LV

Oddometer: 146
17t

Quote:

Just need a little touching with the die grinder and it's all good
Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #41
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That's an interesting report of what is apparently a not coddled bike.

I think most of us wished we had picked up a few older small bikes 15 years ago when they were more common and cheaper. I've been looking for a decent Honda (CL90 to CB125) for years but either the bikes are neglected, missing paper, or the owner wants too much (for me). The few decent bargains are scooped before I can respond - I have to drive 3 hours to the LA area. In the meantime I've picked up a couple small dualsports but face it, XT225 and the like are plain ugly compared to the stylish little street bikes of the past.
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #42
A_Vasiliev
M-ass-ter Craftsman

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
In the meantime I've picked up a couple small dualsports but face it, XT225 and the like are plain ugly compared to the stylish little street bikes of the past.
If someone can turn this big bag of ugly

Into this

On what is basically a small budget, then I think you can turn your ugly XT225 into anything you want, given some time and effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
Not going to happen.
A_Vasiliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #43
3 up
Les in LV

Gearing

Quote:

Just installed a 3.50 IRC GP 1 tire it's 2" taller I may go back to the stock 16t now, I just did a little die grinding and all was good for clearance.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #44
3 up
Les in LV

My scrambler project Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326392918.758825.jpg
Views: 2692
Size:  55.5 KB

It's simple ride more work less!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #45
A_Vasiliev
M-ass-ter Craftsman

Oddometer: 1,384
That scrambler is looking good. Are you thinking of adding a high-pipe to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
Not going to happen.
A_Vasiliev is offline   Reply With Quote