Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Toddd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
VT500 Ascot Starting Problems

Hello,

I have done a lot of research regarding this and am familiar with the starter clutch and solenoid issues. My issue is a little different. My symptoms are as follows:
When cold the bike starts perfectly.
When hot (after riding 1hr+) it cranks to slow to start.
However, when hot, you can bump start it with no issues.

I have clean the solenoid and it appears to function fine. Can the solenoid get worn and not carry enough current when hot to turn the starter motor fast enough?
Is it getting vapor locked a little and it's too stressful for the starter motor?

Any ideas would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Toddd
Old 03-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 614
Battery is the first thing Id check. Is there a sticker on the battery indicating age/date of manufacture. Can you try jumping the bike from another vehicle when it is warm? If it turns over and fires up OK would indicate battery. If it still fails to turn over with a confirmed power source then you can move on testing rest of the system. With a voltmeter across the battery terminals what does the voltage show when you are trying to start it hot? What voltage are you seeing on the starter side of the solenoid when you are trying to start it hot?

Johann screwed with this post 03-28-2015 at 03:27 PM
Johann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,749
In happy automobile land poor cranking only when hot is usually a starter motor on its way out. Before you condemn it complete the battery check and make sure the motor and battery grounds are good. If all of that passes muster it is likely your starter motor is going bad.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
mach1mustang351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
In happy automobile land poor cranking only when hot is usually a starter motor on its way out. Before you condemn it complete the battery check and make sure the motor and battery grounds are good. If all of that passes muster it is likely your starter motor is going bad.
This is the best answer. In the hot rod world adding headers and such can put a lot of heat into the starter causing them to act up. Not sure about the Ascot but if there is a design issue causing it to gather a bunch of heat maybe some heat wrap or adapting a shield might act as a bandaid... but more likely it needs a new starter. As stated, verify battery, check connections first.
mach1mustang351 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:02 AM   #5
Toddd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thanks for the info, friends. If warmer weather ever shows its face up here, the fluke will be busy.
Thanks again,
Toddd
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
There is a big multi-connector behind the headlight that a huge number of wires go through. If it gets loose or dirty, it can affect starting.
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
1953 Matchless G80 trials
LC4Dakar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4Dakar View Post
There is a big multi-connector behind the headlight that a huge number of wires go through. If it gets loose or dirty, it can affect starting.
IIRC, there's actually more than one. It's not a bad idea to pull all those off and re-seat them after smearing on a little dielectric grease.

The solenoid can be sketchy. You can disassemble it (carefully!), file the contacts clean, and reassemble. I had to do that every couple of years on mine until I finally bought a universal replacement solenoid for ~$10 on ebay last year. Despite the listing, it was not a direct fit for the Ascot, but I came up with a simple, clean mod to make it work. Photos are in the Yahoo Ascot group if you're interested.

Of course you can bypass all that by just jumpering the battery and starter terminals on the solenoid with a piece of heavy wire. If that doesn't fix it, you'd seem to have a starter problem. If it does fix it, concentrate on the solenoid.