Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
RockyRue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
First Ride on my CL350

A little cross post from HondaTwins
I found a local gas station that sells ethanol free gas so decided to take the bike out and fill her up.
I put enough gas into the tank to get me there, then filled it up and took off on the first ride. West of Hillsboro, into Cornelius and then into the country side. Most of the roads are 45-55 mph through the farmland. Found a roundabout and was tempted to do a few loops, but decided against it. Head around with no particular destination in mind for about 30 minutes. Lots of slow easy curves past farmhouses and barns. Saw the sign for the freeway and headed for it. Bike is running good. A little off idle flat spot but starts pulling hard at about 4000rpm. Make it to the freeway and drop a gear to accelerate on the freeway.
I just realized that I never downshift on any of my other bikes when I get on the freeway. 1000cc Aprilia don't need to downshift. 350cc Honda do.
On the freeway, up to 55mph indicated, shift into 5th. Motor is humming right above 5000rpm. Speed limit on the freeway is 55, I am in the slow lane, right tire track doing 55 and getting passed by EVERYONE. I took her up to 60 no problem, then 65. I am now up to the speed of traffic and the bike is running good. Stable, no bad sounds, no misses, looking good. Feels good to be on the bike, even on the freeway. Eventually, I see my exit in 1 mile and go WFO. 70mph and everything is good, exit the freeway and decide to do a bit of a brake check. This is a long ramp so I start grabbing front brake and slow down reasonably well. One more 55mph street and then turn back to my house.
Now something weird is happening. The first stop sign I come to and the bike almost dies. Idle is real low. I keep her running and take off. The off idle problem seems to be gone. A little Italian tuneup might have helped. At the 2nd stop light the bike does die. I see fuel in the lines to the carbs. The bike was idling great before I took it on the freeway. I only have 2 more turns and I am home so no problem.
Home safe, shut her down.
New Tires
New brakes
New brake cable
New brake light switch
new points
new condenser
valves checked
valve chain tensioner checked and set
Oil change
Carbs rebuilt
New fuel lines
New O-Ring in petcock
New gas cap seal
New sparkplugs
new pod filters (Note: only until I can get some replacement OEM and paint my side panels, I am not doing the cafe thing)
new battery
New chain
new sprockets
Fuel tank cleaned
Countless hours in the garage (many beers and a few busted knuckles)
Undocumented amount of money (don't tell the wife please)

An afternoon out on a 43 year old bike...
Priceless
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 871
CV carbs and PODs don't mix well - thats the "off-idle" stumble

Probably crap in carbs - been disturbed? Timing slipped a bit - points bedding-in? Loose wire - check battery connections & all ignition connections too !
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Battery all good and charging? My old Yamaha used to spit at idle sometimes when the battery was low until it was charged up to about 13.3v.

I have pods (K&N)on my Honda CB900 and they are fussy.Way I bought it,one day I'll go back to stock set-up when I find the parts cheap enough.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote